Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Please please please make town criers easier to find

Discussion in 'Release 38 Feedback Forum' started by Kara Brae, Feb 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Some towns (like Aerie or Resolute) have a town crier near the entrance of the town - you have to pass the town crier to get anywhere from the entrance. Other towns have their town criers in a town center that is itself difficult to find.

I have been running and swimming around Point West looking for the town center/town crier, but having no luck. There are no indicators on my compass, so there is no way of knowing if I am running in the right direction or not.

One theory may be that "hiding" the town crier/town center makes avatars explore the town more and pass more player vendors. But in practice, it prevents me from visiting towns at all that I'm not already familiar with.

I would love the convenience of having a town crier at the entrance to every town. Failing that, please at least put the town crier on my compass so that I can find him without wasting valuable time.

2. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

3. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

Good suggestion about adding the town crier to the compass.

I'd like to ask NPC's if they know where stuff is too. Where's the blacksmith? If there's multiple blacksmith locations perhaps there's chat dialogue indicating there are multiple locations and each location is underlined.. when you click on one it puts a marker on your compass? I wouldn't mind if you could mark simultaneous locations this way, so you could go from one location to the other as you find them. Or maybe it marks all of them at once. Also if the NPC's knew related shops that would be cool. Where is the alchemist shop? "So and so's alchemy shop can be found here, there's also a magic shop here.." hmm.. I'm starting to see the problem with this concept though, it might discourage players from browsing player vendors to buy the same items.

I'd also like to see a banker and town crier at the default entrance of Central Brittany. Thought maybe the town crier could be right near the POT wagon area by the rope ladder of the 'exit to Novia' air balloon. Might be cool if the rope ladder had smaller triangular flags similar to the larger flags in the area.. they'd be affixed to each side of the rope ladder trailing from the air balloon to the ground. blue perhaps. having the town crier close to the default entrances helps folks find player vendors easier?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    iansmellios and chuck5086 like this.
  4. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

I agree - especially with cloned "suburbia" towns, i.e. vast empty landscapes with a well hidden village center it is a slight nuisance to look for the town crier. An easy fix for such empty villages would be road signs that point to the village centre.

Kara Brae and FrostII like this.
  5. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

Maybe a telepathy spell that lets you talk to the town crier... or a portable smart vibration transmitting device.

FrostII likes this.
  6. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

I like the road sign approach over the auto-compass approach.

Gatsu. and chuck5086 like this.
  7. uhop

uhop Avatar

I would like if a town crier gave people maps, and put objects on compass for all local establishments and notable places. Additionally I would love to have a neighborhood map clearly visible as an in-game object, and looking on it will give an avatar a map (if it is not in their possession), and again, mark locations on a compass.

Edit: it would solve a problem of changed geography/locations --- a town crier and a map stand will have the latest information, and will update avatar's maps, if needed.

FrostII, iansmellios and Ancev like this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Would be nice eventually if they just had a special town crier's outfit. With a bell in one hand, a scroll clasped in another.

9. Grimace2

Grimace2 Avatar

Town guards should all know the general location of the town crier when asked and point the avatar in that direction.

Hornpipe, uhop, Numa and 1 other person like this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I vote for always having the location of the town crier on the compass.

11. Numa

Numa Avatar

I like this idea very much - it's immersive.

Hornpipe likes this.
  12. Selene

Selene Avatar

Or we could equip all the town criers with these..
    [​IMG]

iansmellios, Spoon, Grimace2 and 3 others like this.
  13. Grimace2

Grimace2 Avatar

This is nothing short of brilliant.

Please Jira.

x_Selene_x likes this.
  14. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

Central Brittany is only place I had a little trouble finding him and only because how large the city is, most other towns they are usually in the main market area. I'll try point west and see if I can find him.

It would be cool if he had a bright orange hat or a balloon over him... OR they could let us ASK any guard to point us in direction of him or even a variety of locations like "Hey Guard, where is the nearest tavern that serves ale and has cute wenches"

(Hope Dev's will consider taking that feature from other mmo's... would be awesome if they tried other games and incorporated what works "and isn't copyrighted", and put those ideas into this game)

Maybe... someday... soon

15. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

There is already the "where" keyword implemented.
    However since the buildings and NPC s are still moving around it doesn't work in all locations.

Also from my conversations with the tavern wenches in Novia it seems that their affections are usually for the local guards and as such you might find the guards' response to such an inquiry somewhat less than informative.

...and yes there is actually a function that collects all conversations with local NPC s which means that Lum on occasion (he is pressed for time) can look at the top ten and then adds responses to certain themes, and yes the ladies in Novia seem to get a lot of suggestions from outlanders and a bunch of them will respond to such.

16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I don't know when it was implemented but this appears to be how it is now, so thanks to whoever implemented it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.