PLEASE ACCEPT BITCOIN AS A PAYMENT OPTION!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by shep, Aug 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jhorus

Jhorus Avatar

Except (as noted in the other thread and in the third post of this thread) if they use a payment processor (like coinbase or bitpay), it doesn't matter if a bitcoin is worth $.01 or $1,000,000, the payment processor takes the bitcoins and converts them into USD that Portalarium gets straight into their bank account(s). The risk is taken by the payment processor and not Portalarium. So if you buy a package that costs $100, Portalarium will get that $100 regardless of the value of bitcoin at the time of the purchase. So bitcoin boom or bitcoin crash, Portalarium gets exactly the value of the product that they sold (just like if someone payed with Paypal or a credit card).

bmoconno and Jatvardur like this.
  2. adaamhimself

adaamhimself Avatar

Again, what is stopping people from exchanging their bitcoins and then buying pledges? This seems like a ridiculous solution to a situation where the onus is on the buyer.

What's stopping bmoconno from doing this?

Gaelis and High Baron O`Sullivan like this.
  3. Satyr Hatter

Satyr Hatter Avatar

Business 101 man, why make it harder for your customers to do business with you? If there is an easy open revenue source like this, it's foolhardy to tell potential customers to go through MORE trouble to do business with you.

With that line of logic, why do you accept certain credit cards? Interchange would be lower on VISA (example, not always the case), make everyone pay with VISA, they can always get a visa credit card or switch to a bank with a visa branded debit card. Reason? Because it would make your customers do more work, people wouldn't give you as much business because they have to go through trouble to process a transaction. Why do fast food restaurants accept credit cards? Swiping a credit card costs them money, I'd be cheaper to force you to pay with cash. Reason? It makes it easy and convenient to do business with them.

As I have outlined many times, it's easy to set up, similar risk profile to a credit card (I'd argue less), customers will happily pay the transaction fee, and I'd estimate 200-400k in additional revenue.

All upside, no downside. It's a no brainer.

bmoconno likes this.
  4. adaamhimself

adaamhimself Avatar

I'm questioning the motivations of the bitcoiners, not Portalarium.

I'm not questioning Portalarium's motivations.

Gaelis likes this.
  5. Satyr Hatter

Satyr Hatter Avatar

Would you question the motivations of someone paying in euros or with credit cards? Fundamentally the same thing. Same risk profile, same principle.

Some people in the thread may be posturing to get a piece of the processing action, I have no dog in that fight. If portalarium does this they'd need to pick the best processor. However, accepting bitcoin is no different than accepting euros and converting it to dollars through a processor.

6. adaamhimself

adaamhimself Avatar

Again, I'm not interested in outcomes. I'm curious as to why these people need Portalarium to use a payment processor rather than converting it to dollars by themselves.

I didn't ask about Euros or credit. I'm asking about bitcoins.

Gaelis likes this.
  7. BMG

BMG Avatar

Please increase font size...too small to read.

shep311 likes this.
  8. Satyr Hatter

Satyr Hatter Avatar

Again, back to good business sense. If a market is there, why don't you capture it, who cares about the customers motivation if he is there to buy your product.

9. adaamhimself

adaamhimself Avatar

If you can't answer my question it would be better if you just said as much.

Gaelis likes this.
  10. Satyr Hatter

Satyr Hatter Avatar

I'll be honest man, I feel like you are trolling or being contrarian in order to avoid admitting that your argument is not making sense. I've outlined the reasons why to do this in a lot of detail above, and the only counter argument I have gotten in reply is "Why don't we force potential customers to go through more trouble and not do business with us". If you can't ascertain the benefits of opening a new market, increasing revenue, increasing profitability, budget, player count, and game scope with no risk to Portalarium then that's simply on you, the argument is highly detailed and addresses any concerns that were brought up in great detail. At this point our back and forth is not brining anything of value to the thread and topic so I am going to stop until the topic and thread progresses.

bmoconno likes this.
  11. adaamhimself

adaamhimself Avatar

You're answering a question that was never asked, Scotch. If there is trolling here, it is coming from your corner.

Gaelis likes this.
  12. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Bitcoin is a backwater in the payments world. Why would SOTA lift a finger to enable payments via Bitcoin, when the few speculators who own bitcoins can simply pay in USD? Why even introduce Bitcoin into the equation? If you have to use that freak currency, use it with the merchants who accept it, if you must. Don't expect all merchants to use Bitcoin just because you happen to dabble in it.

Developers have enough to do here, without worrying about the convenience of, and setting up a payments system for, a tiny number of people who want to pay in Bitcoin, or whole hogs, or beads, or whatever.

Do yourself a favor, sell your Bitcoin and get on with your life.

Gaelis, Death-Knell and adaamhimself like this.
  13. adaamhimself

adaamhimself Avatar

I would question the word of anyone who wants something but is unwilling to actually make an effort to purchase it.

Plus, 5-10% revenue increase? Where is this info coming from? I don't know about you people, but I don't make business decisions based on numbers plucked from my imagination.

Gaelis, Budner and Death-Knell like this.
  14. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Agree adaamhimself.

Idea that accepting bitcoin would generate 200-400k of additional revenue is insane. If I had to guess, I guess something close to zero additional revenue. Not to mention some cost in time and dollars in setting up bitcoin acceptance.

Gaelis likes this.
  15. Satyr Hatter

Satyr Hatter Avatar

You're wrong guys, I work in this industry, and while revenue may be closer to 200k than 400k it's there. Plenty of case studies with other retailers.

The work required would be extremely minimal, as in signing an agreement with an exchange processor and putting up an option on the website, wouldn't even take a day to do the work and less than a week to have set up.

Jatvardur likes this.
  16. adaamhimself

adaamhimself Avatar

So we're just supposed to trust the numbers you made up?

SotA fans are an extremely small and niche market. Comparisons to retailers cannot be made convincingly.

This whole thread reeks of proselytizing and bitcoin evangelism. Faith isn't something business deals should be made on.

Caliya and Gaelis like this.
  17. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Scotch, walk us through the specifics of how it would generate 200-400k of incremental revenue. Because the only way that's possible, is if certain people will ONLY pay with Bitcoin. That MANY people will say, "I refuse to pay SOTA in USD, and I will only pay in Bitcoin. If SOTA doesn't accept Bitcoin, I will not pay to play this game." I think that number has to be VERY small. Could be ZERO.

Gaelis and adaamhimself like this.
  18. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

shep311 and Jatvardur like this.
  19. Satyr Hatter

Satyr Hatter Avatar

Fair enough, I'll make a detailed analysis, but I will do it in the dev forums under a new topic so we can keep it objective and so we can attract proper attention to the topic.

Jatvardur and RDouglas like this.
  20. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

bmoconno and shep311 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.