PLEASE ACCEPT BITCOIN AS A PAYMENT OPTION!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by shep, Aug 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

You should see the list of stuff I've purchased with dollars. It's enormous. And without the dramatic fluctuations in value.

2. shep

shep Avatar

It's pretty funny. All the people that don't understand the technology. Do you naysayers even internet? You have the world at your fingertips, yet refuse to look into what Bitcoin even is.
    It's not "magic internet money". It's freedom. Freedom from all the banks and institutions that hold down a real and true economy. In our lifetime you will see Bitcoin outlast the US fiat system. That being said...

Lets get back to the technology.... What is it? It's an anti corruption system. As a gamer, who played Ultima Online for 12 years. I also made money playing the game. I would build characters for people and sell in game gold and items.
    Call it what you may, it helped the game on so many levels. Only thing that sucked... Was the fact that people could do all of that without actually doing anything. Look what SearchUO did. It revolutionized the game. It made trading, selling, and buying, easy and helped move the economy of the game. What they got wrong was not fixing the duping. They let it happen. How could you not stop gold or item duping? This ruined the game. Hands down.

Now imagine a system, where all the actions in game are put through a blockchain type technology in that any action in the game is put in a " cloud " using that loosely... Where the actions are checked and re-checked in this "cloud" to make sure
    the actions are per game requirements and no cheating is even capable. Sounds kinda weird. Well that is the technology. You have no room for fraud. That alone should be the single most important factor for any game developer.

As the technology is implemented and used more... More companies will find ways to use the technology. I would love to play a game where it's impossible to cheat at.
    It would be REVOLUTIONARY!

3. shep

shep Avatar

And when the time is right, you won't need to Neo.

Why would i sell Bitcoin for a failing fiat system? I think it's important to note that one Bitcoin is worth, still... 500 times more then funny money.

OH, by the way, Paypal just integrated Bitcoin into it's payment system.
    No charge backs must be something important or something.

Overstock.com
    Ebay
    Newegg
    Tiger Direct
    Dish Network
    Wordpress
    Dell
    Square
    Wikipedia
    Intuit
    Google
    Expedia

I mean, you see the trend? Technology based companies are joining because Bitcoin itself is technology.
    Something fiat can't, or will ever be able to offer.

4. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I love that you call it an "anti-corruption system". Even hear of Mt. Gox? $409 million worth of Bitcoin DISAPPEARED.

You are confusing currency valuation with inflation. The two are related, of course, but they are not the same thing.

You are confusing economic theory with reality. What I buy, in the U.S., I do own. See: 300 years of jurisprudence and ...... ummm .... reality.

LOL before you lecture, doomsday prepperman, read up.

Caliya and adaamhimself like this.
  5. shep

shep Avatar

So what if they do choose to accept Bitcoin as a payment option? Why would that matter to you, or how you choose to pay?

6. adaamhimself

adaamhimself Avatar

Using bitpay isn't accepting bitcoin, it's accepting cash. I've already stated that if Portalarium wants to take money from bitcoiners they should go right ahead.

Accepting actual bitcoins, however, would be foolish.

bmoconno likes this.
  7. shep

shep Avatar

Well lets make ourselves clear then. I don't care how you pay. Why do you care how I hope to have the opportunity to pay with.

8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

So I don't care either way if SotA uses bitcoin or not. It doesn't matter. Money is money big deal. No currency will every buy you freedom though.

Some of the most free people I met lived in huts in central mexico. They fished, the had animals, the had family, and a community soccer ball. Doesn't get much better than that. The funny thing is, bitcoin would do them no good at all. Why have it, they already had real stuff like food, clothing, shelter, family, and community. Bitcoin just wouldn't fit in there. I also visited them right before a catagory 3 hurricane hit them. Funny thing is they didn't have much to begin with so all they had to do was come back and rebuild their huts and all was fine. They had little to no corruption. There was really no business at all to be corrupt with, and they surely didn't care about banks. LoL

EDIT: Last I heard there was no inflation or deflation on a chicken, and a few fish. You just fish again the next day, and chickens keep laying eggs. There's a lot of water in the world. Seems like money is a complicated system for a complicated society.

Caliya and adaamhimself like this.
  9. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

I am for BritCoin myself. (Lord British Coin)

10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

That being said, I think bitcoin is a really well thought out system. It is worth studying, to see how it actually works. However, so is the Klingon language worth studying, but it has no real value as a spoken language. Who knows what will happen with bitcoin.

If bitcoin becomes the world's currency then I'll switch then. If some people get rich because they were believers, I don't care, I don't feel like I missed out. People got rich in the dot.com era, and some people lost a lot. Money is just one of those things that comes and goes.

Budner and shep311 like this.
  11. shep

shep Avatar

Currently Bitcoin is being compared to the "Interwebs" when it first hit the mainstream between 1993-1995ish time frame. No one really knew what they had on their hands. Look at it now. I remember when there was a list of maybe 100,000 websites in existence. Care to take a guess how many there are now?

Bitcoin is an evolving technology. People are just now learning of it's true potential. Which could change everything.

12. adaamhimself

adaamhimself Avatar

Bitcoins true potential is to bubble and crash with significant losses of capital. It's unregulated and offers protection only to scam artists and criminals.

It's an experiment; not a viable alternative whatsoever.

Caliya and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

It may become more dangerous when it is regulated. ;)

14. shep

shep Avatar

He obviously needs to do his homework. Bitcoin don't care if you try to regulate it. You can't.

15. adaamhimself

adaamhimself Avatar

Depends on what you consider to be dangerous :p

16. shep

shep Avatar

http://letstalkbitcoin.com/e86-virtual-worlds-real-money/

Talk Bitcoin #86 - Virtual Worlds, Real Money
    • Adam sits down with Richard Garriott about money, games, cryptocurrency, the intersection between MMO developers and national governments, Valve's publish-as-a-protocol. This is the full length version of the interview and includes a discussion of LTBcoin. Credits Episode 86 of Let's Talk Bitcoin was produced by Adam B. Levine, edited by Denise Levine. Music was provided by Jared Rubens (@jaredarubens) and General Fuzz(www.generalfuzz.net/tunes.php) Questions or comments? Email adam@letstalkbitcoin.com - Have a good one.

17. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Why not? Surely all software get's patched and updated over the years. Sometimes it is progress, sometimes it isn't. This might sound funny, but it is possible.

Here's a perfectly reasonable scenario, one day the world has a global government. A united nations on steroids. So now all the nations have a single ruling council of some kind. Now this council could be for individual liberties. That is the best case scenario. Then they could adopt bitcoin as a currency and not mess with it. On the contrary, if the governing body is corrupt and evil, then when it adopts bitcoin it says "Well, you know, shucks it would sure be nice to be able to create permissions so that we can keep track and even blacklist certain people we have determined to be criminals from being allowed to buy certain things without our permission.

So what do they do? The modify bitcoin and create bitcoin 2.0, and old bitcoin users coins will be migrated (without their permission) over to version 2.0 because after a certain window of time it will be illegal to make transactions with the now defunct original bitcoin system. They will do this to "better protect" the people. however bitcoin 2.0 will not be an open system, it will be fully controlled and managed by Lexcorp (or whatever entity that this evil world government chooses to manage the currency).

So you see, bitcoin is only free and open as long as the world rulers allow it to be. That goes with the internet too.

Thing is we get use to using the internet to the point we depend on it then they regulate it and we become dependent upon them for all knowledge in exchange for our privacy. Same with this currency. We use it till we depend only on it, then it gets regulated, and unlike previous currencies this one will be able to be totally tracked there will be no exchange of coins or paper. "This is to protect us, because since all money is tracked nobody will be able to buy things from a street drug dealer without it being on record" so that's progress right?

18. TimeLord Smith

TimeLord Smith Avatar

Yeah the devil is in the details.

19. shep

shep Avatar

That's the fun part of open source. Details are free and open for anyone to see.
    Not so much with our own financial system.

20. Satyr Hatter

Satyr Hatter Avatar

Meh,

Both sides said their piece, it's a dead topic now imo, Portalarium will do whatever they think is best for their company.

bmoconno and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.