Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Players need risk

Discussion in 'Release 23 Feedback' started by Asylum_Child, Nov 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asylum_Child

Asylum_Child Avatar

I noticed markee dragon playing on a dungeon dive and there is absolutely no consequences for dying. This will probably ruin the game. People love high risk games, that is why games like demon souls and dark souls are so popular, because of sheer difficulty. I heard about you guys putting in a switch for pvp mode on and off. That's ok and creative I see that you guys are trying to make this game appeal to as many people as possible but keep in mind what made ultima great was that literally anything could happen . You could get ganked ur friends could accidently heal ur enemies , you could get turned on by ur friends and start to help enemies, all within a few seconds anything was possible . And a mass majority of ur backers are previous ultima players and are expecting thus game to at least in some way be reminiscent to ultima. You should make an area like a wilderness where pvp mode is active all the time and players dont have to go there. You could warn them when they get close that they are about to enter a wilderness area and they could be attacked by anyone. You could even encourage them to bring friends to avoid dying and this would make people bring their friends to the game . Players bounties were awesome as well I would love to see this high risk type of situation in this game somehow . My family and I still play uo and have played since it launched . I want to be able to draw them to this game. PleSe help me do so! Ty Richard garriot for bringing back britannia

2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

:( Welcome to Shroud... thanks for backing the game...

3. Woftam

Woftam Avatar

Hi Asylum_Child, Welcome to Shroud!

There are areas like the ones you've requested already in game and I'm sure more will be coming in time. Hop in and take a look around you might be pleasantly surprised :)

Numa and Mata like this.
  4. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome Asylum_Child!

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  5. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Welcome to the game Asylum_Child. Glad you are a long time UO fan. The community here has a bunch who are former Ultima players and Ultima Online players, and this game is attempting to reach out to both types of player, in addition to new people of course. I'm looking forward to your thoughts in the forums.

Also we currently do have some areas already in place like Woftam mentions. Check out some of the PVP oriented towns as well, they are always looking for more players interested in the high risk aspect of multiplayer games.

6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Welcome, and please read the instructions, rules, Updates etc there are already places just like you asked for and as stated more to come.

Enjoy.

Miracle Dragon and John Markus like this.
  7. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

Welcome!

8. Coolwaters

Coolwaters Avatar

I agree with the OP in principle. I think there are a good number of players here already who appreciate what you're describing. That's been a fairly pleasant surprise to me (I'm new as well), coming from a game like Shadowbane.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  9. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Welcome to SOTA. I hope to see you in the Shardfalls soon ;-)

10. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@Asylum_Child

Greetings and welcome!!!

Start by reading this from the developers:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/pvp-death-current-thinking-megapost.8247/
    Which explains the thinking and design process about most of these things.

Now to the details and the fine print.

Gear damage
    time out (ghost mode)
    xp/skill decay debt
    Ransom of random items
    All loot you have gained in the scene. (planned, not in yet)

(6. you get a random trophy from the body of the slain, like a skull or a hand etc, so that you can decorate your home with pieces of slain enemies...)

If you flag for PvP then you will have a similar world to this, anytime-everywhere, albeit if you are in a Party you don't get the heal your enemies effect and your ex-friends needs to leave your party before killing you.

Of the kickstarter backers there was about 30% ultima series (single player) 30 % ultima online only 20 % both 20% mix of others including a bunch of Tabula Rasa folks and some from other RPGs who'd never played ultima.
    Now for the target audience at launch then old players who remember these titles will be <50%.

If you flag for PvP then all areas are PvP vs others who has also flagged.
    Beyond that there are the Shardfalls where anyone who enters get a warning and if they proceed they are automatically flagged, albeit Shardfalls are a small %age of the map.

Add to that you have a new funtion from R23 where if someone wants to interfere in a PvP fight, they get flagged PvP as well. (Blue healers etc).
    So you can now have the old bait-n-switch from EVE as well.

Planned. But not the exact ones from UO.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    4EverLost and Mata like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.