1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

POLL: All Content Available in Offline Mode?

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jan 20, 2016.

?

Is it OK to allow access to ALL add ons and pledge rewards in Offline mode?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadoweaver

Shadoweaver Avatar

I am honestly surprised this is even an issue. I see 12 people have voted no so far but no one say why. I would be curious to hear why people have a problem with this.

2. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

If it helps, even during kickstarter it was specifically mentioned Offline/Online are completely separate (highlighted below).

At one point RG did an early video or interview where he said he wanted you to be able to go offline for short periods but that wasn't an official feature. You can read about that early interview here but keep in mind that's off the cuff remarks in an interview and it's oooooold as a look forward - though it's interesting to see planning vs implementing.

3. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

Also answered yes.
    Offline mode is a sandbox mode - everything should be available to experiment.
    Also it might be an incentive to upgrade pledges/get add on items - the more money the better.
    And last not least I have a benefit too - I am not on LOTM level nor do I own all add on items....

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I would add that this feature is also not the same as single player offline which was always going to be a separate mode of play.

Lord Andernut likes this.
  5. foboman

foboman Avatar

I voted yes.

Mainly because when I backed the game I was aiming at the offline game in the first place.

I have no interest in online games.

6. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I'm so curious about the reasons of who voted "No". And know their pledge level. But mostly reasons.

Also, welcome to all lurkers and firstposters! Hope you all will enjoy the ride.

Sir Cabirus, Duchess Fionwyn and Mata like this.
  7. sporic

sporic Avatar

Without a doubt, YES
    Not playing online here, only bought to play offline

8. Balron

Balron Avatar

I personally wont have as much time to be able to play on the online mode, and so most of the rewards that I already receive for my kickstarter contribution will go unused. This allows me to be a king of my fiefdom and that is all I am asking haha

9. vernalex

vernalex Avatar

I'd want them in the game as long as they can fit into the game.

Personally though I am not much hoping for online play. I've had my fill of MMORPGs, especially 3D ones. What I'm really hoping for is a successor to Ultima 7. Ultima 8 and Ultima 9 were fun, but they didn't feel like complete games, nor did they quite feel like Ultima games.

Online play is somewhat interesting but I don't like playing with random strangers. Too many cheaters. Too many griefers. I want a game where it doesn't feel like real life. Where I don't need to grind levels or take up a new life as a shoe peddler. It'd be nice to be able to do a small coop game or such with close friends though. If there's online play I'd want it to feel like UO did originally - total chaos, but again that wasn't much of an Ultima either.

Miracle Dragon and Gadfrey Zukes like this.
  10. EclipseMaiden

EclipseMaiden Avatar

I say Hell to the Yes! Now in offline mode I can be the Queen I was born to be!!!

Elwyn, Peabo, Duchess Fionwyn and 4 others like this.
  11. Taylor

Taylor Avatar

12. The One True Nobody

The One True Nobody Avatar

In offline mode, people would just hack/mod the items if they couldn't get them normally anyway, so it's really not much of a problem to give players a means of acquiring them within the game itself. The offline mode is also the mode players are going to be stuck with (exclusively) twenty years down the line when the online isn't viable anymore; those players won't have been around to back the game and receive rewards, so giving them a means of obtaining everything in the game would certainly be doing a good turn for future players who might end up viewing Shroud of the Avatar the same way gamers of my own generation tend to see the Ultima series now.

13. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Avatar

I just hope this doesn't make it easier for hackers to make an online version of SOTA server model with all the houses unlocked and tax free.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  14. TEK1

TEK1 Avatar

I feel like this is sorta a non-announcement. This would only be relevant announcement if it was stated that all assets in the pledges, addon store and stretch goals were not made available offline.

The main concern is the worry that offline and online features that many backers had looked forward to are being cancelled or abandoned for X and Y reasons. Not sure if this announcement is relevant to alleviating those concerns.

Xandra7 and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  15. Sleet

Sleet Avatar

Thanks! It's been quite a while since the Kickstarter and it can be hard to keep track of what games had what intentions/goals/promises sometimes.

That definitely wouldn't have been a deciding factor for me at the time, before I found out that my system just doesn't get along well with SotA. Fingers crossed that it won't be a problem at all for me soon!

Duchess Fionwyn likes this.
  16. The One True Nobody

The One True Nobody Avatar

It wouldn't affect the servers on which the actual game runs, so fie to that. People can go have fun playing the game with all of the point removed somewhere else, it's got nothin' to do with us.

17. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

for anyone who voted no, if you are not wanting to come forward publically, but want your reasons known - i'll be happy to be 'that guy' and post your reasons here for you, as if "player A, player B, etc"
    just shoot me a PM with your reasons, and i'll simply thank you (no need for debates, yknow?), then make sure identifiable info is scrubbed, and post it.

personally, i believe it may be really important for the devs to know WHY the answers were no, regardless of how they move forward.

18. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

There was someone that felt that the house and plot perks of higher pledges were a motivation to upgrade even if just playing in offline mode. Apparently that was the motivation / interpretation of it. I hope I said that correctly.

Katrina Bekers and ThurisazSheol like this.
  19. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

As pointed out, an offline character is intentionally kept separate from the SotA servers, so it can never be used for online play.

I won't deny people their opinions, but it seems petty and covetous to vote "No". It will neither remove their cool online stuff, or even be in competition.

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  20. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I will say what I said befire, this shouldn't even be a question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.