Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Please make walls, fences, signs, and roads in the addon store more accessible

Discussion in 'Release 39 Feedback Forum' started by Rosemourne, Feb 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rosemourne

Rosemourne Avatar

@Berek, maybe you could see if this is feasible?

It would be nice if, instead of these pieces being set, we would be delivered a certain number of bags that we can choose the piece we want from. We see this technology in certain rewards, so I hope it wouldn't too difficult to make it happen for these packs. Then, if I want 2 standing brass hospitaller signs I can purchase one pack and choose them instead of buying 2 packs and wasting 16 signs

Let's look at an example for walls. Walls require the following:
    • Town: 1 short gate, 4 corners, 5 straights
    • City: 1 long gate, 4 corners, 10 straights
    • Keep: 1 long gate, 4 corners, 18 straights
    • Castle: 1 long gate, 4 corners, 30 straights
    They come in packs of the following:

5 straight walls w/ladder, 5 straight walls, 4 corner walls, 2 corner with tower walls w/ladder, 2 straight with tower walls w/ladder, 1 short gated wall, 1 long gated wall, 8 wedge walls, 2 left junction walls, 2 right junction walls, 4 inward corner walls, 2 inward corner with tower walls w/ladder, 2 stairs left, 2 stairs right

Meaning if players wanted to decorate their homes with purchased walls, they're left over with the following waste:
    • Town: 7 straight walls, 8 corner walls, 1 short gate, 4 junction walls, 8 wedges.
    • City: 2 straight walls, 8 corner walls, 1 short gate, 4 junction walls, 8 wedges.
    • Keep: 6 straight walls, 20 corner walls, 2 short gates, 1 long gate, 8 junction walls, 16 wedges. (After buying 2 packs)
    • Castle: 6 straight walls, 32 corner walls, 3 short gates, 2 long gates, 12 junction walls, 24 wedges. (After buying 3 packs)
    • POT: Hoo-boy. I won't even touch how much waste would be in putting a premium wall around your town!
    This pattern is seen in roads, which come with 2 of each template piece, sign 9-packs, which likely include at least 6 you don't necessarily want, but are forced to purchase anyways, and fences.
    1. I would love to put a white wall around my POT instead of the crafted one, but I don't want to pay for 80% of a pack I won't ever use because I need straight pieces.
    2. I was excited about roads coming to POTs and planned on utilizing a premium road over the crafted ones. However, I only really need the straight road pieces for my town, meaning I'd be buying packs to waste 50% of it.
    3. I would love to have some premium brass hospitaller and real estate signs to advertise my town, but I don't have any interest in the silver or wood and don't want to pay for a pack I'll waste 66% of.
    As it stands I haven't purchased any add-on packs for the above items because I hate feeling like I wasted some of the packs. If the power to customize the pack were in my hands, I would have purchased some and don't think I'm the only player in this boat. I wholly believe if this change were implemented, more packs would be sold.

Just as a note, I intended this post to be feedback and I hope it doesn't get taken as a complaint or gripe. Speaking with other players, I know this has been a sensitive subject in the past and I hope any following discussions can be kept civil. Thanks for reading the wall of text!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  2. ShadeObscura

ShadeObscura Avatar

Thank you for taking the time to explain this so well.

One addition that I see is the gates are also a really long piece which limits where and how they can be placed. It would be nice to see new gates (Add-on store and crafted) that are just the gate, not the fence/wall on either side.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  3. Rosemourne

Rosemourne Avatar

I believe that's exactly what the short gate is

4. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

This is an excellent thought out consideration, worth us considering :). I'm not in the office today, but will definitely get with the team and mention the community's interest in more flexibility in these item placements.

5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

While you are at it, ask them about the flexible placement of houses on deeds as well ;-)

Koldar and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  6. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Good Lord.......... +100,000,000!

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  7. Aimend

Aimend Avatar

I have asked about this with respect to signs during a past telethon. To put it simply Darkstarr said it couldn't be done. Had something to do with the way the addon store works. I can't remember the exact details and I don't remember which telethon. I can try to dig it up tonight after work.

@Berek @DarkStarr

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  8. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I remember that, but I also remember thinking "that can't be correct" since we can buy bundles which includes pick-bags. So delivering pick-packs from a purchase is just a subset of that.
    As such one should be able to sell a 3-pack of pick-a-sign-bags, or a 10-pack of pick-a-wall-bags.

The only question is rather if the extra effort would generate enough extra sales/revenue to offset the additional cost.
    I think it should since this would lower the threshold between 'oh-shiny' and 'click-buy' and removing the 'wait-a-minute' obstacle which makes players pause long enough to skip it.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  9. Aimend

Aimend Avatar

I thought it was an odd response too...but figured it just meant they didn't have the time or demand to code an option like that.

Sadly though, it doesn't change the fact that they said they couldn't do it. I was just trying to provide info from past experience for the OP. Maybe they will look into this going forward for items with multiple options/sizes/types. I still haven't purchased any signs from the add-on store. I don't want to deal with having to sell or trade what I don't want.

Edit: And at the time I was looking to purchase signs for a PoT. I wanted different colors to represent different districts and different sign types for different uses. So it would have been bulk purchasing. The number of sign packages I would have had to purchase at the time to do that rendered my idea infeasible.

Sara Dreygon and Spoon like this.
  10. Selene

Selene Avatar

I want them for sale singly from a crown merchant. I don't mind paying a bit more "per piece" if I just need one or two of something.

11. ShadeObscura

ShadeObscura Avatar

Yeah, there is the short gate for the castle walls. However, fences only have a long gate (gate with fence on either side). Would be nice to have the option for a short gate in the fences, would allow more flexibility of placement for lots and POTs.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  12. Rosemourne

Rosemourne Avatar

Ah, fences. Sorry about that, thought you meant walls.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  13. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

Pick a bag section for walls, signs, and roads would be an awesome way to do this. I would buy even more that way.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.