Please Balance PVP Loots To Prevent PVP Parasite From Being A Viable Playstyle

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Acaelus Fireharp, Apr 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

The logic is that since that player chose to wear high level gear, he risked it so its fair game, in UO if I knew I was heading for PvP, I didn't take my best plate out. If you absolutely need that uber gear to even stand a chance, the problem is the game...

Those choices has very little impact compared to the general outlook of how those fights play out.

Anyone remember the promise to have instance match us with similar level players ? I know I do...

But no... now they want to make some zones cap players at level 100... why take the problem from the slippery end ? Why not fix it and simply have two types of PvP flag...

I mean thats assuming they even care about PvP, cause thats an easy fix right there.

All other games have such mechanisms, some don't even let you attack a player 20 levels under your own.

I mean common guys wake up... we aint zombies... the fact we have attracted so many of those "parasites" should be a wake up call.

None, absolutely none of my "PK" friends would ever find it fun to kill someone in one hit, its not even fun nor challenging. Yet you have those people posting videos about the great pvp sota where its a succession of just that... a stealthed player running though players who seem like training dummies... none has any time to react, some can't even turn around...

How could we end up with such a big disconnect ?

Is this really the prophesied great divide ?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  2. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Currently, air mages are the fastest persons in all Novia. Just plain and simple. Dash is the most efficient move rate bonus ever (maybe after the fleet flute at low level). They have blink. And Air shield.

So, even if you have the tools to counter the attack, your enemy will generaly run away and come back to backstab you as soon as it please him or her. Not that those enemies are really smart or anything, but it's just very easy to do so when you have grinded as much experience as needed to properly level your air tree, buy the proper artifacts and improve your focus in order to get a good air shield with 1000~1500 focus reserve, far more than enough to defeat the adversary AND resist the counter-attacks in the meantime / or run with a 5 focus cost Dash.

In all fairness, one of those persons tried to kill me and one of my friend this way (on top of another one, who wandered across all Novia to find us without any result, babbling about being one of the best PvPer in all Novia, blah blah blah), when we were fighting some cultists. This person was obviously so much used to easy fights that she was not even suspicious. We rolled on her twice in a row. It was very pleasant. The only problem is that we are not exactly inexperienced people. And we had a lot of trouble doing this... in a two vs one situation.

Now just imagine people who try to have a nice PvP experience in this game but who can't do a damn thing just because as long as they can find a way to overcome the assault, the enemy just run away and come back later, at the worst moment. Yes, those guys or girls won't flag anymore. Hence why the pvp population don't really grow.

Balance is the core of every PvP experience.

Nog and StrangerDiamond like this.
  3. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

I have like 1800+ focus and fire+air specialization, any high lever archer will throw me in a garbage, because feature of this build dont work against high burst damage +chaos magic, you just will be dead very fast, archers make the fire mage suck. But yeah fire+air is a beast in open space, its like a hypersonic weapons :cool:

4. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

You change your talk when it pleases you. Not long ago, archers were trash, according to you.

Yes the archer can deal some good damage. But the fire/air mage too. And the air mage have stuns. Or you can use water, to make things even worse. And while the mage can resist arrows with the heavy armor or the shield (one tree and a good gear), that archer has to train every magic skills to resist your attacks (3 ~ 8 trees, with some without resist skill).

Also, it's not a natural thing as to use Torpid Torment in an Archer Build. Of course, it should be in every build. And that's one big problem, actually. Torpid Torment should not be so important against a mage or everyone will use it (like the shroud, the artifacts, etc...).

Spinok likes this.
  5. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Joke is that archer is a main counter to my new build(fire+air)
    And after DR nerf archer will be one of the main PVP gods in this game

Hornpipe likes this.
  6. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

PvP just needs to be balanced better. I don't think you should crap on people for trying to use all advantages they can, that's more like using common sense.

If you plan on pvping and your build is unbalanced on the lower end of the spectrum, expect to lose and don't wear high value equipment.

If you know/feel you're going to lose, and you don't run away, well that just seems really dumb to me. Not sure why using common sense should be targeted in such a negative way.

If you want to beat them and you think they aren't skilled, copy the build and beat them at their own game.

Ben_Hroth, Bigg and Hornpipe like this.
  7. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

That's true. But balance is not just an abstract thing. When you can't run as fast as your enemy because your skill is slower,... you just can't run as fast.
    And if the only solution is this :
    ...then we should just think about removing every useless skill from this game and everyone would look the same. It's already a problem, if you look at the PvP leaderboard, that said.

Personaly, I think that the game should reward every play style, but it's an extremely hard thing to do, especially when the choice of skill is totally free.

Maybe, I don't know yet. It's an advantage for sure, but the DR nerf... has already been nerfed. :D

Retro and Adam Crow like this.
  8. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

aimed shot that hit mob for ~near 1k, hit plate guy for 50, now it will hit him for 200, with piercing shot which would able to hit plate guy for 400+ it will make archers finally competitive...

9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I can confirm... I died last night in Krul to an archer who shot me in the back while I was fighting assassins... 568... I dropped dead I couldn't even see the arrow had to check my log. I don't even think it was a crit...

Had my best armor, devotionals, food buff and all possible defensive buffs HA/earth/water.

Spinok likes this.
  10. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I don't think that 568 without a critical hit is even possible. Even with a 6 stacked high level Aimed shot with good damage bonus on the bow. It's easy to check that in your log. As a critical hit, it would not surprise me (but you don't precise what type of armor so...). Ajnd it's not because of archery. The skills which provide such level of critical hits are not only in the ranged tree.

...And food or devotional buffs doesn't help with damage resistance as far as I know :D

People should try to grind with a pure archer. I'm sure that they would see things in a very different ways ;)

Athanil likes this.
  11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Probably a crit then... my armor is full epic copper plate +10 up to +15 with gaiaism, I also use a +13 shield but I got the arrow in the back... granted I'm only level 70 adventurer now, so I'm not supposed to be there in multiplayer in the first place :)

It was just to test how ridiculous it can get... and to get a taste of how the pvp players would treat me... res kills, insults... I was served. The game allows them to grief me until I quit to single player, and after people wonder why the zones are so dead except the hotspots.

And they were laughing... so somehow they think its fun to grief a low level player, its not like I was stealing their kills I was quietly going about my business in a non-occupied room. But thats what they do... see a player appear on the list, go kill, its like a FPS, score +1...

No need to wait until he's finished fighting and challenge him face to face, nope... arrow in the back... backstab and only when I'm low on HP... attacking a player 50 levels under you in a fair fight is too much asked.

All in all... that is what 100% of my pvp experiences are in this game... I die like a rabbit, I'm not even a sheep, a sheep could at least take 2 hits. Heck I'm not even a rabbit... at least he could see/feel something coming and not just die.

Hornpipe likes this.
  12. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I totally agree with your points here. All I was saying is I don't agree with the negative aspect being put on the players that are using every advantage and the flavor of the month builds.

Sure it's cheap, and all you can do right now is fight fire with fire. The only thing I didn't like was calling them parasites and making it sound negative. In pvp the goal is to win and kill your competition. Using all advantages to me is just being smart, shouldn't be a negative thing. I totally agree this is a problem and needs to be fixed. But I'm sure most of us can agree that is no easy task and will take lots of time.

Ben_Hroth and Hornpipe like this.
  13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

By parasites... we mean only those very high level players who prey on lower level players only as a cheap/lazy farming tactic, and run if they have even close to a fair fight. People that do the stealth attack only when you're fighting mobs low on health etc... it encompasses different levels of dishonor.

In fact if you remember, the parasite enters though the neck and nests against the spinal cord :p Those players are parasitED, and not parasites indeed :p

Nog likes this.
  14. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

That's sad to hear.

But I think that it's rather an inner fight you have to deal with than everything else. PvP has no rules except when the two sides accept to comply with the same ones. It's a jungle. And you have the people who behave, and the others. If you don't like the way how people deal with you, and if you can't do anything about it, then call for help or avoid them.

For the record, I try to never insult people when I'm in a fight, even when I feel like it would be deserved. But, sometimes, rarely, when I feel like the enemy is just fighting very dirtily, I whisper to my friends some bad words about that person in particular. And, for those very few cases, I'm generaly not alone with my feelings. Once, I just mistyped my whisper, and the insult went directly toward our opponent. I had to deal with a constant flow of trash talking about me for 10 minutes. :D Life is life. It was not my intent to insult. It was my mistake.

All this to say that everything is about point of view. As long as PvP won't have a good reputation system and a faction system, PvP will be without faith or law. And you will always have braggers who will try to show that they are stronger using the easiest way (when in fact, it does not make sense). That will never change, unfortunately.

15. Acaelus Fireharp

Acaelus Fireharp Avatar

Partially correct. I am Lvl 117, and have lower level air fire mages regularly attacking me at opportunistic moments whilst I am fighting NPC mobs in a PVP zone and using a PVE build due to the fact that PVP decks generally do not work well in PVE fights. Air mages do not have to be higher level since you cant really do much when you are perma-stunned in a ring of fire with a lich carving the back of your head off. I am GM air tree too, but since Air Attunement does not affect stun chance, that makes no difference whatsoever.

16. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Any form of lazy kill is a form of parasitism... in any respectable pvp circle that attitude is frowned upon since times immemorial. They're not in for the game, not in for the fight, not in for the stats... they're in to prey on your hard earned loot.

The exact attitude portalarium wanted to avoid by creating the pvp flag. We don't want it to be wolves hunting sheep they said.

Well that is exactly what it is, after alienating 90% of the pvp playerbase, thats what we're left with. :(

Nog likes this.
  17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

You're right, if you remember I'm with the full loot open pvp group. So I don't mind if its ultra hard, I don't mind about my gear, I don't mind to lose all I have.

All I want is ONE good fight, and it never happens, so the game is not well :(

I really hope it changes to, at least so this behavior isn't encouraged, because that is the only reason we didn't get our full loot/full pvp flag, according to the devs.

18. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

They wont do anything to those people who are part of "their" community. Some POT owners have been reported repeatedly for swearing insults and such and they still post here.

Fact is the people who constantly complain about gankers are in fact the people who insult and behave like children.

I agree though that the game needs more mechanics to give more meaning to PVP and put the dayz playstyle into perspective. Keep up what you're doing!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2018
    ozzzmosis and Erd174 like this.
  19. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

This is certainly not the place for such a discussion, but as people try to involve me directly and publicly here (while I was just mentioning a story without giving any name), I will give you the whole picture before you come with your own conclusions.

Here is the whole log, not the small part that our "friend" (which apparently read the whole forum and post only 1 message :D *hint* *hint*) choose to share :

[REMOVED]

The insult is automatically censored with the forum. I could add the trash talk that person had about me after that for ten minutes, but that is not the point here. As I said, that was a mistake. I tried to apologize later, but my messages were blocked.

The problem here is that the chat sometimes reset or change the name of your interlocutor without any reason. Hence why this message went to the wrong person. I would certainly had apologized sooner, if I didn't get insulted myself by a person who basically tried to slaughter me and my friend in a very disrespectful way.

Now, you're wrong : I already got banned on those forums, and I will certainly be punished after that one. But again, I totally know how people feel when they have to deal with persons who are just trying to take advantage from any situation in order to kill /grief you. I got angry myself. And that's funny, the people who behave badly are those who complain about the insults.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2018
    StrangerDiamond likes this.
  20. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

You guys should go back and read some of the earlier posts in Chris' blog when we first heard about ransomed values majorly increasing.I vehemently argued against them increasing as it increases the cost of entry into pvp. Essentially what Acaelus is arguing against is not PVP en general but against the current risk versus reward system in pvp zones. At the moment with the capped exp system then is no reward to risking gold and venturing into pvp zones. You can get much more exp and gold per hour anywhere else. So what we have in pvp zones is only opportunistic killings which means one player is only going to attack if they know they can likely win and will run and not fight if they actually get opposed. This causes a lot of revolving doors in pvp where newer players try it out for a bit find how much the cost get and quit. So people that actually enjoy the battles are left with no one to fight and the pvp zones stay fairly empty from this cycle. The best thing that could be done to fix this system for me would be some sort of token system where pvpers earn tokens for pvp related gear based on actually engaging each other. Gold which is the currency of pve should not change hands in pvp. Pvpers should not have to spend hours pveing monsters to earn enough gold to pvp that's just a flawed system which takes away from actually pvping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.