Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Please help me to understand this

Discussion in 'Release 40 Feedback Forum' started by LordWeb, Apr 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordWeb

LordWeb Avatar

Maybe it is due to the fact I am not an English native speaker ... but I was under the impression SotA is for free. After all, I backed the game with a three digit figure. And now I am reading I need to BUY the episodes approx. once a year – another 40 bucks per year, approx 200 in total? What is it I am missing or what did I understand wrongly?
    Thanks.

2. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

SOTA has never been free, you will have to purchase the initial game like any other. Im actually not sure if you have to buy into each of the 5 episodes but from what I read, it s probably the case. However, buying into things like bundles have these built in.

The devs are offering "free" couple of day trials for people.

3. Dartan Obscuro

Dartan Obscuro Avatar

SotA does not have a monthly subscription but you need to purchase the game to play it. Backers above a certain amount received a reward entitling them to play the future episodes. You might have that reward depending on what you purchased.

SmokerKGB likes this.
  4. Beli

Beli Avatar

SmokerKGB likes this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

None of the bundles (that I know of) include any episodes other than the first. Only pledges did.

SmokerKGB likes this.
  6. Della kit

Della kit Avatar

Can someone explain to me what an episode means? I always assumed it was optional DLC content after the 'base game' is done, but now I feel all sorts of confused. Is it an online access thing?

7. Gurney2

Gurney2 Avatar

@Della kit a new episode means new content like a new continent to explore (where you can live ofc = new living space) and a new story, new races , new bundles (like pirates for ep 2 i think) ect

8. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Think of all the other MMO's. Once every 1 or 2 years they release a huge update with massive new lands, story and areas.

9. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Were the episodes only included in original kickstarter? I do not see them listed on those pledge pages. I have Explorer, but pledged after KS was over. I'll probably be fine kicking in an extra $40 per episode if needed, but if I already end up getting them then I can turn that money to to add-ons I probably would not have gotten before. :)

10. higginss

higginss Avatar

11. Beli

Beli Avatar

Has nothing to do with kickstarter, If you got a Explorer pledge then your good for all 5 episodes . Its all about the pledges before they went away. Check your account out like higginss said.

12. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Episode is going to future content post release.
    Right now = pre alpha for the final Episode 1 on launch. Epi 2 will be probably 1 year after launch (content) which was said to be much larger areas to explore, whilst more Story elements (by Tracy Hickman/LordB) unfold in their entirety.

Della kit likes this.
  13. Gothmar

Gothmar Avatar

Basically, look at an "Episode" like an expansion for a game like WoW. TBC for WoW would be what an Episode is like, for this game. Each expansion for WoW you had to buy.

Pledges are not the same as bundles. Bundles are small packages of items you buy from the Add-On Store. Pledges are a level of commitment a player buys that gets them certain non-game breaking items in return. Pledges were not only during the Kickstarter. They were around for quite a long time after the Kickstarter was done. Above a certain level of pledge, you would get an additional reward of up to the first 5 Episodes for free, as you pledged X amount of dollars to help back the development of the game.

I hope this helps explain it better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.