Player Town Designs

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Blake Blackstone, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Those areas are areas for potential lot placement, and yes as far as we know, if that was a template then all lot placement would need to be inside those areas. That is what a template is all about. That is why when designing them they should have enough of those areas to suit a metropolis + some extra areas to be as re-usable as possible. All this assuming that more player designed templates will even be chosen to be created and added to the list.

2. Jade

Jade Avatar

Root I really like your plan. And to Weins, lets hope that there are several different styles to pick from! I perfer organized with a large gathering of homes around the town square. There are other plans in this post that has them more spread out. Again I just hope that we get a variety that is large enough so that each player can choose something that fits his/her style. Oh, an I was confused by your comment that a hamlet cannot hold 12 city lots...the image has the correct number of lots on it to be a hamlet. I believe we have a lot of "space" to place the city lots. Maybe I am mistaken but that's what I thought.

Miracle Dragon and Barnabas Root like this.
  3. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I think I see your conundrum because it sounds the same as the one I raised before. The solution from Port is that they will over-zone city lots: i.e. they will place more city lots in a template than can be used. However, this won't alter the maximum number of placeable lots for that type.

I'm not entirely convinced that will be acceptable for row lots though. Especially if we want densely placed row lots. It is hard to know how much of a problem this is without interaction with Port.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Templates can be used in any biome. It is basically just the ground... the topography... with city lot sized flat spots where building lots can be placed. Rocks, trees, water, snow, sand, swamp grass can all be incorporated into the scene depending on the biome that the scene is meant for.
    Also, while we're free to make suggestions, Portalarium is the final arbiter of what will and will not be available. Attempting to dictate to them what the basic templates will or should be would see a bit of hubris to me.

Numa and Lord Blake Blackstone like this.
  5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

it is NOT hubris to have the COMUNITY (not Pax) look at a collection of templates and chose which one is most liked then submit that one to development.

Do NOT twist my words into something that they are not.

I understand the City Lot issue as it stands now - they wil just create enouch "Space" in each POT template to accommodate anything from a Holdfast to a Metropolis.

The oyu just overlay some lipstick on the wire frame to make the Biome (Landscape)

So anything with a tree, rock, grass, sand or water it irrelevant? Ok easy enouch then all I should look like is a multi layer ches game with houses placed in area you wan or think you want them to go. (very riduimentary but now oyu get the idea)

So now we are looking at somthin with say 5 layers - Water level - Beach / Swampn - Grassland / Desert - Woods / Hills / Cliffs - Mountain Tops These are "Empty' except for City sized Lot spaces.

The after that they can place grass, sand, snow

and then roads paths and streams?

Miracle Dragon and Lord Baldrith like this.
  6. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

My understanding is that roads, paths, streams would be part of the topography, which is why you can't have a road crossing a city lot sized building zone.
    A stream bed must be carved into the topology... Whether or not it has water in it. In a desert biome, a stream bed would be an arroyo, or dry gulch.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  7. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ok so here would be my "Layers"

Composite -
    [​IMG]

Water -
    [​IMG]

Beach / Swamp -
    [​IMG]

Grassland / Desert / Snow -
    [​IMG]

Woods / Hills
    [​IMG]

Hilltops -
    [​IMG]

Now after this they can place the Graphics - ???

8. Kitty2

Kitty2 Avatar

Weins,

I'm only submitting my template idea in this forum for idea-sharing and discussion. I've never seen anywhere that there will be only ONE template chosen per PoT size - so no, if my template were to be accepted, I would not imagine then that ALL Hamlets would need to work in the same fashion. I wanted my particular Hamlet to have a more condensed feel in the town square for the most part, but I'm sure other PoT owners of any size will want a more spread-out design, and I'm sure the devs will find a way to accommodate that as well.

I could have made a larger map and included many more City Lot spaces, and only placed a single Village-sized Lot in each, to spread things out. This was just my particular vision, and only one of many great ideas. From my understanding, as long as the criteria for template creation is followed, the devs will do their best to design your PoT as close to each owners' vision as they are able.

We are all still new to this, and I'd encourage us all to stay patient, explore PaxLair after R17 and help them to trouble-shoot (which will benefit us all), and then I'm sure this process will become much more clear and solidified.

Numa, Abydos and Beli like this.
  9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

We don't have enough detailed information to draw conclusions to that level of detail. I would suspect not, however.
    My belief is that the base topography would be something akin to this, though likely with a higher resolution:
    [​IMG]
    In a dessert biome they would dress it out in sand and cactus... Perhaps filling the depression on the right center with water to make an oasis.
    Raise the water level a bit, and you could have a coastal bay with cliffs of white chalk and a river emptying into the bay from the left center.
    Raise the water level a bit more, and you could have a coastal town with sandy beaches and pine forests.

The roads and other things would be carved into this topograhpy and immtable from use to use, as would the city sized flattened building areas.

10. Kitty2

Kitty2 Avatar

This discussion gave me some good thoughts, plus a helpful PM to offer a correction on my Row Lot placements (thank you again, Brent!) I went ahead and re-drew my template design, and I have added a number of extra City Lot-spaces, in case this template IS used in-game, and others want to utilize or borrow from it. The changes will allow others to allocate their own designs with a lot more flexibility. Also, this modification will also accommodate my own Hamlet if ever I wish to upgrade it to a Village.

[​IMG]

Hazard, Lord Andernut, Numa and 10 others like this.
  11. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

[​IMG]

This is a second pass with a topology editor

Still a rough draft, as ramps and roads have not been placed, nor lot templates.

12. Archibald Leatherneck

Archibald Leatherneck Avatar

I don't mind an inland town in the least. I would like surrounding hexes to match my biome which is more important to me than whether or not my POT is inland or coastal. While I am not concerned with having a coastal POT, I would like a POT with a river though I don't need water lots.

13. Deloria

Deloria Avatar

14. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

15. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

[​IMG][​IMG]

Desert pit terrain map

Themo Lock likes this.
  16. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

[​IMG]Render of the snow variant map from the height map from above post

Themo Lock and Jack Knyfe like this.
  17. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Is it possible that people want a coastal PoT because they have a galleon? Perhaps with a view toward a possible future where the galleons will actually be usable for transportation?

I have two galleons right now. Not even sure how to place them because I am new here and pretty much a nooblet...lol.

My question is this - can you place a galleon inland if your town has a river running through it?

If the PoT is inland and has a lake perhaps, but no river to connect it to the coast then how did the galleon get there? And if your galleon is landlocked, how would you ever be able to use it if the stretch goal is met? If my logic isn't faulty, then I can see why so many would want a coastal PoT. Possibly planning for the future of water transportation?

As I consider purchasing a PoT, with a view toward using a galleon for more than another type of housing, if I can't place a galleon on an inland river then I would have to look toward a coastal PoT.

If anyone knows more about galleon placement and how the design of a town might affect it, please PM me :) I don't want to pull this thread off topic.

With regard to all the PoT maps in one place on this thread, thanks to Lord Blackstone for taking the time to do this. If I do buy a PoT, I'll be sure to post my design here.

Fionwyn Wyldemane

Beli and Themo Lock like this.
  18. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Last example of these in this thread. I may create another thread to throw examples in...

The scale is 1 km x 1 km and includes the height map, and two terrain covering examples.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Themo Lock and Miracle Dragon like this.
  19. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Stryker;

What software are you using?

Weins201 likes this.
  20. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Those are generated out of L3DT Pro.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.