Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Please Return Damage Resistance Back To Pre-53

Discussion in 'Release 53 Feedback Forum' started by By Tor, Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

The game is broken, and there is no point in having plate mail now. This is not people whining about a change. This is a mistake made by the developers of a game.

2. Sarek

Sarek Avatar

Yep lets all just switch to the super speed fire mage build and solo everything, because apparently that's all fine.

Plate Melee did not need this level of nerf pure and simple, as a plate melee build I could not solo all content by a very long way and I am AL 99, in fact there are many things I cannot kill solo at all. But other builds certainly can and do - constantly so why did melee get all the love this release?!?

Infineon, Aldo, FrostII and 5 others like this.
  3. DAKelam1

DAKelam1 Avatar

I haven't had a chance to login since I am at work so I will reserve final judgment on the severity of the nerf for now.....however I will comment that regardless of actual numbers the optics of a change like this shows that the developers do not want us playing anything other than a mage or ranged class and they certainly don't want an "open class" system there is a reason why the top 1% have always been primarily mages from exploiting and cheating their way through control points to soloing bosses and places like the monkey room.....so now leather/chain with death shield is going to be top spot tank type like it's always been just without even a small competition from alternatives

P.S. I am getting tired of them labeling nerfs as "bug fixes" to take heat off of themselves and give people a reason to defend them....things like this have been this way for a long time if it was a bug and a problem it should have been "fixed" a long time ago stop trying to spin things like a politician and straight up say hey we don't like this we are changing it don't hide behind "bug fix"

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Nikko, Dhanas, Bigg and 4 others like this.
  4. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

This kind of issue is cyclical. To not be to harsh on the dev's, we have been here before. Something was changed and it feels like it was not properly thought out and vetted and is leading to "math" challenged consequences. It seems to me that if this is actually what is going on then the variables missing are those that make given mobs natively higher level and therefor give more xp. So if a player could easily kill a tier 5 mob and now they can barely kill a tier 3 mob due to this change then that tier 3 mob (assuming they know how to build their char right) should be raised up to a represented level of 5 and should give the XP as a lvl 5 mob.

Because everyone here would admit that if a adv lvl 80 character is being shredded by a *very* green tier 3 mob now... thats an issue.

Tamsen, Boris Mondragon, Aldo and 4 others like this.
  5. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Part of this is absolutely not true, as I recall, the 1% people right now are primarily swords (with hybrid)... not mages or ranged. But on the flip side, yes, people can still solo stuff like that which I still dont think is intended.

6. DAKelam1

DAKelam1 Avatar

Aka mages wearing leather/chain and using death shield...I'm not disputing the dps value of blades just the fact that any other armor setup is worthless and without magic as your primary defense/utility you will have trouble succeeding as well as someone who does which is anti "open class"

7. golruul

golruul Avatar

My standard buffs were, in order, defensive stance, glancing blow, parry, fortify defenses. I would refresh this whole stack about every minute.

As melee, I found it counter-productive to use cover against other melee mobs. Frequently they would get cover but I wouldn't. Against archers/mages, I used cover whenever available.

None of that really matters, though, to this situation. A 49% nerf to max DR means (to me) plate armor isn't worthwhile anymore. If it was this way before I wouldn't have invested so much in the heavy armor tree, which is why I'm requesting a 100% refund at a minimum.

Nikko, FrostII, K1000 and 6 others like this.
  8. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Im adv lvl 103 now, the only magic school I use if life and Im doing just fine. Im literally near pure archer and never user death shield since its nurf last month.

I have never focused on DR, Im usually using parry, absorption and (bah forgot, not at computer) buffs with chain.

The Rise:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/252862545

Elwyn likes this.
  9. golruul

golruul Avatar

I was a bit short-sighted here. This change affects melee as a whole and not just heavy armor. Probably should have 100% refund on anything related to melee.

Nikko, By Tor, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  10. SteelCore

SteelCore Avatar

In R52 i could fight all 9 Rogues and Swashbucklers in Twins Foothills at once with just having Elysian Illumination running and wearing Pledge Armor and a 2h sword. The Rogues did a lot of 0 damage, just their bleeding attacks were doing damage.
    To be honest, that was wrong.
    Right now i just tried that 8k hitpoints Elite Elven Fighter in The Rise and i didnt noticed any difference between R52 and R53, i expected more trouble now...

Elwyn likes this.
  11. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

Yea, i can agree that the slider went from one side allll the way to the other side.

Tamsen, By Tor, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  12. Almar

Almar Avatar

Someone tell Chris, we're out of Beta.

13. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

The big question is - what point is there to even wearing plate armor now? Should we all just switch to leather armor with a chain chest, and stack damage avoidance? This DR nerf seems over the top. I think it was the right intent, but the math is horribly wrong.

As a melee class, you wear plate because you are constantly getting hit. You need the added damage resistance...you sacrifice your ability to cast spells for that added protection.

Now, we are retaining the spell fizzle rate, but aren't getting the protection. What's the point?

Almar, Sarek, By Tor and 4 others like this.
  14. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

lol

FrostII, K1000 and Cordelayne like this.
  15. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

But... we were never IN beta... :p

16. golruul

golruul Avatar

Thought I would respond to my own post yet again.

The devs say how much they hate it when players mix-max and don't want the game to be focused on that. To an extent I agree. If the max DR nerf was, say, 10-20%, I would continue on with my plate armor build even though it wasn't as good anymore. This is because I was familiar with the playstyle and liked it enough to not change (i.e. it's good enough and I'm lazy).

Now what do the devs think will happen when some "balancing" comes in that completely, utterly screws over a key part of the player's build? The players are going to look for another build. Now, since the players need to completely redo their build, do you think they are going to look for some mediocre build to settle on? Of course not. They're going to browse around looking for the one of the best builds. Not only because "it's the most bestest!", but also because they don't want to completely redo their character as often. Because completely redoing your build sucks. It takes days at a minimum. It sucks a lot.

Don't want players constantly changing builds to min-max? Then stop screwing us over all the time.

discipleofweb, Dhanas, Almar and 4 others like this.
  17. DAKelam1

DAKelam1 Avatar

So this is my point there is not only not any advantage for plate but also nothing but disadvantages for doing so...Starman you would never be caught dead(well you probably would die if you did) wearing plate and that's fine you are a ranged character....but if leather/chain is decidedly better in all situations by a large margin before the dr change and even more so afterwards then why even have it in the game.....oh wait it's so that portalarium can claim they have no classes and you can be whatever you want......the current state of the game even before this release shows that their claim of a classless game is patently untrue because there is only 1 or 2 ways to truly be competitive and anything else either sucks or gets nerfed into obscurity look no further than taming which is still waiting 2 years later for a meaningful change in a positive direction

By Tor, FrostII, K1000 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

So from last night to today, in the same Adventure area, I went from a completely manageable Tier 4 area to extremely dangerous Tier 4 area. Using the exact same combat deck and skills (I use chain). There are a couple of defensive skills I could possibly try and experiment with, will give that a try, but I doubt it will make any difference. I’ll assume then now Tier 3 is now possibly Challenging or possibly manageable for me now. Will also give that a try when I get home. This is a bit of a drastic drop though....

By Tor, FrostII, K1000 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

From @Chris 's Blog

Clarification on Damage Absorptions since I've seen a handful of players raging about this. So reminder that this didn't used to be this high until just a couple releases ago. So while this number decreased, it is just slightly lower than it used to be.

Second important note, I should have added the two skills that grant damage absorption to the 100% unlearn return list. I will get that in for the second patch. First patch is already building and has some critical fixes in it for AE targeting, performance, Monkey room fix, and a few other items.

Third, lets go over the math of what damage absorption does. If you have 50 Damage Resistance and 150% Damage Absorption and you get get for 100 points of damage, it stops 50 points. On the other hand if you have 50 Damage Resistance and 50% Damage Absorptions it stops...50 points.

Damage absorption determines the max amount of a hit that can be stopped. So if you have 60% Absorption, at most, you can stop 60% of any hit but not more than your Damage Resistance. So damage stopped on a hit = Lesser of DamageAbsorption*AttackDamage and Damage resistance. So this means that you aren't stopping any less damage from big hits, just the little ones. Previously players could stand and let a pack of wolves or bears attack them and take no damage. That was broken and not intended and reported by a number of players as such.

Fourth, in PVP this HELPS melee types. Why? Because casters don't care about your damage resistance! However, caster were also able to get their absorption up super high and ignore a lot of hits. Most importantly, they were able to ignore rapid barrages of small hits, like Rapid Fire and quad slashes. This does open tanks up to more damage from ranged players but other than that it is either a wash or a benefit.

Fifth, yes, I need to do better at making fewer big swings in math. I had talked about this for a while but had said I would put a cap on Absorption. I decided against that because in my tests I found it was really easy to hit most caps with just leather or chain. That would be one more big reason to not wear plate.

Again, sorry for the thrashing but I strongly believe this is the best for the game. This is one I really wish I had caught before R52 but didn't because I have too many balls in the air.

WELL THEN, How about 100% return on ALL skills not just a few you screwed up for MANY RELEASES, so the rest of us can unlearn all this BULL **** and become LAME Fire mages that solo everything like the rest of the server i guess.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  20. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Chain is barely different then Plate. Plate has higher fizzle and I would wear it if it did not effect my heals as much. I have GM's in most heavy armor skills and use them. Im a tank archer (seriously) because I have learned that the actual open class system in this game is so good that I can do that. In fact, I just GM'ed the skill that lowered my fizzle and I haven't tried plate yet, I might actually be able to wear it in my archer build (if the life fizzles are not to bad). That is where we disagree. Im farming the Rise like it were butter.

But I also dont wear plate because I want to wear chain, even if plate were better I would probably wear chain. Its great to have this choice.

Bigg and Jaesun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.