Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Please remove teleport scrolls

Discussion in 'Release 32 Feedback Forum' started by Poor game design, Aug 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Teleports are not in any way shape or form to be used for breaking the local economy model. Using it that way is the ultimately reason to remove them completely. The only reason they exist is to help people group up.

Dantuin, Womby, Lord Bankee and 5 others like this.
  2. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

what do you think about the summon option? There could be a summon stone at each zone for groups to summon people to them.

Rebelweasel, Leelu and Tahru like this.
  3. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I don't know. There is no perfect solution. Grouping up is as important as the economy.

Leelu and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  4. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

well yes and no, but it all depends on what mode you favor. What summoning would do would allow people to summon you to them instead of the willy nilly teleport. It would allow for you to join a group but not tele back and forth from the bank/house.

Leelu and Tahru like this.
  5. Gadfrey Zukes

Gadfrey Zukes Avatar

I agree that the teleport scrolls are a necessary tool for friends to connect. I have limited gaming time and therefore want to be able to log on and quickly connect with a friend, however I only need to do that once per session.

However, I also don't want scrolls to be abused for easy travel. I like the feeling of vastness that limited travel brings to the world. I also feel the use of the moongates and the increasing knowledge you gain of the map over time really adds alot to the single-player experience. I would also like to have an interesting regional economy.

I strongly believe therefore, that limiting the scrolls with a long cooldown is the reasonable middle ground. I also feel that a limit of one real-world hour between uses is reasonable minimum to limit abuse.

if multiple people need to get together, they just need to agree upon a single person as the destination, then they can all teleport to that person to get started in a session. If a party breaks up in less than an hour, I think waitng 15 mins or so before you can teleport to a new friend/party is not a huge burden.

6. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

Don't like the scrolls, don't use them, the game has enough time sinks.

Dantuin, Xandra7, Kilhwch and 7 others like this.
  7. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

The teleport scroll prices are already controlled by players. Ever since the Shady guy no longer carries teleport/recall scrolls, it has to be craft by people now. All I can say is it's a PITA to do it.

If the goal is to promote regional economy, taking away the scrolls would actually be counter productive. People would be more likely stick into certain centralized location instead of spreading out. Why trouble yourself going to the other part of the world if stuff you need will be available at certain central location (either it's available there or someone else haul to it).

8. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

that is the point of regional economies though. Regions should have specific different resources than others. The mode of transportation initially was supposed to go through control points in which it would be difficult to pass because they needed to be cleared first. That gives purpose to transporting them and guarding the wares, especially in pvp control points. This was the initial plan and why you cannot be encumbered using a tele scroll. When I had my duke meeting with Richard we discussed this very topic. If misused tele scrolls break the regional economy and make a world economy because it will set standard world prices instead of regional prices.

Tahru and Leelu like this.
  9. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

What if your list of friends to teleport to were propagated as a random list of 5 options? That way you weren't ever guaranteed a target in your exact destination.

Lord Bankee and Tahru like this.
  10. Latnem

Latnem Avatar

I just want to add my 2 cents.

I have Recall and Teleport Scrolls for sale in Owls Head first right after the bridge En Nox Exports Restocked Daily.

Viva La Scrolls

Kilhwch and Whyterose Flowers like this.
  11. Roycestein Kaelstrom

So there are couple things that need to be addressed before they can pull this off.

1. Those who come from the area nearby Elysium, Aerie, Etceter region do not have to take any control point to access Brittany and Owl's Head. Because that advantage, Drachvald, and South Paladis become de facto of ghetto zones. If it weren't the love story path Perennial Coast would join the club as well.
    2. Right now if someone wants to haul a large amount of goods, they can just pull Patrick Swayze and go pass control points. It's much easier than using teleport scrolls multiple times.
    3. You can't really lose the wares, so there is no point guarding it.

Keep in mind that there are already regional prices going on. With teleport scrolls, it will attract people to travel to certain region to obtain the goods at the better price. Rather than stay at certain centralized location just for convenience.

At the end of the day, the regional economy can be sustainable if and only if there are enough people to support it. In order to get more people, we need to make the game more fun to play. Taking their time-saving mechanism at this stage would only make people feel more upset and less likely to spend more time on the game.

12. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Hrm, you do make some good points. I think the regions are not originally separated by towns, but by quadrants, kind of like when you pick you town. NW, NE, SW, SE quadrants. The control points on the map should be the division of the regions, not the towns or individual islands. I dont have a map in front of me but I think you are correct saying it is a bypass of control points if Elysium has a direct ship to Brittany and Owls head. I would suspect that there should be some kind of cost for those travels to be equal to the time and effort to travel on foot. Richard always talked about the cost of instant transport. I do not know if it will be implemented or when it will but it should according to what I remember. If not then you are certainly correct saying there is a problem.

Tahru, Roycestein Kaelstrom and Leelu like this.
  13. Selene

Selene Avatar

I always thought the scrolls should have a cooldown timer. At least 30 mins... probably no more than an hour.

14. Roycestein Kaelstrom

or 15 minutes just like taming cool down. Considering one could go from one corner of the world to the other within 10 mins with coconut and know where to go.

15. Couldin

Couldin Avatar

I could crash and lose my scroll and have a cool down timer. What fun that would be!

/s

zyxe and Whyterose Flowers like this.
  16. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

not me, I got laaaaaaggggg lol. :p But yes I hear ya hehe

17. Cind

Cind Avatar

Why is this being discussed? Did the developers post something? If not then why discuss the topic?

Dantuin and Whyterose Flowers like this.
  18. Cind

Cind Avatar

Let's also do away with armor because that helps you to stay alive and players use it all the time!!!!! Will anyone ever be pleased when everything is going good?

Dantuin and Whyterose Flowers like this.
  19. Nox Haven

Nox Haven Avatar

If the price of teleport scrolls go up, quantity demanded will go down, but this 'will not' affect the demand for the scroll (just the quantity demanded). Nerfing the scroll (i.e. Cool down,; making it less usefull) 'will' affect demand by shifting the demand curve to the left. Lowering the supply of the scroll (i.e. Making it harder to make), will cause the market to raise prices.

IRL, eonomically speaking, nothing improves a region's economy more that an increase in traffic by providing more avenues of transportation. Train stations, airports, uber drivers all improve the economy. IMO, lowering demand or quantity demanded for this style means of travel ( in this case a scroll) is the single absolute worse thing that can be done for the SotA economy. Horses, personal boats, ballons, ferries, magic scrolls, paid caravans are great for the economy. Nerfing any of these = bad for the economy. This is not an opinion, these are proven facts with centuries of backing research tought in every business school in the world.

So, pretty please with sugar on top, keep the teleport scroll.

20. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

The developers wanted to get rid of the zoning because that works against the economy plan that they wanted. Seems enough people complained about not being able to zone to form groups and join events, that they made the "/zone" a scroll. That scroll is being exploited to undermined the regional economies. This is just a discussion about that. The developers are the only one that will make that choice. They made the hole, they can take it away or live with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.