Policy failures in a virtual world mimic real life.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Greyfox, Sep 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Idk, im worried of late.

Sir_Hemlock and Derium like this.
  2. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Lots of people are, but publicly speculating gloom and doom isn't doing us any favors. Any curious person who takes a glance at our community would assume the sink is shipping, players are giving away their houses, and you can't get ahead unless you buy an 800 USD bundle.

It's not hard to believe that casual observers would believe these impressions, especially when so many of the current players seem to.

Despite my Baghdad-Moscow timezone, I'm seeing more people on the overland than when I started just after launch. The guild I have joined is burgeoning with new players, some of whom have backer titles. Things are looking up on my end.

Let Portalarium sweat the business and end. It's literally their job. And they know how to do their job.

Our job is to enjoy ourselves. Their job is to provide and maintain the systems that facilitate that enjoyment.

We all have our ideas on how to make those systems more efficient or better attuned to the current state of the game, and that's great, but we shouldn't be parading all over cyberspace with placards reading "The end is nigh!"

Instead, we should ask what we can do to make things better. In my humble and unsolicited opinion, we should keep a stiff upper lip in public and have fun in the game. Nobody wants to share a world, digital or otherwise, with whingers.

A vibrant, energetic, and optimistic community will draw far more flies than diatribes full of entitlement and idle speculation.

3. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Its not a pipe dream, I started with a row lot (place anywhere) that me and mate bought between us, Excluding the free rowlot we all got I now also own a taxed village pot deed, a taxed town place anywhere deed, a taxfee rowlot and a taxfree village, all aquired ingame.
    It takes time and effort (been playing on and off since persistence) but it is achievable if you want to do it :)

4. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Beautiful words and all, really I just want to see my friends and family reinstall thier games and start playing again. I want to see more than 5% of the guild on at a time, I want to see full zones and active vendors.

Ill be here till the end when ever that is at some level of play im sure.

5. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

@Anvar That's an inspiring story, chief, and that's the kind of thing we need on the front page. That is years of hard work, and I'm afraid to ask how much IGG you paid for those tax free lots :eek:

@Brass Knuckles I wish there was something reassuring that I could say about the folks who have moved on, but that's kind of just the way it is. Consumers are fickle and the market is saturated with MMOs (though not necessarily ones that we want to play). Your diehard commitment is wonderful, but you're definitely in a (relative to the entire current, past, and potential player base) quite small minority. I totally understand if you feel that your social circle or niche has eroded out from under you. In the end that is what got me out of UO.

It's also what brought me to SotA.

6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

@Jason_M Virtue Gear moves for 10 to 15k per piece, slowly. But in general you've got to stay ahead of the market (or at least keep up) and have traffic. It's all about wood and barks right now, and I anticipate gems will be suddenly worth something when lava fishing comes in. Expect granite and whatever else it takes to make dungeons to rise in value too.

And yes you've got to connect with the buyers. If you're off the beaten path that means advertising.

I know this is somewhat off topic but when I hear people are frustrated with being poor I want to help. It's kinda on topic too due to the call for no Oracle cash.

Jason_M likes this.
  7. Azzamean

Azzamean Avatar

I'm not saying that is why the players leave. I am just reiterating that is what is happening. That is all. Another contributing factor.

8. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Its kinda funny lol... while some of those things listed are absolutely true in the game... most of them have been proven patently false in the real world by anyone outside of political parties.

9. Serafina

Serafina Portalarian Emeritus

This post devolved into a political discussion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.