Players need excessive experience? Or is the game lacking stepped Staged growth goals?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NEILMHK, May 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NEILMHK

NEILMHK Avatar

The following points we should be agreed:

1.Everyone lacks experience, but the endless pursuit experience is not fun;
    2.There is no predictable expectation for the achievement of the goal, which is lethal;
    3. The game experience should be continuously exciting.

Therefore, how popular this time the 10X and 2X experiences are among players is easy to understand. I think that mastering the player's mentality will keep the game popular.

For the above 3 points, my opinion is:
    1.Everyone is going crazy, and even recently a team claimed to stand in the same place for 6-8 hours a day, repeating the same hands like a robot, in order to accumulate a little more experience. Is that healthy? Not healthy at all, even ill. Officials may attribute it to a small number of players, but if there is, there must be a reason.

Past experience can no longer meet the needs of players. Everyone knows that this is a geometric level of growth. Therefore, they can only collect experience every day or simply give up. This mentality is very normal, but it is not healthy for the game . Serious lack of experience is equivalent to closing the game.

2. Career needs reachable prospects, as does SOTA. Skill level 200 is the goal of most players. Is that possible? It is theoretically feasible, but practically impossible, even if the meaning of creating a game is simply reduced to simply consuming life, it is also difficult. The difficulty is because the player's expectations are different from the official's expectations, but the official does not take the player's expectations as a reason for responsibility. To put it simply, there is a tiered goal, so that players can know how the official through the first chapter, second chapter, and third chapter gradually let the skills grow step by step.

For example, if the goal of Chapter 1 is set so that everyone can reach 140 in a relatively relaxed environment, or the main skill reaches 140, the second chapter is 180, and the third chapter is 200. Players who are above this need pay more pain than normal The efforts are understandable. However, no one knows the official set goals, or the official set goals are set too low, simply can not meet the difficulties faced in the game. It became very painful for the official and the player. The official had to preset a super difficulty, BUFF monster, NERF player, and let the game continue. Is that healthy? impossible. If the player ’s growth desire is adolescent hormones, is there a way to turn it off?

In fact, before everyone reaches 200, it is impossible for the official to know how to set up the game. Only using Panadol to treat cancer, can not stop the pain and cure the disease. Therefore, to build a complete growth ladder and let everyone reach the top is the way to continue the game.

When the culmination is reached, it will not end there, but the game will actually start.

3. The feeling of the game is now very simple. Many interesting things are affected by experience and actual combat capabilities. We ca n’t enjoy farming, fishing, and treasure hunting. Everyone wants to get the most experience in the shortest time. Everest, no one will pay attention to other details.

In the past, we were very concerned about when first chapter will be launched. Everyone is looking forward to SOTA as a continuation of the dream. Even if each game designer wants to be unique, this expectation is no longer seen in Chapter 2. The person leaving may not hate, just tired of the process that has been repeated, is it not the same as going to work or off work? How to continue happiness in chapters 2 and 3, and to continue those happiness (not pain) depends on how the official breaks through thinking, breaks the restrictions of the game, and understands the player's needs in three aspects. Enjoy the litthe things is not enough.

I always think that SOTA has great potential and is very attractive. Under the current management, the official can have better development.

2. Gustach

Gustach Avatar

I think that the problem is that we, players, usually forget that this game is a 5 episode length game.
    I also think that the long time elapsed between episodes makes easier to forget that.

And if you add that the dev team is small, the times get even longer.

Answering you: 1) No. 2) Yes.

Sean Silverfoot and Bedawyn like this.
  3. NEILMHK

NEILMHK Avatar

If SOTA takes 3 years from Chapter 1 to Chapter 2, then Chapter 5 may take 15 years or 20 years, which seems to be very continuity. In fact, the player has run out, which is an unrealistic solution.

Many UO players have reached the level of 720 for 20 years, the number of players may be much more than the current SOTA. In addition, many other games have proved one thing. Full level is the beginning of enjoying the game. The design of SOTA is understandable, but it is obviously one of the reasons why it cannot be popular.

I don’t think that although all the skills can easily reach 200, at least, specialized skills should be fine. And it must be reiterated that if the player's skill is less than 200, the designer simply does not know how to properly balance the entire system, just the endless NERF hell.

It is also very strange to match the difficulty of mining ores with the difficulty of monsters. Monsters do not need to eat ores. Those ores do not have supernatural magic. They just make mining painful for everyone. Players will only spend time calculating what is profitable, not simply enjoying the happiness brought by game design. That is not COOL.

Finally, the so-called breaking of thinking, for example, is that the originally set goal is 200. Why should n’t it be 240 when we reach Chapter 5?

ShurTugal likes this.
  4. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

I need to make a few comments here.

SotA is not like UO. In that game there was a skill cap (720). You could reach it fairly easily, the only variation possible was juggling skills to keep below the cap.

SotA has no cap. It is incorrect to say that he cap is 200, there is no cap. You can keep going as long as you like. However as you may have noticed, the gap between levels increases exponentially as you go up. Getting to 40 - dead easy. To 80 - no worries. To 100 - bit of a slog. over 100 - getting real hard. To my (limited) knowledge, a few players have got some skills to 160 -170, and their adventure level is in the 130's. And they are the elite. The reason 200 is mentioned is that it is considered practically impossible to go past it - the XP requirement is just impossible.

I have been here since release 1, and have been working on my character since permanence. I am at adventure level 120, and have a couple of skills at or around 150. Long way to go, but I am enjoying the journey. My advice - pick areas or zones that you can survive in, and gradually work on it until you can survive in the next area. There is always a new challenge. There is absolutely no reason to think we have to race to level 200.

Just enjoy the journey!

5. carl321

carl321 Avatar

The number of people is the best proof. Experience, experience, now players only have experience in their eyes, and they have simply forgotten the beautiful concept originally designed, but in the experience hell, who cares about things other than experience? The player's idea is too clear. Who would think of something outside the center of the flying target, I agree that it is a waste of the game.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

200 is the actual limit.

7. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Which has already been said to be a soft limit, that would be pushed further if need be, it was simply so unrealistic to reach that they left it there and called it a "cap".

The main issue with this game is that it is always exp or loot. In games, you grind till max level, and then you grind for loot, and there are goals, end points to reach. In shroud, with no limit to exp, and no actual decent loot, The only thing to grind for is exp, which never actually has an actual goal except those you fix for yourself, and then there is nothing else. You can just grind until everything is a breeze, but once you reach that point, what do you do? There is no loot, there is no PVP, there is no actual "Fun" endgame, so it is just an endless cycle of becoming stronger for no other reason than to be a tiny bit stronger each time.

I love the classless system, but the current design has so many flaws that it makes it lose the fun factor after a while. There are some zones that are fun to adventure in, but are so worthless both in experience and loot, that there is no actual reward to go there, and you've just lost a big chunk of fun from your zone, and unfortunately, it is like this for most zones, meanwhile, the others are worth it for the experience, but my god are they lame and boring.

8. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

200 is currently a hard coded limit I belive but I also believe no one has enough total XP to get a single skill that high (16.7 billion XP for a rank 1 skill). If the code is well designed upping the limit would be trivial but a bit academic.

9. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

In my opinion the reason most folks end up leaving is due to the fact they power grind to get high level and then get bored cause they have fought it all. I know this as i have a few guild mates that left. When i talk to NEW players i tell them to not be in a hurry and to have fun. If one constantly grinds grinds grinds to reach high end goals it makes things not fun anymore. I been playing for 4 yrs and still have not broke Adv100. I have many gm skills but i am not busting my butt or breaking necks to get there. The fun goes out of it all when things start to be mundane. I think that is the main thing about the game. Power players and those that feel they need to be the elite.

10. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

It's a self-inflicted problem IMO. Been playing since R1 and since persistence, I still have not reached ADV 100, and it's not that I don't have thousands of hours in the game, I just feel no need to grind all the time. I do it when it suits me.

11. Dysis

Dysis Avatar

1.Everyone lacks experience, but the endless pursuit experience is not fun;
    This should be an eye opener for you, if you dont like hunting exp, you should NOT be playing an mmo.

2.There is no predictable expectation for the achievement of the goal, which is lethal;
    This one is confusing, as I can not understand how you have a predictable expectation.

3. The game experience should be continuously exciting.
    pls refer to answer of question #1.(An mmo is a life, that you want to live, that isnt actually real. It will be as exciting as you make it)

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    Sean Silverfoot and Witcheypoo like this.
  12. NEILMHK

NEILMHK Avatar

If players can only continue to find ways to find game loopholes to effectively increase experience, this game's design direction is definitely a very big problem. Therefore, it is normal for designers to improve the game experience in stages, and it is possible to attract new players to participate, otherwise the game is only encouraging old players to find ways to find loopholes.

On the other hand, the official has always wanted to promote PVP, but in the case of such a large difference in skill value, it is impossible to become popular. Because it is impossible for everyone to have the attraction of fighting at different starting points, this does not include the gap in equipment. Good equipment requires more than one million iggs. In the case of inexperience, you can only do equipment that is inferior or even better than others. Therefore, only setting a target skill value may lead to PVP, otherwise the stronger the stronger, then how can it be played?

It can be said that all the beautiful designs of this game are trapped by a cell called experience. Let's completely liberate it.

13. NEILMHK

NEILMHK Avatar

As a unique MMORPG, SOTA has the freedom to be close to real life, and everyone can live their own way. You can play a whole day of music outside the door of BE, you can enjoy it in the fishing world, you can design a town with ideal house layout, of course, you can also be an excellent warrior to protect the world, I think there is no conflict. But the only difference between the game and the real world is that this game needs to grow, especially the number of players.

Designers spend so much energy designing combat skills, and of course some people hope they can reach the highest . Designer at least give them a goal and tell them how to reach the apex, instead of giving up with astronomical experience that they can’t achieve . This is a hell of experience reincarnation, which has left too many people away. Even if the players staying in SOTA still have a lot of pursuit of higher experience, are they wrong?

No, MMORPG is for people to get what they need, right? Will it be reasonable to expect only 60 for the exam and then force everyone to only take 80 ?

14. carl321

carl321 Avatar

Officials are currently letting players use special methods to gain a lot of experience. This may not be a loophole, but a badly bad design.

I just want to know, has the official actually calculated that it takes a few times to mine 1 skill to reach 200? (The reappearance time of the ore is now super long) Can a person start from a kindergarten and have a chance to succeed until college graduation? Some people will say that the official goal is to keep you out of reach. Give up this idea! Well, so many players give up the game directly.

We have spent 4 years to verify that this design does not have any benefit to increase players, can only say that the official must change the direction.

15. Loki the Cat

Loki the Cat Avatar

Wow this post gives a much different picture than I got from in game peeps, they have all been telling me to turn off skills at 100 as the cap was 120 but the extra 20 points made no difference at all and cost so much it could never be reached..
    Guess it's time to rethink my long term strategy lol.

16. Loki the Cat

Loki the Cat Avatar

To respond to OP,
    The new xp from resource gathering has done alot to make xp manageable for me.
    Previously I'd have to spend half my time with almost everything turned off and spent a ton buying resources to process for a a whopping 50xp a pop but now an hour or two in a decent mine and I'm good to go for days.

17. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Wow, I don't know who told you the cap was 120, but that person really knocked his head multiple times before getting up and knocking it again a bunch!

Skills have no actual limit, there is a "cap" of 200, but 1st off that is unimaginable to reach right now (might be a bit faster now, but a while back, a 1x skill would take 30 something years to train to 200!). As for your experience, it gets better as you become stronger. I will be honest with you, for combat skills, the first goal is lvl 80, which unlocks the 5th glyph. Past that, you are gonna get extra power, sure, but it is unnecessary in the early stages of the game. Get all the skills you want to use at 80 (and 10 skills of the same magic tree if you plan on being a mage, ex. I am a water mage so I made sure that I had 80 in 10 different skills, innate or active, because Attunement is a huge part of you damage with magic, and attunement is the average of your 10 highest skills in the tree). Once you got all your skills to 80, then you can start pushing some to 100, then 120, and so on.

For Crafting skills, I'm not the best to give tips and tricks, but most Masterwork and Enchant skills require lvl 100 to even become worth it (to get the best enchants or masterworks). I would say aim for 100 in the masterworks and enchants, and let the rest trail if you would prefer!

18. Loki the Cat

Loki the Cat Avatar

All my crafting skills are at 100 so far with the skills under them between 80-90 and my processing skills are near grandmaster crafting was the easy one for me.

Adventurer is not going as well at all for a few reasons
    1) being my play style just doesn't lend its self to this system at all as a pure archer seems to be a non starter for going past 4 or 5 skulls.
    2) no matter how many times I read the ingame book I can't make heads or tails of this deck or combo system no matter what I do on the combo screen it won't let me make any and the few that are there won't move to the attack bar as well as not being able to find a way to switch "deck" without using the menu.
    3) I just can't deal with how insanely long buffs take and how short they last as a buff will expire before you can even finish casting the others.
    4) doing all this while having to control the camera, movement, and attack separately and all at the same time, while lacking a third hand would have been tough for me even before all the wrist and hand damage. Which is just my bad luck nothing more but makes the other problems a bit more of a problem in this case.

So guess we are the reverse on the skill thing as my biggest crafting problem is I can't survive the only area I know of to get emeralds for my elven furniture =)

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  19. Loki the Cat

Loki the Cat Avatar

I actually find the crafting to be a bit to easy compared to UO, in UO skills took alot of effort to gain and many like glassmaking required you master other skills like smelting and mining first which helped out the player vendors greatly as you didn't have everyone selling the same basic thing and could build a clientele by means of product instead of just placement or selling at a loss.
    To this day I still miss my master of poison and sharp pointy things to put it on as well as fishing up t-maps and fighting sea serpents.

BTW do they have body paint berries in this game? I'd murder me a whole village of savages for few =)

Elrond likes this.
  20. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

For decks and combat, start here. This Guide, although needs a few adjustments, it is a great starting place to make a deck that will fit YOUR playstyle!

As for Archers, Pure archers are VERY strong, but require a certain style to actually be one of the best classes out there. If you want, you can hit me up ingame (same name) and I can give you a few pointers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.