1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

POLL: All Content Available in Offline Mode?

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jan 20, 2016.

?

Is it OK to allow access to ALL add ons and pledge rewards in Offline mode?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Look at how popular modding has been for games like the Elder Scrolls. Aside from letting players create single player offline scenarios, it would also be nice if it could be used to provide to let player place decorations / modifications to submit to the Devs? :D

2. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I repeated my Dev+ vote ->Yes - of course. Why should this disturb somebody? Nobody can see my Offline rewards. There is no connection between Offline and Online mode - it is as if I have all the rewards in Skyrim :)

3. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Voted yes. :)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  4. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

This is a wrong reason to do something good for offline folk.

5. Karuson

Karuson Avatar

Offline line mode will act like a different server I wont be amazed if some one hacks it there own server files, or comes with cheats.

Online mode everything should be saved on there end(Server Side). even if there's a copy of that save for faster loading on your comp, it has to match the server, if it don't server will rewrite the parts that where hacked.

I'm all for the everything in offline mode, It makes perfect sense. Your only playing by your self. Plus if they end up wanting to play online, they may want to upgrade there account for that one house they want, or addon store, what ever. Online mode it becomes a more of a competition, a role play. It means something, Rank, Status, Achievement. Granted Its a way for a rich person to show off there money in online mode, but for me, I just wanted to support the game. But that's also why there's a balance between what the rich can buy and what the poor can get from them with in game money. Its a real game when u have to work for it. Most players are selling there pledge items in online mode anyways, where they can. So in the end, it the same as eveything available in offline mode. They still have to work for it.

6. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Perhaps it is *wrong*. But then we all have opinions. Just expressing mine, not claiming to be right. That plus you missed this part - it's important in the context of what I said:

"To keep those who find this course of action objectionable, change the textures for offline. That might be a pain and take some time, but it seems like a win/win to me."

---> We aren't here to decide if I'm right or wrong, we're here to figure out whether to "...make ALL content available in Offline mode including ALL add on store items and pledge rewards."

Some people may have objections to this course of action, fearing that their pledge could be devalued. I don't share that concern, but I can understand it. So I made a simple suggestion to retexture things. I'm not trying to be right, I'm trying to offer up a suggestion that might be the middle ground and appease people who are unhappy with this whole idea and may accuse Portalarium of going back on their word to backers.

I for one voted *YES*.

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ah yes.. Unity.. um.. duh.. :oops::rolleyes:

Moiseyev Trueden and Ice Queen like this.
  8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

They used to accept asset submissions but if those assets aren't to exacting specifications the devs can spent just as much time fixing them as making them. They were at one point working on docs to provide us in helping to make specific assets they needed but that has apparently fallen by the wayside. Which is a shame.. I could've been a Duke by now. :p Should have made a major push to submit more when I had the chance. *sigh* Still, got a few things in so I can't complain. :)

9. frontalmonk

frontalmonk Avatar

Personally, I voted yes. This was my first vote on anything and actually this is my first post in the SotA forums. I backed this on kickstarter with the intention off the bat of playing it as a single player offline game, and I've completely avoided all the releases that have come out since. I want to be totally blown away. If this was an online game with all the stuff geared for online I wouldn't have wanted to back it in the first place.

10. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Seeing the results of the poll, I am pleased with this community once again.

11. Kytail

Kytail Avatar

Considering point#4 about hackers/cheats, I wholeheartedly agree that it would be best to just give everyone the stuff they paid for instantly and make the other stuff available by "normal" means in-game. If you don't, it is absolutely true that cheats will be developed to get them anyway.

Heck, for that matter, I fully expect people to hack-in their own Unity assets - just to make the game more interesting after they finish all the content.

When I brought the question up to my wife to solicit her feedback, she brought up a good point. If an Offline player decides to start play Online suddenly (e.g. ge/she suddenly finds out that his/her friends(s) are also playing the same game), he/she may actually be inclined to go buy the same item in the Add-On store - just so that they can have the item in Online mode too. Seems plausible enough to me.

12. quesse

quesse Avatar

I wanted to explain my YES vote.

As an original Kickstarter backer I had no reason to believe that there would be any items "not included" in the games release for any reason.

I intend to play offline only.

I feel this just follows up with what was originally promised.

13. Sargon

Sargon Avatar

My initial reaction was that I am ok with players being able to access MOST of the pledge rewards in offline mode. I was hesitant on things like a Duke crown or LotM crown that represent the status of high-level backers, but then I thought... "Why do I care if someone else is running around with a crown in their own single player game?"

So yes, I am ok with all items being available offline.

14. Rhodri

Rhodri Avatar

I can't comprehend why people would consider their pledge to be devalued. Not saying they can't feel that, just that it makes no sense to me. It's an exaggerated version of the same conceit as people who get upset that someone else wears the same dress to a party. Unless you paid the designer to make something that is globally unique to you (in which case if two were made, then you have a case for a fraud claim) then you have no reason to anticipate that no-one else may have it. You are not unique snowflakes people, no matter how much Mummy said so.

Why should it matter if someone else has addon content in their offline play? Doesn't impact on my offline world, doesn't impact my online play.
    Same reason I won't care if a mod is posted to Nexus that re-skins offline armour to look like an Iron Man suit or turns Gargoyles into Pokemon... not to my taste but whatever floats your boat.

15. garkham

garkham Avatar

Thanks to have posted a Kickstarter update about that.
    Since I will only play the game in solo mode, and only backed it for that, my answer is obviously yes. :)

Totally agree. For me it's the same that those Steam users saying that cheating in a solo game is devaluating the achievements. OK I just hate Steam from the bottom of my heart, but when I'm obliged to play with it and, let's say, an achievement is bugged, it's always a pleasure to open an achievement-manager and add it myself. I don't know why others would bother me with this, it's my own experience with the game I paid for ! xD

16. JediaKyrol

JediaKyrol Avatar

Another benefit would be that someone who has an interest in some of the store stuff, but isn't sure about it can earn it in offline mode, play around with it, and then decide whether or not they want to pay to have it in online.

17. Sleet

Sleet Avatar

Was offline mode going to be walled off from online mode even before this plan?

I've had a hard time getting SotA to run decently on my computer (I've only gotten one of those hats so far because I get less than ten frames per second and up to a second of input lag), and while I'm still hopeful that optimization will give me a smoother experience later on I'd still probably prefer to play offline most of the time, and only go online when I specifically want to interact with people.

18. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Offline mode has ALWAYS been firewalled from Online modes. This has never changed.

19. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

give it all to offline. all, i say. all.

20. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

This is such an obvious answer. YES

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.