Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

players' runic reference

Discussion in 'Quests, Conversations, & NPC's' started by Alley Oop, Sep 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@Sannio, is there a reference in game, or a link in game to the web, explaining to new players that sota runic is not normal runic and giving a translation guide? it's not in the player instructions on the web or in "- new player handbook -" in game, and was a blocker in boreus colossus.

[​IMG]

Rinaldi and Jaesun like this.
  2. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

@Alley Oop , what should be the case is that no one is blocked who can't read SotA's runic. It's based in English and doesn't localize/auto-translate (except for in books, but even then the character swaps are limited). Knowledge of English shouldn't be required for any progression in the game. I wasn't the one who made the puzzles in Boreas Colossus, so I have to ask before I look into it... is it the case that the players got caught up on translating it and they could have progressed, or was there information in the Runic that was required for progression?

3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Knowledge of Runic is semi-required, depending upon if you notice the tooltip or not.

In the pic below from Rinaldi's walk through you can see that one gets the translation if one hovers the mouse pointer on the text - that tooltip is translated if you run in some other language.

However like in the case above - most players don't know about the tooltip translation being a thing, so they don't hover (unless lucky coincidence) and thus try to translate using google - where they assume the runic is real earth history futhark or something and are thus blocked.

But that is just one example - there are many examples of similar situations.
    The old player suggestion was to have an in-game-book with the english-runic letters cipher. Which can then be strewn all over the lands and in strategic dialog given to the player - for instance the guy starting the quest arc next to the devotional.
    (The old reason to reject this was due to translations, but the counter argument is that yes that complicates things for the player but at least it gives them a fighting chance. While not providing such books doesn't give the players a fighting chance.)

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...asure-hunts-spoilers.61625/page-2#post-853182
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Sannio

Thanks for all the extra info!
    The runic translation book is a good idea, but it wasn't without its problems. I remember some of office conversations about runic translation books from way-back-when. It seemed a big problem was that our books could be either runic or non-runic, but not a mix. Also, we couldn't include images as a workaround. I did a search for the old issue and it's still there, #7634.)

These days, we have the ability to add images to books, but I not familiar enough with it and can't be sure how long it would take to make one. I'll look into it, but no promises.

Rinaldi and Spoon like this.
  5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

a workaround could be a single large image (or a few) like the virtue and anti-virtue quest rewards.

edit: or an old-style map scroll with the image: portable.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Thank you

If so then I would suggest a temporary workaround. Add the Runic table into the player instructions and a chapter just describing that you can usually hover above runic to get a translation?
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/playerinstructions
    Or have it as its own menu item next to the titles and map and such on the arch menu, which simply launches the image in a window, sorta kinda like the map.
    I mean it would even suffice if you cut out the cipher from the SotA_Runic_Text_Quick_Reference_Card_PDF.pdf and put that on a page.

As long as it is available from the game it is better than what we have now.

But of course the in game book solution would be the best thing since that would add flavor etc.

7. Sannio

I like this idea! I added the suggestion into the original issue notes.

Rinaldi, Jaesun and Spoon like this.
  8. Sannio

@Spoon , a Runic chart will be in the next update of the Player Instructions. Thanks for the suggestion!

Jaesun and Spoon like this.
  9. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Great! That will be a big help going forward.
    Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.