Please remove the slowing effect when around anything living

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Khalest, Jul 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khalest

Khalest Avatar

OMFG! Please remove the slowing effect that we experience when we pass close to a living being, or they pass close to us. It serves absolutely no purpose other than causing the player to give anything breathing a wide birth & if your in a hurry & are around a few people its really very very very frustrating. I mean i was running to catch someone before they got out of my sight & all of a sudden i was in slow motion, but there wasnt anyone around. Then i happen to look down & ther was.....a friggin cat at my feet. All that bullshit for a cat? Seriously it has to be the most worthless, nonsensical, frustrating pain in the ass effect of this wonderfully fun & awesome game. I know for a fact i speak for many players when i humbly BEG you to please remove the effect completely from the game.....ty for your time.....Good night....

Bink, Lace, Vladamir Begemot and 18 others like this.
  2. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Slowing is better then just walking through them... Although I would much more like it that you would bump against the object. You can always use jump to exploit that behavior btw.

Ataniiq likes this.
  3. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

I agree with Khalest. Would rather just move through them than the annoying slow and its long duration. It's more of an annoyance than anything useful. Maybe severely reduce the duration if keeping the slow mechanic.

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes, one of my most hated features.

5. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings all. So you want the real life physics of fighting but not the real life physics of walking thru a crowded area? @Khalest and @Feeyo are correct, just jump over them to avoid them. Collisions are in the game for a reason. I don't want to see cats and dogs merging or walking thru walls.

Chatele, Daedwax and Elwyn like this.
  6. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

in the overworld map it is painfull to slow down for towns and zones too, and that is not really immersive in any way

7. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

The slowdown isn't in any way realistic. If you're running down a street and there's a cat sitting your way, most of the time the cat will run to get out of your way. Most people would get out of the way if they see you too. If you do bump into something while running, you might send a person flying or trip over something, but you don't stick to things, walking slowly for 3 seconds.

I think this is probably one of the most common SotA complaints. It was a lot more annoying when I started playing, because watchers would always run right under your feet whenever you were in town. At least that got adjusted.

Lace, Witcheypoo, Kara Brae and 6 others like this.
  8. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THIS ENGINE NOISE.

lol j/k

Airships don't have engines.... do they?

Rentier likes this.
  9. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I mentioned this in a video, and my reasoning behind it's existence is this, Lord British clearly likes NPCs to slow you down if you enter their space because he wants the NPCs to be real residents in their world, you have to respect NPCs and since few respect them, you're forced to respect their space for immersion purposes, they slow you down, this is not a mistake, in UO similar slowness took place when trying to walk through NPCs, would be nice to have a stamina bar, but that's asking for too much and it won't change so don't worry about it, just be extra careful to walk around NPCs

Onyx, Elwyn, nonaware and 1 other person like this.
  10. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greeting @Lazlo You said
    non of these things are programed to happened in the game.They follow paths and NPC will say "Watch where you are going" or "Don't run into me" but will not move out of your way. Much easier to avoid or jump to not have it happen. As for the overworld same thing goes. Run around the town. I fell the slowdown more when off the path but that also is something that can be avoided.

11. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

It's a game. A fantasy game. I never saw a man using a stick and throwing fireball either..That doesn't mean we need to remove it from the game.
    I also agree with the OP, the slowing effect is rather annoying. Remove it or use something else . You can block for real players and go throught for NPC. Like most games do.

12. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

It would be lame to just run through NPC:s like they aren't there. The smallest, cats and such, could be made an exception. But for the rest, the mechanic is there to make us notice the other inhabitants and not act like we are alone in the world. The slowing is not the most elegant mechanic but it's what we have.

Daedwax and Gorthyn like this.
  13. Bigg

Bigg Avatar

Why can’t they just make them solid objects like when two players are tagged pvp? I mean that’s a lot more realistic then the turtle slow ghost walking.

Give us a push ability if abused have it trigger the magic mage cop that spawns when caught stealing that prompts you if you have a problem.

Can add a knock down sensitivity level that if you sprint right into a town only npc it can knock them down. After x amount of times within a certain window it too could trigger the magic mage cop.

This to would boost the realism of the game far more and make you think about how you treat fellow npc within a town.

14. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Slow walk around NPCs. Slow walk around a harvest-able node to get to the right side.

NPCS are secretly harvest-able nodes! :eek:

15. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Don't you love it when you talk to real residents and they say, "I don't have a name I can share yet?" ;)

Athanil, Kara Brae, Chatele and 5 others like this.
  16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Most people in rl go around other people and dont try to plow through them. The ones that do have the mentality that everyone else will move out of the way for them :p

They ideally wanted other NPCs to be completely solid objects, but was easier on the performace to make them slow you down instead

Daedwax, Alley Oop and Feeyo like this.
  17. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I’ve honestly found it hilariously amusing how much this enrages some people....

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

1. Decrease the length of the slow-down (i.e. make the interruption shorter -- by half at least)
    2. Decrease the collision circumference (i.e. decrease the range which triggers the slow-down)
    3. Remove logic from npcs to make them approach players when they are nearby (i.e. stop making npcs purposely collide into players)

Coffee Pirate likes this.
  19. Bigg

Bigg Avatar

(Edit: can’t seem to get my picture to load in :( but it was a man punching through his monitor)
    How I feel walking through town ;p

Jaesun likes this.
  20. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

There are some technical reasons for collisions as they are. Take your choice, slow down near NPCs or have NPCs embed themselves into objects. Collision "boxes" around each NPC must be simple, low polygon shapes for performance sake. That low poly shape is either a cube or a sphere. Now, try to fit the "cylinder" of an NPC into a cube. Either the cube extends beyond the NPC or most of the NPC extends beyond the cube. So take your pick, NPCs that "bump into" you when near, or NPCs whose head or arms stick through walls and such.

Cordelayne and Woodchuck like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.