Please make add-on store COTO be $5 for at least 5 COTOs during live stream

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Roycestein Kaelstrom, May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Now that we no longer have store credit. Can we please at least make the add-on store to sell at least 5 COTO per $5 during the live stream?

I feel like shooting myself in the foot for getting 4 COTOs at $5 just to support the dev team.

2. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

I'm against this idea because I feel it might restrict sales to primarily happen during the livestream.

Also, purchases during the livestream of this amount gets you quite a bit of extra goodness already.

Daigoji Gai, FrostII and Vaentorian like this.
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

How would it restrict sales?

iansmellios likes this.
  4. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Knowing that getting an extra 20% on your purchase if you make it on a certain day might make purchasing any other time less desirable, especially for mathy folk.

Take OP for example, he already feels like he's shooting himself in the foot by making that purchase on a day when you not only get 4 COTO, but tons of sometimes epic items piled on top of it, valued at well over 1 extra COTO. I imagine that the $5 COTO purchase isn't Portalarium's hottest selling item as it is, and this idea just makes it less appealing. People are already likely to make the purchase on that day anyways.

Then consider how many $5 purchases are made during the livestream. That 1 extra COTO turns into so many more on the market, bringing the value of them down a little extra, making the 4 COTO for $5 purchase even less desirable.

I mean, I know it's just one COTO, but the cons here simply outweigh the pros.

Daigoji Gai likes this.
  5. Nick

Nick Avatar

Can we then have a 20% extra worth of cotos on a 5$ Coto purchase since this is an approx 20% off sale.

iansmellios likes this.
  6. chrisjwhite

chrisjwhite Avatar

COTO's are never part of the sales.

7. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

They should make it $5 for 5 all the time.

8. Roycestein Kaelstrom

I don't follow how would there even be a con here.

1. Under normal circumstance, I would not be spending $5 for 4 COTOs. So there will be no restriction here since the sales wouldn't happen in the first palce.
    2. There are currently no items on the add-on store that I am interested in buying regardless of whether it's during the live stream or not. In the past, I would buy a $5 store credit for the future use. That is no longer a viable option here. $5 COTOs is the closet option I am willing to spend at this point.
    3. This $5 for 4 COTOs pricing was recently added to discourage people from spending on COTOs along with the $10 and $20 options. Unless they are willing to pay $40, they are getting COTOs at the loss. I wouldn't bring this up if the price was $5 for 4 from the day COTO was introduced to the game.

I do not understand why anyone would defend the new pricing scheme. It costs nothing to generate one COTO into the game. If flooding of COTO from add-on store is a really a concern here, then COTOs shouldn't even be part of the add-on store in the first place. That does not seem to be the case since the options for $40 and above do give extra COTOs.

All businesses should strive to boost the sales by stacking up values to the customers, not trying to cut values down and convince the customers to be ok with it. That would just be counter productive.

In any case, how about everyone just meets half way and change the price back to how it was regardless of what day it is?

9. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

The OP suggestion was to increase the $5 purchase to 5 COTO from 4 during livestreams only. There's no real reason to do that since people who only want to contribute the minimum for the bonus rewards will already be making that purchase anyways. So the cons are 2 different ways that makes the $5 COTO purchase less desirable when there's no livestream (detailed in my previous post) and there are no pros because those sales will still happen regardless.

So on to the new suggestion of reverting to the old pricing for COTO. I have no problem with it provided that the new pricing hasn't boosted COTO sales by incentivizing larger purchases, which was clearly the intention. If revenue is up because of the current pricing then I see no reason why they should change it.

Daigoji Gai and Cordelayne like this.
  10. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

So although I dislike the new COTO pricing, disincentivizing me now from buying them, I do agree with your point.

If revenue is up due to Portalarium's use of the "Decoy Effect" , more power to them. This is a commonly used marketing strategy and it wouldn't make sense for Portalarium to revert back to the previous model. Now, I would like to think they track these numbers fairly regularly, analyzing for any inconsistencies in consumer purchases of COTOS. If it's dropped significantly, they need to figure out why. It's not always simply due to the introduction of a new pricing model. Variables such as player population, in-game pricing of COTOS, etc., can also play a part.

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Well, the simple fact here is that I won't buy 4 COTOs for $5. If there's nothing that I desire to purchase during a livestream, and I don't want to spend $20 or more on COTOs, then I spend nothing.

12. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

1 coto isn't going to change my mind when i can gain a bunch of stretch goal rewards.

The rewards are always worth more than $5, so I bet there are very few players that would share your view on this topic.

Daigoji Gai, jammaplaya and FrostII like this.
  13. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I'm not a marketing expert, just a player/backer who - like many of you - occasionally take issue with certain decisions made by Port.
    However, I've never had an issue with store pricing on anything.

When I first saw the change to COTO's in the store, my reaction was - they're trying to steer buyers away from the $5 deal and encourage a bit of higher level COTO purchases.
    I don't have a problem with that because, in my way of thinking - COTO purchases represent the "bread and butter" for the dev team - the one "stable" source of revenue.

Whenever the livestream happens, I can ALWAYS find items of reasonable price in the store to be certain I can participate in the "goal" rewards.
    I've never felt "pressured" to buy COTO's in the store, so the 4 for 5 change is no big deal, and makes sense to me that they use it as incentive for higher level COTO purchases.

If you can't find ANYTHING in the store that's feels worth at least $5 during livestreams, then how can you expect Port to continue funding our SotA ?
    For me, the issue in the OP is a non-issue....

My 2 cents.......;)

jammaplaya and Adam Crow like this.
  14. Roycestein Kaelstrom

The problem with that is now there are many low-cost items of interest that are either $4 or $6 or the number that is not a factor of $5. It wouldn't be that big of a deal back when we had store credit since I would be able to buy $5 store credit and keep it until I want to grab the item based on what I have in my account at the time. Everything was all good. Now that is not an option anymore.

Since store credit is now gone, the closet thing that would allow me to make bigger purchase when something good come along in the future would be COTOs. As part of in good faith, the COTO should at least revert back to the original price scheme, so that it will be an equivalent alternative for people continue to support the game the way they have done before with store credits without leaving sour mouth in their taste.

Anyway, I think I have said my piece. Feel free to pitch in thoughts and suggestions.

iansmellios and jammaplaya like this.
  15. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

There are items available for $5 when they go on sale from 6 or 7 I think.

Daigoji Gai and FrostII like this.
  16. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

This ^^^^^^^^
    I always find something that I think is cool, and usually at a sale price.

Daigoji Gai likes this.
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I wasn't speaking for you or anyone else. If you and others think it's OK to spend $5 on in-game currency that only gives you $4 of value to purchase the same items found in the add-on store then do it.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    iansmellios likes this.
  18. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

For us Europeans it costs us $6 for 4 gold coins now :(

iansmellios and jammaplaya like this.
  19. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

That's not what I said.

When you spend $5 for 4 cotos during a livestream, you also get a bunch of rewards that are worth much more than your original investment.

Daigoji Gai and FrostII like this.
  20. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

In fact @Barugon if you truly feel that way (which I have my doubts), next telethon that you can't find something that tempts you, just buy the 4 cotos for $5... I'll give you an extra coto and $10 for all the rewards you get. Problem solved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.