1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

POLL: All Content Available in Offline Mode?

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jan 20, 2016.

?

Is it OK to allow access to ALL add ons and pledge rewards in Offline mode?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

I think if they paid more attention to single-player fans grievances about immersion in single-player online it wouldn't be driving some people to want to play the game offline instead.

2. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I guess we didn't say enough.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Maybe people should have made it clearer that it would drive them away from the online game and help split the player base (which isn't good).

At any rate, I hope they start paying attention to the complaints now that its becoming clear.

4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

A lot of those threads got closed.

5. Inkub0

Inkub0 Avatar

My two pence: Maybe splitting the community in two is not that bad, we'll keep the antisocials away... Just kidding. :D

I voted yes but at the condition that the big lots and castles must be earned with hours and hours of gameplay.

Duchess Fionwyn likes this.
  6. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Inkub0,

I think more antisocials will be playing online than offline, and the offline players will be wanting to stay away from the antisocials ! :D

But yea... btw... If people are going to get crowns and castles offline, it would actually make more sense to me if their titles and properties were earned through the plot rather than just bought with gold. Buying a crown and castle is a bit weird :)

7. Turin2

Turin2 Avatar

I have 5k in and my greatest concern is someone will feel I bought a advantage over them. That's not what I want. I like the nick nacks, their cool, but I don't want anyone to feel its pay to play outside of the basic costs for the game. Something like Elf Armor I would really love to craft and sell which would make it available to others, but perhaps make purchase of some recipes only through add on store, while buying crafted items from players would be acceptable.

8. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

YES

kabalyero likes this.
  9. Lexcalibur

Lexcalibur Avatar

I don't really care either way, but voted NO because I do not want the developers wasting any time on making the items craftable. Just put them all on a special vendor and be done with it please.

3devious and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Funny, I had that same idea about wasting time on things....

3devious and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  11. Lexcalibur

Lexcalibur Avatar

If you add up all the hats, cloaks, costumes, weapons, armor, prosperity items etc. you would probably have at least 100 new items, each one requiring a unique recipe. How many unique recipes for hats alone are needed? Can it even be done without adding new ingredients?

12. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I can respect that. But I also believe the developers know more about game development than everyone on this forum put together. Or at the very least, they understand the choices they are making, the cost, the pros and the cons, and by the time they posted a poll like this, or any threads ..., they have already chosen what they want to do. It is not just a statement about this thread, but what I have been reading in 100% of the developer started threads.

I am as guilty as anyone for wanting the developers not to waste time on non-essential activities since they are years behind schedule, from KS "Early Bird Alpha + Beta Access (estimated Alpha delivery in December 2013)!", we cannot help but to try to shut each other up (hence this post :( ). At the same time, this is a real problem that we in the community are responsible for and need to try to stop doing it. Port runs the show, if any of us don't like it, then it is simply a case of backing the wrong horse. However, if we can get out of their way and let them release this thing, it could end up better than anyone expected.

Having and sharing an opinion is good, but once they decided, the debate should be over. Complain once, ok, complain twice, find someplace else to vent. Convincing someone else that you are justified in complaining because they do not agree is unconstructive and is like using a blowtorch on a rock.

Also, stop tagging the developers in the middle of arguments. That just makes them either waste more time or stop listening to us. Either way, we lose.

13. Shadow of Light Dragon

Shadow of Light Dragon Avatar

I don't doubt it'll be lauded as an SP feature, but I'd be surprised if that was the only reason they announced it.

HoustonDragon likes this.
  14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Not the only reason for sure....but part of the reason....Darkstar did correct me and say they sort of mentioned this before....

15. Shadow of Light Dragon

Shadow of Light Dragon Avatar

This is an interesting point I wanted to comment on.

I backed at a housing Dev+ level with the expectation that if I enjoyed Single Player (which I was most interested in) I might later join friends in MP. As far as the housing was concerned, I had absolutely zero intent of using it in SP beyond maybe half an hour of fluffing around before getting bored and going back to the story. Since I've always seen housing as an MMO gimmick anyway, I have no qualms or regrets about allowing lower tier backers accessing housing or any of the other ingame stuff in SP mode.

BUT I am very interested to hear if any other Dev+ backers who have little-to-no interest in the MMO part of the game would feel cheated by this change.

Kara Brae, 4EverLost, Tahru and 3 others like this.
  16. niteowl57

niteowl57 Avatar

Ditto

17. niteowl57

niteowl57 Avatar

I agree this could be considered provided it's low hanging fruit, but if done, would propose two pledge houses be the opposite. I would propose giving the Citizen and Edelmann Pledge Reward houses some love on the interior walls and send the current versions offline (am I evil?) I've tried several times to love my pledge reward houses, but every time I tried living in them, I felt like the Edelmann interior had seen better days, and that someone had done a poor job trying to repaint the interior of the Citizen house with Pepto-Bismol. But this worked in the games favor--I simply purchased a nicer home from the add-on store. If some texture work is to be done, IMO a fresh coat of interior "paint" for these two homes would help a great deal. Even if no textures are changed, my vote is still yes; I was only making a suggestion.

4EverLost and Duchess Fionwyn like this.
  18. jorlinn

jorlinn Avatar

Yes! This somewhat restores my hopes for your game. My next question would be: When will you be able to release an offline, DRM-free version of the game for Linux?

19. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

The game client is already available in Linux, so I assume the offline version will come at the same time with other platform.

If you sign up and buy from them directly instead of through Steam, that should already be the DRM free version.

Alley Oop likes this.
  20. 3devious

3devious Avatar

My vote is still no. I know you're going to do what you want anyway. If I really cared that much, I would have tried to sell my pledge again. (You're not going to trick me into buying another pledge a tier up when you realize that you've made a terrible mistake and fixed it.) I care as much about my No vote as I said I did on Dev+ but because I care about this community more than my laziness of voting No and being done with it I'll spend at tiny bit of effort to explain my opinion:
    It is my opinion that people wanting that content should pay more for it. If Portalarium decides to make it free I would be very disappointed because they devalue the efforts of the whole team. I appreciate the development efforts of everyone who worked to make any of that additional content work in the game. Even the hackers and modding community will at least have sweat equity in the effort. If folks want that extra content made available to them, they should put in a little extra even if it is a dollar. I don't really feel that people should play lots of money (or even more than a stingy *&$# like me pledged) but I would like for Portalarium to tell people that this extra stuff has some value! I'll spare you my usual rant about artists and devs working for free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.