Player unique crafting recipes

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Ibim, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ibim

Ibim Avatar

This is something I would like to see happening.

Regards from Patrik

2. BellosTheMighty

BellosTheMighty Avatar

Please elaborate. What exactly is a "player unique crafting recipe"?

3. Ac_

Ac_ Avatar

I can think of a few ideas:
    A craftsman knows their trade. A blacksmith knows the tools they need to perform that trade, and are in the unique opportunity to make better ones for specialized tasks, granting better results, easier, in shorter time.
    He does not know lock picks.
    A high-level in lock picking <i>and</i> blacksmithing should grant recipes that produce tools with bonuses. The same goes for the difference between making armor, and having to wear that armor. After a while, you really feel the weak-spots. Trust me: the bruises teach you how you'd make it better! LOL!

As far as magical item crafting goes, there is a no-brainer.

If nothing else, the ability to put your character's name on a blueprint, after being the first to make something, becomes serious street-cred in an MMO!
    A blade is not a pommel, is not grip, and is not a cross-piece.
    The more you break down a sword by it?s parts, the more unique every piece becomes, the better (or worse) a sword becomes, for the sum of it?s parts.

4. lsommerer

lsommerer Avatar

Ac, I really like the idea of having other skills influence your crafting ability. Well, actually, I generally like most ideas that allow for crafters to be differentiated from each other. Crafters making meaningful choices about what they make will make for a better player to player economy.

I'm not sure how I feel about the "sum of its parts" idea. I'm not saying it's bad. I'm just not sold on the fact that it's more interesting to make parts and then make a sword than it is to make a sword. Do you see people becoming really good at making pommels? Would smiths specialize in that way? Does it extend to other areas of crafting (do bakers make a cake and frosting and combine them)? Maybe they do. I'm just hoping we get a more unified approach to crafting than UO had, so that it is easier to extend than UO's was, so that it actually gets more love after the game is released than UO's did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.