Please Tell Me Im Just Misunderstanding The Player Vendors...

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Ookla, Oct 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

On the other hand, I literally just found out that you get all of your asking price (minus deposit) back from the PV if you're buying stuff.

So I just started doing it, and that is a nice 10% + 12 gold gold sink that they are getting out of me again.

Maybe without those punative item loss rules people would be using the PV more and those 10% + 12 gold fees would add up to more than they get when almost no one uses them so a few items get destroyed but not much else.

Aeryk and Steevodeevo like this.
  2. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

I think that is exactly right. Again, with no data it's speculative to say, but to me it seems like PVs are totally broken, as in hardly anyone uses them due to the punatuve fees and vicious item expiry rule, so they don't create a significant (nasty) gold sink or serve their intended purpose (I assume they were intended for) of a vendor for new players or solo players who don't want a house, vendor or guild.

Aeryk, Elwyn and Xandra7 like this.
  3. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I have never understood why they implemented it this way. Since the beginning that I have played and lost the first item because of this, I never added stuff to the public vendors anymore.
    Just sent us back the item, we do not mind losing the vendor costs. If you are already sending us the mail with the paper listing as attachment why not also just add the item that was listed.

I don't get it... But then again there are lots of things I do not get lately here.

4. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

It is another daft way of doing things, essentially penalising and annoying new players who do not have access to their own or a guild vendor and who just learning the ropes of the game.

Yes what happens if you don't sell within the time limit is stated in the small print but that doesn't make it any less of a ridiculous policy and game design decision.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  5. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Agreed, but like many things if people complain / suggest about it being changed as a QoL thing then itll probably happen as all it does is discourage people from using the pulic vendors and hence make the game world feel emptier.
    Who knows, maybe even some people have ragequit over it.

Aeryk, Elwyn and Gorthyn like this.
  6. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

I guess it is like this to incentivise people to use player vendors. Really, if you think about it, they could have just not had PVs at all, would that be worse or better? What if the PVs had very small downside, would anyone use player vendors at all against the upside of a low cost high exposure central market?

7. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

The original intention might have been to reduce the item count on PVs when a huge number of players were listing and re-listing items.

Huge number of players didn't manifest, so the technical benefit of this design decision isn't obvious.

Perhaps we could formally make a request to modify this since the anticipated scenario never came to pass?

smack, Aeryk, Xandra7 and 2 others like this.
  8. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I think the problem is the expectation - in almost every game ever, item fails to sell ,you get it back.
    Yeah I know, read the fine print, but the reality is our public vendor situation is pretty sad. The up-front commission was bad, its still bad, but at least you don't pay if you don't sell now, which is slightly better.
    Still though, it seems public vendors are designed to discourage their own use by being extremely limited, regional locked, etc.

I expect the reason we couldnt get items back when these were added had to do with the complete lack of a mail system early on. That could potentially be reconsidered now that we do have mail, global banks, etc.

Kara Brae, smack, Aeryk and 6 others like this.
  9. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Read the fine print when you put an item for sale on a PUBLIC vendor. Private vendors to not expire. I've never liked it, but that's the way it is. If I had a choice between removing this or lowering the listing fee, I'd kill item destruction on expiration in a heartbeat. The good news is that your item went into the loot pool, so someone may find it.
    Even more so, when the item has "No Value" (most COTOs and store/reward items), you get back one (1) gold.
    Is it really a "major" item sink? People have to actually put an item put an item up for sale on a public vendor, and most people who have been playing for a while avoid them completely.
    Good point. If the item deletion didn't happen, more people might use the public vendors, and it might become a better gold sink.
    I remember hearing some talk about discouraging "people using vendors for item storage", which seems extremely silly considering all the options for storing items on property, and global access to banks.

10. Eric White

Eric White Avatar

I've been here 4 weeks and have never even bothered looking at a public vendor. I can get better deals from player vendors.

Aeryk and Jaesun like this.
  11. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Players are the ones listing on public vendors. And you can get screaming good deals on them because the players know there is a time limit so list low to move the item.

I usually advise new players to check them regularly until they have gotten a sweet set of gear for far below crafting cost.

12. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

Unfortunately the public vendor system was set up to punish the peons and encourage the elites (players with disposal income) to purchase and use commission free vendors.

I understand you don't want endless amounts of junk listed forever and need a timer/limit, but the way it was implemented just made it into another nail in the coffin of 99%ers.

The result of features like this is a pyramid scheme consisting of a top stone only - not very impressive.

13. Aeryk

Aeryk Avatar

After the initial wall of text our bleary eyed player is frantically clicking just hoping to make the boxes go away. Not the worst example of this in the game, but for the player that loses a high value item it is probably a rage/quit type of event. I am confident we can improve this with some thought.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  14. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I started on a basic account, I have never purchased anything from the add on store other then a few cotos to sped 5$ for the telethon rewards and for a long time I didnt even do that. I now have many lots, have 20 cf vendors, few million coin, tons of mats, top adventure level in the game at base 131. Time spent playing can get you everything you want.

At what time does someone accept their ignorance and blame themselves? There were warning of telling you how it works, you did not head or read them, whos fault is this really? If there is a warnign label on something that says do not touch when hot, and I go and touch it, is it my fault or the company that made it?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    Aldo, Elwyn, calkano (PAX) and 6 others like this.
  15. smack

smack Avatar

Public Vendors are barely used. When I was doing my Land Rush surveys, I'd also occasionally check the PVs in NPC towns and PRTs and 99% of them are empty. Any change to them to make them more useful and less punishing is fine by me. Heck, make all PVs global :D

16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The pre-paid commission already takes care of this. Giving the default value for an item that expires is just mean.

Elwyn and evillego6 like this.
  17. Doctorface

Doctorface Avatar

Unintended cruelty, what a term. Limiting the masses like this is kinda terrible but I don't think it was intended for something more than to insure that people pay attention and actually return to fix things like this. That said it would be better if users had a way to check what they have on public vendors without having to rely on out of game kept documents or memory in an incredibly busy and attention intensive world. The system of keeping notes just isn't viable in a gaming environment where efficiency is king. Even from a strictly business system anyone who automates their inventory will do infinitely more business than someone who keeps a hand written or digitally kept logbook of sales. If immersion is the problem then give us a ledger as an item our character can carry with us that jots down the in game date that the item will expire so we can keep track of it.

Alas that isn't likely, since it would take more work than I think the team can handle. Here's hoping, tho.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  18. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

You make a note in your phone when items will be expiring and where, and then pick them up if they haven’t sold.

It’s beyond extremely easy. I do it everyday.

How is this so hard?

Sean Silverfoot and Feeyo like this.
  19. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

It shows how long the items have been listed on the vendor now.

Sean Silverfoot and Jaesun like this.
  20. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

These public vendors are a bunch of crooks. You should at least be able to take them to court or settle the matter pugilistically.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.