1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Please Greatly Reduce Crafting Times

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Wilfred, Sep 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I don't think reducing the crafting time is necessarily the best "fix". Ideally, this would be something that happens alongside other changes that make crafting engaging and rewarding. Namely, crafting events.

Add active skills to crafting trees (gathering, refining, and production). Then, while the crafting bar moves, you switch to this new bar and can activate skills that pop up, just like drawing during combat. Different skills could exist (lower chance of taking durability damage to tool, increase crafting speed, increase chance of exceptional, etc), and combos can do special things. Heck, implemented correctly we could completely replace the random effects of masterworking and enchanting with special combos that are the only way to achieve the desired results.

Thats my pipe dream. A crafting game that is fun, non-random, and rewards players who actually participate.

Elrond likes this.
  2. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

I would like to see like an NPC you can buy from the COTO store and/or earn via a quest you can load up with ingredients and train in recipes for the relevant station.

For me like a sous chef. I load it up with wheat and, based on how much time it has crafted in a party with me and my skill level it will get better at making the same base recipes and fail less.

So then my sous chef would make all my pie dough, for example, and then I come in to make the final recipe.

How xp is balanced would be a challenge, but I would say that if you want crafting to be easier than an xp hit should coincide - maybe you make the choice of whether or not you pay the NPC in gold and/or it skimms from the xp that you would normally get for the things it makes for you.

3. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Had to lol on the manpower bit. Changing the time it takes to makes something is a single variable. It would take him less time to change it than to read this thread.

Priorities, however, is another story. As he famously said, "Suck it, crafters!"

But I think the reality is they just don't craft, and the owner is a combat guy, so he doesn't really care. Add to that that it appears they don't craft in other games either, and basically it comes down to "We don't know, we don't want to know, it is fine how it is."

Just take a look at the batches for scrolls. That had to be dragged, publicly, kicking and screaming, out of him by making him craft 100 scrolls. 100! ONLY 100! And if I remember correctly, he didn't gather the mats, and he didn't even finish!

"Don't know, don't want to know, not gonna do it until I get embarrassed on a stream."

Did a MAX button ever appear? If not, that was one he griped about himself, publicly, as he was being forced to play his own game. Just sayin.

Anpu and Jack SinAssist like this.
  4. oplek

oplek Avatar

Not yet. Noticed that the other day.

5. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

I think Gear for crafters could be a better option and less work to make this work . Your suggestion of 0.1 sec craft times will result in hundred of clicks that need to be done in less then 10 mins ... hope we dont go down that road. Chris had the right idea ..best way to do this is through batch crafting ...problem with it was the implementation ...

We have 1000 + crafted items recipes ingame , that will require separate recipes for batch craftin..which is a huge workload that honestly i dont think its gonna happen.. probably why Chris gave up after adding the batch scroll recipes.

However theres an easier way to do this ... If you create a system where you can enchant a chest to give you +5 batch crafting , legs +4 batch , helm +3 , boots +2 , gloves + 1 , you no longer need to create thousands of batch recipes you can just have gear impact the batch power and craft times can be reduced greatly without needing to do hundreds of clicks in few mins.

Same can be achieved through skills ...create a skill that gives + 1 or +2 batch for every 10 levels ....less work for them better effects for us.

Or

0.1 sec craft times but then a max craft button is a must to eliminate the hundred of clicks .

Theres also another aspect to consider with this .. CRAFT XP

Alot of crafting is done currently for craft xp .... increasing the rate at which xp can be aquired through crafting .... could have unforseen consequences .

Things to consider

Crafting a potion at 0.1 sec that rewards 10k xp would result in 600 potions /1 min = 2.160.000 potions in 1 hour = 25.920.000 potions crafted in 12 h.

25.920.000 potions at 10k xp/potion = 259.200.000.000 XP in just 12 hours

This will change the tide from best crafters being those who invest time... to best crafters = the ones who invest most money .

Before any craft speeds are implemented ...craft xp rewards need a rework .

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    Malimn likes this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

They could do batching a different way: the number of items you select to craft at the bottom is the batch size, the progress bar runs only once, the RNG for each item is generated during the progress bar anumation and at the end, the number of crafted items, the number of exceptionals and the number of failures is reported. It would work for everything you could craft and no new recipes required (they could even get rid of a few).

Wilfred likes this.
  7. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

SotA really needs to speed up the refining times.
    Notice how quickly materials can be refined in this other game:

At about 9:45 in this video:

At about 1:05 in this video:

Vladamir Begemot and Scooby Doo like this.
  8. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

As part of trying out the new food system, I crafted a bunch of butter and flour.

The incredibly boring drudgery of crafting butter and flour reminded me again that the refining skills in crafting really need to be sped up.

The current system really only benefits players who have alts set up to do their refining.

Refining of materials like ingots, leather, boards, butter, flour, etc. needs to be at least 10 times faster, and I would prefer that it was 100 times or more faster.

Leaving Producer XP the same while speeding up refining would actually be a good thing.
    It would give players an incentive to refine the materials they gather.
    And it would create a demand for raw materials, which would make Mining, Foraging, Agriculture, and other gathering activities more profitable.

Dollar Bill likes this.
  9. oplek

oplek Avatar

Imagine if combat in Dark Souls was a loading bar with a static scene behind it. For some reason, we accept that crafting should be watching loading bars, but combat will be the complex, interactive, and hypothetically fun experience that may take awhile.

Wilfred likes this.
  10. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

Yes, The crafting time sink should be in the gathering stage when players are out interacting with the world, not in the refining stage staring at progress bars for hours.

11. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Would faster refining from a crafting set be a fix for you? I mean I understand some other games have it shorter than us by default, but some games also have it longer, and they allow to reduce crafting times with gear, artifacts, heck even different tools/crafting stations have different crafting time modifiers (some make is slower but allow bigger batches, for overnight processing, while others make it faster but have smaller batches, allowing for some speed processing while actively playing).

I think the processing/crafting times are fine if the game would give us the tools to actually make these timers very short with enough investment.

Anpu and Elrond like this.
  12. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

No, because I want this game to grow and succeed,
    and the slow crafting progress bars are a huge deterrent to new players trying out the crafting system.

Once the base crafting has been sped up at least 10 times as fast,
    then the devs could add gear to speed it up again to 10 times the base rate,
    for a total speed up of 10 x 10 = 100 times as fast or more.

Gear speed ups would work well after the base crafting speed has been fixed.
    But the base speed increase needs to happen first.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  13. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I floated the idea of letting people deco while stuck in the crafting UI. If the camera is detached (it can already be set to spin in some cases, I thought this was an improvemnt but it turns out it was unintended and I think they removed that awesome addition), you could have a limited range /slew (already exists) so that you could futz around with stuff while waiting forever for crafting to finish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.