(poll) Combat Deck System [UNOFFICIAL]

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Brass Knuckles, Nov 28, 2014.

?

Tradition skill tree vs Deck system

1. 1. I like the concept of the deck system and want to see it threw.

57.5%
  2. 2. I like traditional skill trees /w skill point and static buttons

42.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Uhm...
    o_O

Why the bad attitude @Heavy Smoker, there is no need for the aggressive attitude nor language. There are three PvPrs in the dev team, the whole order of vengeance is PvP oriented and have had several sit downs etc with the dev team.

Then you are using contradicting arguments. One of these can be right, but not both:
    A) Locked Deck > Random deck, for PvP
    B) Locked deck is gimped for PvP
    If A is true, then B cannot be true. If B is true, then A cannot be true.

Or are you trying to say that you think Random decks are better for PvE and Locked decks are better for PvP? So PvPrs will leave SotA because they will be less skilled at PvE?

2. Heavy Smoker

Heavy Smoker Avatar

Not bad attitude I just put things how I see it, I don't care to discuss it any further I've pvp'd on many games for years and years mainly UO, I know what is best for pvp. Take my comments how you wish, but I also pledged to this game to have an opinion on these subjects.

Walkerhart and Joviex like this.
  3. Olddog

Olddog Avatar

I'd prefer the old uo style setup as well, but would settle for this it's ok. I think you should get a proficiency bonus like mention though.

Heavy Smoker likes this.
  4. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

I am turned off by this deck system. I can list my reasons, but at the end of the day people reading this are either for it or against it. My main advice to improve it is to get rid of the focus penalty on locking cards. That would reform the negativity on a lot of potential and current players. The penalty is not fun and shouldn't be part of a game that is supposed to be fun. It is used to hold the people who don't want to use the deck system hostage. Let the player decide, without penalty, if they want to stare at blocks of user interface instead of what is actually going on in game or play a more traditional way.

5. Heavy Smoker

Heavy Smoker Avatar

I know I said I'm done debating but I would also like to see a setup style of UO type spells that a mage could pick through, there was 64 spells to choose from on Ultima Online. There are like 4 spells to choose from here, I know it's pre alpha I'm just hoping that it becomes much more.

Walkerhart and Joviex like this.
  6. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

despite the issues the deck system presents, the pvp is quite fun, even as a mage facing full plate I had fun, us mages just had to gang up on the plate and and root it to death lol, I find the mage vs mage and melee vs melee combats quite engaging as well.

theres going to be a game of Tag sunday in Kingsport, I highly recommend anyone interested in pvp attend as its not only a lot of fun but great pvp work, I doubt the lot of us would have spent 5 hours griefing each other if it wernt lol

7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

If you think that you don't have a bad attitude then you should check a dictionary for retarded, there are plenty off inoffensive ways to say you don't like something. That is simply not one of them.

And I don't think that anyone can on their own claim to know what is best for anything without consulting others.
    If a majority of PvPrs were to say they prefer Random or a Hybrid decks, would you still claim to know what is best for them?

8. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

Uhhm, i fail to see the increased focus cost of the locked deck as a penalty to punish people. The rotation deck system is a particular interpretation from Portalarium about how a fight is resolved in real life. They understand that a number of people (nondeterminate at the moment) don't agree with this interpretation or simply isn't fun for them. They are (ATM) choosing to deliver the releases with the option of not use the system (Dallas mode or locked mode) and they obviously need to balance the different experiences. So, are they punishing players for using the locked system or are they balancing two different experiences? My take is to use the balance concept over the punish concept.

9. Heavy Smoker

Heavy Smoker Avatar

Thats not going to happen. The only people that prefer a random deck is those whos main focus is PvM.. No competitive pvper is going to like a system randomly telling you what spells you can and can not use on the field, especially when you have a warrior chasing you that once he gets close enough your getting hit for over 50% of your life each hit. It's just to crazy to focus on randomly hitting buttons, when you can remember combos and different tactics to get out of different situations. I want to focus on the gameplay, I don't want all of my attention on a set of cards popping up on the bottom of my screen at random to be able to compete in pvp.

Walkerhart likes this.
  10. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

If you know this for a fact then what is the point of asking for a poll on a topic that has been debated over and over again in 50 other posts? i know many PPvPer who either like the deck or like myself still mostly undecided.

Akro and Sophi like this.
  11. Heavy Smoker

Heavy Smoker Avatar

I didn't make the poll...

Walkerhart likes this.
  12. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

But yet you are here telling everyone what they feel about the topic

Cordelayne and Akro like this.
  13. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

What a "competitive PvPr" will do is use what is best, not what is the easiest.
    If you are correct in your statements above then you should have no issues at all with the Random system, this since you should have an advantage over all who use it.

A tip regarding number of spells in the quickbar is to have two+ decks with quick switch, it doubles+ the ones available. I've seen a PvP player using that to great effect. He was even having extra dual decks for different types of opponents. (Yes he was high level on low level it wouldn't work).

14. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I don't want SotA to be a clone of other games. The system needs tweaks but I like it so far. And I like that you can go with a locked bar and effectively have a more traditional system if you want.

15. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I like the card system, but hate the fact my attention is always on the card gump rather than on the fight.

In another thread, I suggested a fix for this, but since it is a little complicated, there was no response.

Given, the mouse or number pad being used to select the move, wasd being used for movement:
    The deck draw is constantly changing, so the assignment of a particular move to a number key is changing constantly too. This causes you to have to interpret which finger to use to press the corresponding number key, or if using the mouse to mouse over the gump. Meanwhile your opponent is moving and you cannot react properly.

My solution is to have another gump. This might be blank gumps numbered 1 to whatever. Now, before combat, you reserve your blank gumps to hold only the moves you want. In this example, let's say 1 would be whirling blades and 2 would be Thrust.
    Now when you get into combat, the standard deck starts dealing cards. Whenever a thrust populates the standard gump, it would also appear at spot 2 in your designed gump. This allows you to always use the number key 2 to Thrust. The number key 2 would only deliver a thrust if the associated gump is on the hand dealt. You would not have to look down to see where and what position because at the same time it was dealt it would appear on the number 2 gump. Peripheral vision would be sufficient to tell you that the move was available, and you would not have to make a decision as to what number to push, as thrust is always 2.

cartodude and Akro like this.
  16. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

You seem overly aggressive here...not helpful at all.

I don't think the whole game should be balanced on PVP at all, that tends to ruin a lot of games.

Sunswords, Joviex, Sebastion and 2 others like this.
  17. cariac

cariac Avatar

I just wan full pvp and full loot option ! No more !

Merci.

Walkerhart and na0cho like this.
  18. Heavy Smoker

Heavy Smoker Avatar

Not everyone is about role playing bud, I'm sorry you don't know anything about the subject I'm speaking about "PvP".

19. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Sure....you seem very knowledgable on it...pleasent too...did I mention that?

There is a lot more then just roleplaying in games, you don't seem to realize that. I don't want to see balancing done all the time to skills to "enhance" pvp...that happens in way to many games.

20. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

For the record I would like to encourage debate on this, and not have arguments about people and play style. If you have legitimate value to add please post. Thank you !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.