Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Please Return Damage Resistance Back To Pre-53

Discussion in 'Release 53 Feedback Forum' started by By Tor, Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

Notice his blog post doesn't mention why he decided that Damage Absorption should be cut in half vs something else, like 20% for example. It's usually better to slowly tweak it conservatively than to make massive sweeping changes like this. 50% cut to Damage Absorption seems EXTREME. Even if it is only stopping partial damage under our damage resist number, that adds up in a hurry, especially if you are tanking multiple mobs - which always happens in group content.

Oyjord Hansen, K1000, By Tor and 4 others like this.
  2. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

+1

I am, for the first time EVER, seriously considering selling my account. This is completely unacceptable to me. I can understand the thought process behind, "Previously players could stand and let a pack of wolves or bears attack them and take no damage. That was broken and not intended and reported by a number of players as such." but here's the problem with this. I AM A MELEE CHARACTER, I'm not picking them off with a bow or ranged spells I am getting in close, which last time I checked, pulled multiple mobs of enemies! If I run away they all rubber band back so there is no way I can just fight one or two. Add in how the DR "adjustment" nerfs plate, and you're absolutely right. I might as well be a cloth wearing mage. Or a chain/leather wearing ranger with magic. Oh wait that's right, I never wanted to play either of those builds to begin with! :mad:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  3. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

This is exactly how I feel. I can't understand how this is good for the game. I don't want to play this. There is NO WAY this is similar to how it was in say R48 or R49 before they had the "bug" in which you could resist 100% of damage. I never had this much trouble against things. And, like I said, I put the defensive buffs on, and they make NO difference. Something was overlooked, and something is wrong. I'm not exaggerating when I say the D buffs don't do anything. They literally don't help mitigate 10% of the damage now. I have seen it 100 times today with both (on and off).

Oyjord Hansen, K1000, By Tor and 2 others like this.
  4. DAKelam1

DAKelam1 Avatar

We agree that there is not a huge difference in defensive capabilities between chain and plate and that is an issue because as a plate wearer I am giving up the ability to cast anything outside of healing spells and earth spells (sans earthquake because it too has high fizzle even with my fizzle skill at GM) so the fact that a fire mage or an archer can wear a chain chest and leather (or better yet bone which is chain with less fizzle) and be just as well off defensively (arguably better with the right spell sheilds) as me in plate is not right. I am already taking a tradeoff in utility and what I can do why shouldn't it be the same for them.

As for @Chris and his post he obviously doesn't get why people are upset and he claims he's trying not to make plate less desirable when in fact he has made it less desirable which I admit I have to give him credit for because it was already in a pitiful spot in PVE compared to other armor options but hey once again massive "balancing" for the sake of the almighty PVP which is exactly why the two systems have never worked with each other in any MMO

5. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

It won't help. I GMd nearly all defensive innates AND active skills. I used them all at once. It makes no difference. Something is broken, and they'll hopefully find it sooner rather than later.

K1000, By Tor, FrostII and 1 other person like this.
  6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

First it was the asinine counterproductive death penalty that we're still stuck with, and now this absurd nerf to heavy armor melee.
    Pathetic is too kind a word.
    What the hell are they thinking ?
    It's no wonder so many have left or are seriously considering it.
    Their concept of "balance" is centered around PvP and what the 1% can do, while leaving the rest of us choking on bad air.

Malimn, Tamsen, Nikko and 4 others like this.
  7. Yipp

Yipp Avatar

As I mentioned previously I can understand @Chris point that for the good of the game he needs to make significant changes to the way Damage Resistance worked. We all can expect developers with good intentions making unpopular changes that in the end will make the game better. We the community do not know what the entirety of what developers are planning and I trust them to get it right.

That being said, these changes are of a significant nature, which do more than just effect damage resistance, it is effecting the entire playstyle of your character. There needs to be a 100% experience unlearn for all skills in the wake of this change, not just a few. I feel pretty strongly on this issue, as strong as my belief in the developers getting it right in the end

Nikko, discipleofweb, FrostII and 6 others like this.
  8. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

And all the sudden "This is the end of the world! I'm quitting!" that's going on isn't trolling? I've had to suffer nerfs before without going completely headless chicken over them.

9. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

I agree this isn't quit worthy for me. I'm still hoping the devs will see that 50% reduction to max was too much, and tone that down a little, then the fix should be fine.

Nikko, Elwyn, K1000 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Strange... my DR went up! To 8.8!

11. Malum

Malum Avatar

GM deflection and even with 91 glancing blow active, I feel like I'm running through the woods naked with a belt made out of hotdogs as I run away from a pack of wolves while wearing a full heavy set of armor . . .

12. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

These changes are not meant to upset players. I am pretty confident that they would go the extra mile not to upset us, if they didn't feel they had to.

What i do find encouraging is that they are , even with bad press at moment, willing to make these type of changes for the good of the game. Personally i feel we should worry when the hard and unpopular choices aren't being made.

13. Elay

Elay Avatar

I try my best not to complain on these forums - but this has really destroyed my character build. - really disappointing.

Nikko, FrostII, Cordelayne and 4 others like this.
  14. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I understand your sentiment. However, after reading through this and other threads... it appears that this change is almost universally disliked by the players. Is that really good for the game?

discipleofweb, Nikko, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  15. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Well put Bow Vale and I do believe they are trying to do their best. Unfortunately, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Witcheypoo, Nikko, FrostII and 3 others like this.
  16. Malum

Malum Avatar

I don't think most people are upset they are getting damaged by lower level mobs that are green etc, I think it's more the amount they are able to damage and the amount you cannot deflect. I don't mind getting damaged by lower level mobs but progression as a heavy armor/tank class should be that you use your heavy armor and tanking as part of your playstyle, so once that starts to go away, you start to lose your playstyle and have to conform to other ways of playing. If the change was 50%, that was way too much and needs to be adjusted so it lets heavy armor make sense to use as one of your main abilities.

Tamsen, Nikko, FrostII and 3 others like this.
  17. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

Reasonably, it should cap out somewhere around 85-90% of damage being blocked by the armor. It's realistically capping out around 62% without an unearthly amount of time grinding to reach the supposed hard cap of 70%, which is still far too low.

This needs to be a logarithmic curve that approaches 85-90% at the top end and starts to level off around 75-80%

18. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I completely agree, 100%! I don't care about taking the damage, that's part of being a "tank", but now you are forcing me to play a different archetype and that stinks! I was already disappointed that I had to put valuable xp into magic simply for resistance buffs, etc. Now, I can no longer be a plate wearing warrior without seriously playing at a severe disadvantage. Really, really stinks...:(

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Tamsen, Nikko, K1000 and 3 others like this.
  19. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Based on the Kickstarter descriptions, I invested heavily in this game for Solo play. It is way to late to negate that promise now. This game should service solo players and group players equally as to playability.

20. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

Your obviously not a heavy armor/plate user, and have no idea what we are talking about, we dont want to be Freaking mages/archers, we play a tank because it is what we like. They took that ability away with this patch plain and simple, I just got my lvl 106 killed in a siege because now all of a sudden im taking 60-80 points of damage PER HIT from 6 green mobs.

Sarek, Nikko, K1000 and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.