please add six million dollar stretch goal to abandon dual scale map

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by dweebothegeek, Aug 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dweebothegeek

dweebothegeek Avatar

Seriously consider getting rid of the dual scale map gentlemen. It is honestly going to ruin this game. If you have to have zones then do like everquest 1 did. Please honestly think about what your doing.

zerothis, Gatsu., Gadgets and 14 others like this.
  2. Logain

Logain Avatar

While I doubt that it's going to ruin the game, I already considered suggesting a similar strech goal as well. I wonder how much a realistic goal would be. Maybe Chris would even provide us with some figures?

Owens Casey likes this.
  3. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

Since I'm playing Baldurs Gate again at the moment (still one of the best and deepest RPGs of all times) and as a big fan of Fallout, Realms of Arkania, the old Ultima games, and the coming Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity), I don't really understand the "immersion"-argument against the dual scale map. I have more problems with games, where you can move everywhere, but the places are so close to another, that it gets ridiculous. Even in one of the largest games of this sort "Lord of the Rings Online" it's far from realistic, that you can ride from Bree to Hobbiton in 20Min.

Also in most games of the Single Scale Map sort, there's some kind of teleport system to reduce travel times. In most cases it leads to a system, where the game activities are centered around those portals (or ressurection stones, etc.) and a large part of the map is abandoned.

I only have one problem with the dual scale map of SotA: In traditional dual scale map titles, the time is going much faster while traveling on the overland map. In Baldurs Gate it takes days to reach another point, while in the areas, the time is flowing in real time. But since SotA is becoming a MMO, this isn't possible, since time must flow in the same pace for every player. And this is of course far from realistic, when traveling on the overland map. I wonder, if the developers find a solution for this or want us to just ignore it...

Quenton, Heradite, Aegis159 and 8 others like this.
  4. stile

stile Avatar

Please dont. I like the duel scale map and it was one of the features i bought into. Thank you

5. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

The overall architecture is fine. Transitions just need to be smoother. If it's smooth enough you can walk along a path for miles and not even notice you're zoning in and out.

6. Artariel

Artariel Avatar

This quote is the reason SotA will be closed for any further development and so are many kickstarter projects. Thank you for reminding.

Net likes this.
  7. smack

smack Avatar

If someone were to give them $6M then I'm sure they'd gladly take it and use it to build the many thousands of unique scenes so that you can travel directly from scene-to-scene like in EQ. But they likely still aren't going to drop the dual scale design :)

8. stile

stile Avatar

And lets not forget

Boats, mounted horses, freeform placement of housing on lots, elves as a playable race, swimming under water, and the hundreds of other features people would love to see but that takes time and money. 6 million wouldnt be enough :)

9. Smokinjoe14

Smokinjoe14 Avatar

Seamless world exploration is what I miss. Paths, roads and woods to trek/travel through between cities. Like the days when running on foot from West Britain to Trinsic. Or from Qeynos to Ak'anon, which included a (taxi) boat ride between Freeport and Butcherblock.

The traveling between towns and dungeons was as much or more of an experience than the scripted/instanced ones.

marshall, Chatele, Siren and 15 others like this.
  10. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

sigh...

losing the dual scale map is not and can not be a stretch goal. It would not only undermine the original vision of the game, it would introduce an untold amount of technical and design hurdles that would push this game back further than you can imagine. There are reasons they chose this design principle to begin with, not least of which is limitations of the engine they are using.

What you're asking for here is a complete redesign of the game, not a stretch goal.

Xaronzon, Heradite, Aegis159 and 9 others like this.
  11. King Dane

King Dane Avatar

*feels good*

12. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

lets just start over.....

how about no.

13. adaamhimself

adaamhimself Avatar

Many people here would rather have a small, disjointed world where scenery repeats itself over and over again.

Maybe they just realize that they have too much invested to actually criticize something they know won't ever change.

14. Margard

Margard Avatar

It would take 20 mil - to make the game as is and have a seamless world (from the dev's)

15. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

I'd sooner spend 20 minutes riding alone or in a party chatting from Bree to Hobbiton were I can gather resources along the way do some PvE, than 20 mins wandering aimlessly across the overland map with nothing to do unless I want to sit & watch instance opening/closing screens.
    Do you really believe that Potalarium will not make every hex instant travel, who would want to spend a year instance loading/closing every few minutes.
    LotR0's world is that large you could spend 24 hours riding across all the maps without a load screen, that's an MMO world just needs to be sandbox.

Siren, Tedds, Lord Baldrith and 3 others like this.
  16. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

they have already stated, multiple times, that there will be more points of interest on the map as well as actual encounters. And I think its pretty safe to assume that the loading screen times will be optimized.

17. Smokinjoe14

Smokinjoe14 Avatar

On the upside, the instanced/zoned towns does help create bottle-necks to bring players close enough to run into each other. As opposed to running for 20min without seeing another soul.

Heradite and Moonshadow like this.
  18. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Not if everyone goes SPO just to get at the resources with no competition, most you may get in one is 50 if you have that many on your friends list.

19. Logain

Logain Avatar

Wait a second! Where have they stated this figure? Could you please provide a link?
    Thank you in advance!

20. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

No, the overland map brings back the Ultima atmosphere from days past. I'm sure when the overland map is finished it will not only look great but it will be interesting traveling around in this view.

But I agree that the transistions need to be smooth (zooming down and up!!!) ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.