Polearms

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Myth2, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

I found two interesting polearms that were excluded from the lists I posted which might be worth at least adding to the list of possible choices.. though I don't know I would pick these over the ones I picked out, if we're having a limited selection.

The first is the demilune , or half moon, fourth from last here, a 16th-17th c Spanish polearm,

[​IMG]

The partisan here (pertuisane) is a nice design too in that it has the two side blades longer and functions like a corseque or ranseur.
    Second is the talon pike,

[​IMG]
    Which is the second in the list. I'm not sure what purpose that had except gripping. The same thing could probably be accomplished also by a three-grayned staff like a corseque or something with a sickle like a guisarme, that also has a functional blade.

smack, monkeysmack and Isaiah like this.
  2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Love these pictures.

3. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

I have always loved halberds and I think they make formidable weapons!
    I'm looking forward to being able to swing one again.
    Swis/German/Spanish I think all styles are excellent.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

smack, Isaiah and monkeysmack like this.
  4. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

Nice pics redfish and sakuraba!! +1 :)

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

Redfish, for clarification, all the items you've listed are polearms correct? UO had me thinking a lance was a sword :p

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

Sakuraba, speaking of halberds,

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The one in the first pic looks like it could do a lot of nasty damage.

Mordechai, yes, I believe a lance is properly a polearm -- or, at least, this isn't the first time I've seen it listed that way. One of the lists shows a spiked mace in it and I haven't seen that listed as a polearm, though. It would depend on how long it is, I guess.

smack and sakuraba like this.
  7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

The more I see these things I'm amazed at how horrifying these weapons are. They may not be close range weapons, but they are more frightening than any of the other weapons. It doesn't matter what angle you come in contact with one of the tips of these items you're getting hurt.

8. redfish

redfish Avatar

smack and Isaiah like this.
  9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

This was very comprehensive.

10. smack

smack Avatar

Fascinating pics everyone! There seems to be a lot of variety here and it got me reviewing the Polearms combat skills again and noticed something:

Innate:
    • Reach: Increases range of Polearms
    Aside from the actual Ranged Combat Tree, this is the only Innate skill in the other melee (non-magic) combat skill trees that increases your range. I have no practical knowledge of how these are wielded or used in combat (sure, I can guess), so I'm hoping others here can shed light on this.

How can dumping points into this Innate skill for Polearms increase the range of my attack when I'm really limited by the length of my weapon? If it's not unique to Polearms, wouldn't this Innate skill also apply for all other melee weapon skill trees?

11. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

The real question for me will be the functional. Most pole arms were used for specific functions, much of the time in formations. When used by a lone individual, or one acting alone in a group, the pole arm was a toolkit for that guy's job. The halberd could keep someone at range, hook a mounted opponent from his horse, flip it around to put an unhealthy dent in heavy armor that restricted breathing, or prevented it outright...

If a pole arm is just a fancy animation and an excuse not to be able to use a shield or dual wield, I'll pass. A pole arm that lets us have increased range in melee is a great start, but if all we do is apply melee damage on swings...meh.

12. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Poll arms were used by castle guards too. Usually they work together to keep a front line in tact or something like that, but they are an effective weapon in their own right. The Asian versions of poll arms were used by single individuals quite well. It does appear they would be at a disadvantage if you could get inside its usual range. They might take that into account. Deadly at the normal reach and 10% or 15% less damage at close range... who knows.

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

What's easy to forget is that pole arms have 2 ends. Unless they're particularly long and hard to maneuver (probably not the kind we'll see in-game).. then getting 'inside' just means you have two ends you need to account for. I've seen enough pole arms in use to know being close is not somewhere you want to stay.. as with any other weapon.. you get in.. you strike.. you get the hell out of the way. :)

14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

one thing is for sure is each weapon style is well balanced so far. There isn't one particular style that stands out as being dominant. Even though maces do the least amount of damage nobody will like fighting against a mace fighter. Even if you win the combat your weapon and armor will be beat up to hell.

15. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

yeah Krull!

16. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

im for halberds and stuff like that! They do alot of damage!

17. Mith aka Crazy_Scriby

Mith aka Crazy_Scriby Avatar

A hally hit with a pre casted flamestrike was fun yea :)

18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I can't wait to see what type of combos pollarms would get. Root, legtrip, and armor piercing might result in a great combination. I'm sure some of the killing blows would be great with these weapons too since they have enough potential to cut through limbs or the whole body in combat.

19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ok I really wanted to show the sort of "glaive" I was thinking of. This isn't really the traditional glaive you're going to find with a google search but I think it's still a glaive by definition.

[​IMG]

I think you can guess which one it is. Mine is a little heavy for what it is. I've seen much lighter ones and they are nasty business. :) This one is basically a recycled Viking blade. (No sense in a good blade going to waste).

Sir Frank likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.