Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Please give us more lots

Discussion in 'Release 11 Feedback' started by ilcontegis, Nov 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ilcontegis

ilcontegis Avatar

Hello, unfortunately I do not have so much free time as some of you and I cannot play often.
    At every release lots are becoming all owned by someone so quickly that I never have the occasion to try them.
    I bought a house on the SotA store but I cannot use it.
    I am also starting to become worried about lots availability, what's the point to buy a house if after I don't have a lot where to put it?

2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

The mainland for the game is not yet available: So, all we currently have access during this release is a small portion of the world.

You will find, once the game is complete, that plenty of lots will be available to choose from. :)

For your viewing pleasure, here is a map of the mainland : https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/translated-world-map.15371/#post-251185

smack and ilcontegis like this.
  3. Net

Net Avatar

I think there are still free lots at Brave Coast and Ardoris. We need bit more for future releases though and we need unused lots to return to the pool of available lots.

Arianna, smack and Akiera like this.
  4. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

We will be adding back in some of the player towns and islands we removed from Hidden Vale for R12 so there should be a large increase in available lots.

5. Raven Swiftbow

Raven Swiftbow Bug Hunter

On the plus side, it shows that even the pre-Alpha game is so popular that you're running out of lots!! :)

licemeat and Akiera like this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

There's never a surplus of limited resources in an MMO.

I hope anyone that reads this thinks about at least purchasing a Row Lot if they're interested in having a home at launch.

licemeat likes this.
  7. smack

smack Avatar

Presumably you also have bought (either as a pledge reward or an add-on store purchase) a land deed to put that house on? If so, you will be guaranteed a lot in the final game when it's released based on the lot selection process described here.

But if you didn't also purchase a land deed, it has been said that there will still be a certain number of lots that can only be purchased in-game after the game launches. The current thinking is that the number of in-game lots will be about 30% - 50% on top of what was sold in the add-on store or received by pledges prior to the game launching. This was mentioned in the Deep Dive on Housing video here (skip to 2:15).

But during these Pre-Alpha releases, lots are available for testing and thus are on a first-come first-served basis. But as DarkStarr mentioned above, they will add some of the towns back into R12 and that should increase the number of available lots for testing.

ilcontegis and Koldar like this.
  8. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I am assuming that lot issues will be mostly become a null factor once the continent opens up?

9. Drocis the Devious

I think we're going to see more and more issues with the limited availability of lots as we get closer to launch. Finite lots don't equate to anything else.

Net likes this.
  10. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Maybe not, but maybe we can let people fight over them a bit too.

11. Montaigne

Montaigne Avatar

Although I agree that there should be plenty of lots for backers during the testing phase, if the game launches and everyone one can easily get a lot in the first week, the novelty of this game will wear off very fast for some players. One of the best things to keep people playing is the desire to achieve something scarce in the future. When I first played UO it was my goal to own a small home, and I finally hit this goal after 6 months playing. After I achieved this, I set a new goal of owning a slightly bigger home with vendors. Even to this day I dream about owning a huge castle. This exciting desire to keep playing for future riches is what SoTA needs to keep a healthy player base. Personally, if I started the game with one of the best homes, I very much doubt that I would keep playing for more than a few months.

licemeat, Net and Lord Baldrith like this.
  12. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

Didn't player owned towns pretty much do away with the concept of "finite"? Or is there a limited number of towns available??

Joviex likes this.
  13. Drocis the Devious

Good question, I don't know if player towns are finite or not. My assumption is that they are finite but we haven't come close to hitting that number, yet.

But what I do know is that individual player owned towns have a limited number of lots, and together with estimated individual player housing, the total number of lots in the game is still far below the number of estimated players that will want a house.

This is just a guess on my part (others with disagree with me, I'm sure) but shortly after launch I would guess that there will be at least 100k people that want a house that can't have one. That's a VERY conservative estimate on my part.

14. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

Yeah, will be interesting to see actual numbers at some point *kicks @Chris in the head*.

Thought they were going to share hard numbers at some point....

Joviex likes this.
  15. Drocis the Devious

They did, earlier this year. :)

[​IMG]

Of course, a lot (pun intended) has gone on since then. It would be great to see new numbers.

Just think about the graph shown above for a second though. Look at all those Village lots and Row Lots. When you consider that a city like Ardoris is only about 300 row lots and a few City lots. That's all the Ancestor and Navigator Pledges from May, before there were even Row Lots!

You can quickly see where we could have quite a few player towns and still run out of lots fairly quickly. Even if we wanted to have 1 row house per person that has pledged to date, that would require the devs to make over 150 Ardoris's. Are you picking up what I'm putting down? Housing is going to be scarce.

16. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

Yeah, I remember seeing that and would love for a weekly update to it, etc.

Wonder if they would consider creating a real survey and sending it to folks to get a "feel" for lot sizing (share or don't share)

Joviex likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.