1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

POLL: All Content Available in Offline Mode?

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jan 20, 2016.

?

Is it OK to allow access to ALL add ons and pledge rewards in Offline mode?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. habardeen

habardeen Avatar

I am a silent Dev+ backer (I lurk mostly due to lack of time unfortunately), and I am totally in favor to open up all the contents for single player.

Heck, I would be in favor to open it up in online play as well for a lot of good reasons (mostly because I paid what I paid for Funding Sota and make it as rich and as good as possible, NOT to boost my epeen).

Anyway! This, I am sure, it will improve the trust between the non-backers and the -amazing- dev team that suffered, in my opinion unjustly, a backlash from the reward policies due to potential players frustrations.

By doing this Sota will catch two birds with a stone: enrich the single player experience for everybody (even for non top-tier backers!) and tone down the gratuitous and even provocative opinions of many naysayers.

Big up!

2. Gretchelle

Gretchelle Avatar

Okay... I'll admit. I voted 'NO'. The only reason I voted 'no' is because I love multi-player mmo's. And I do not want to lose the multi-player feel of the game. If everyone gets to play with bigger and better toys in the single player mode where they couldn't before in the multi-player mode, wouldn't that just entice players to play more often in the single mode thus loosing the multi-player feel of the game. This is just a personal concern and I could be wrong. I can only hope that the game is such a huge success that playing either mode will not make a difference or impact of one another.

3. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I think you're mistaking Single Player ONLINE and Single Player OFFLINE.

Two totally different beasts, unfortunately named so similarly that they are confused often.

4. Gridian

Gridian Avatar

Don't fear, That will not happen. In the contrary actually - there are many who will only or at least with great preferance play single player games. People who like multiplayer games will not forsake that just for the shinies - a part of multiplayer gameplay is the collecting and comparing of your stuff after all.

This way, I think that some single player guys may feel like trying multiplayer after having enjoyed the single player experience, knowing that they can go back to it at any time. It will spice up multiplayer, you'll see :)

Yours,

Gridian

5. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

To the burning stakeee! :D

I'm very, very glad you made the effort to write, and I respect your stance. I will try and debate each point, BUT rest assured I don't want to change your opinion at all. I'm ok with your NO, and with your reasons. I want a very healthy dialog out of this. If I even step out of the line, feel free to whack me to a Slime pulp anytime, deal?
    Well, I agree. But the devil is in details:

a) Doing something ONLY because hackers...
    b) Doing something ALSO because hackers...

I agree 100% with a), I agree 50% with b).
    It might -- and it will. But it's damn good ammo as good-will showoff to nudge the undecided. The true die-hard naysayers will still call gloom and doom NO MATTER WHAT. It's not a good demographic to waste time on.
    I still remind everyone that having the chance to eventually buy/craft something ingame, and having it right off the bat as pledge reward present in bank at day 0 are two hugely different things.

Depending on implementation (they must be extremely careful with this), it may mean that a castle deed, for all practical intents and purposes MAY be still de facto exclusive of LotM. If the price tag for it will be one billion gold coins, to me it's just as being actually exclusive to high pledgers.
    Having read about the various player views with regard to "exclusive" in the wording, I may think that there are people who implied the most diverse range of meanings. Some things make sense online only - where they are exclusive. Physical perks are still exclusive. Some always implied that exclusivity was to be intended only online.

Otoh, I see this point as a very good one: with enough feedback, devs are ready to change their course, listening to the players, and evolve their project according to their playerbase. I'm nowhere near a high pledger, but I'd be satisfied with this openness and mental aperture, should I be a Lord of the Manor.
    Yes. Indeed.

It remains to be seen how this loss of "verticality" (high pledges) is compensated with increased "horizontality" (more boxes sold). I'm glad I don't need to run my math on them! :D
    Of course. Forum demographics and all that.

But I've been pleasantly surprised by the healthy bunch of firstposters and offliners chiming in. That's something I loved to see.
    Me too.

And also pledge level.

As of now, this poll is basically "do you want to access some more free stuff in one of the game modes?". Everyone but LotMs has something to gain from a "yes". Even more so now that the poll is open to pledges below Developer. The skew in results is largely expected.

Thanks for your writing. Insightful and interesting.

6. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Gta online is good example. Despite, having hackers messing up the fun, people still find the way to enjoy both offline and online experience. These two modes are comepletely separated as well. So it is doable.

7. Shadow of Light Dragon

Shadow of Light Dragon Avatar

I don't personally care about the cash shop items, and even the pledge rewards are prestige items to show-off in MP, but I'm voting yes because there's no good reason not to. Why rain on someone else's SP parade?

However, I see this more as a sensible gesture than a powerful one, and there's no way it's going to stop the negative perception of the cash shop on its own accord.

8. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I was thinking, is this gesture a way to "Add" stuff to make singleplayer have a different feature?

9. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

if they have plans to (hopefully) release the capability to mod via LUA (lua is already in, but not available to US at this time) at our leisure, i'm certain it will not be until the game is to THEIR liking first.

4EverLost likes this.
  10. Andrew Rodrick

Andrew Rodrick Avatar

A resounding YES from me, I don't mind players being able to obtain everything offline if it makes the game better which in the case of offline mode I believe it will.

11. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I would rather have people buy the game just to play offline and maybe at some point they may try online. All these pledges and add-ons to me are just some goodies I get from helping out with the development. I do not see it as my virtual exclusive properties at this point.

If one were to sell game as $45 and require people to pay money to get more content for single offline mode, no one will want to buy the game unless it's really the state of the art that one would die playing. Even an awesome game like Crusader Kings II still get crap from prospect buyers when they see the total cost of getting all DLCs.

12. Dhanan

Dhanan Avatar

I can't think of a single good reason for why I'd vote no. ^-^

13. SamRothstein

SamRothstein Avatar

I wanted to vote "I dont care" but it wasn't an option.

Not trolling, but it makes no difference. This is an MMORPG all the way for me.

14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

It is for a lot of people I think....weird that it originally wasn't.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  15. SamRothstein

SamRothstein Avatar

I'm a pretty recent convert, and every site that gives it coverage is an MMORPG site. So i think most people are probably going to view it that way. I would sort of surprised if any of the major gaming sites even review it as a single player game. (IGN, PcGamer, Gamespot etc.)

16. redfish

redfish Avatar

Ffft. Its semantics. I think the game was originally planned as an online game --offline was an afterthought. The thing always in question was the "massively multiplayer" part; they wanted to sell it as "selective multiplayer," similar to how you can select the people you chat with on social media sites.

17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

That's probably a good thing for this game.

18. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I agree with you on this as well. That's twice in as many minutes!

And this feeling is compounded by Richard Garriot's insistence early on in the development cycle that he was "certain almost all players would choose the online version instead of the offline version".

Personally, I want my Ultima without a side of other players' cluttered lawns.

19. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

You see that at all so far?

20. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

:D
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.