(poll) Combat Deck System [UNOFFICIAL]

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Brass Knuckles, Nov 28, 2014.

?

Tradition skill tree vs Deck system

1. 1. I like the concept of the deck system and want to see it threw.

57.5%
  2. 2. I like traditional skill trees /w skill point and static buttons

42.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wyrcan

wyrcan Avatar

I think they should continue to do the split setup, and should allow those who choose the old style the ability to reduce the 50% penalties with some skill tree (or is it already there and I have missed it)?
    I am trying the deck but admit that I'm looking a the bottom of the screen far too often...

2. Town-Portal

Town-Portal Avatar

That is actually a very good point also, when using the random deck system, you spend FAR to long looking at the bar, instead of the world around you, that is, imo, very very troublesome... and a bad game design.
    I really hope everyone can see that, i like the idea behind the deck system, but it should not take your eyes away from the game 100% of the time.

If the deck was random, and you could lock in the glyphs/combos you wanted when they came on, and keep it there forever, until you discarded it, that would actually work ok for me.

Let me try and explain it better.

The deck starts out random, you do your thing normal, upgrade glyphs, and when you decide to lock down said glyph/combo, it will stay there, with an added cooldown on usage, just like a normal locked deck would have. You can keep getting random cards the places you have not locked down glyphs, but if you have locked down your whole hand, you will not be getting any random glyphs until you discard some of the locked ones.

This way would work alot better for the immersion, you only have to look at the hand/deck/glyphs while building it.

With this system, you could also make it discard your whole hand after each combat (out of combat, resets hand, start over in next fight)... one could say that this would be the exact same was as the random deck, but in longer fights, or while you kept yourself in combat, you would have a static/locked deck, and fight with that.

To expand on that, you could maybe purchase a passive glyph/skill, that would extend the seconds you could stay out of combat, before the hand discards/resets.

This way you would be able to use combos with a locked deck also. And using upgraded versions of said glyphs also.

3. Sky_walker

Sky_walker Avatar

I sort-of like the Deck system, however:

1) GUI needs work
    2) Wording needs work.
    They need to use standard terms typical to MMOs. All these unique wording in SotA needlessly increases learning curve and an entry point to the game with next to no benefits, especially when we're talking here about wording related purely to the game mechanics themselves (I am fine with portals being called Lunar Rifts, especially with some nice lore behind it, but there's plenty of things that are renamed for absolutely no reason other than trying to be original).

4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

This is actually quite untrue.
    this is untrue.
    I've showed you that you have contradicted yourself, how your argument was self defeating, that there are PvP devs, that there are PvPrs using the random system, that if you are correct you are not punished but rather rewarded by the locked system.

That you are not here to make friends is obvious but you are here because you want specific changes to the game. So my question then to you: do you realize that your behavior in this topic is completely counter productive if you want change in the product?
    So far in this topic you have managed to:
    Insult the devs
    Insult the community
    Insult the handicapped and their kin and friends
    Insult anyone who has responded to you in this topic
    Insult PvPrs who like the deck system
    Etc
    So let's see what you hope to accomplish by doing that?
    The devs won't listen to you. The community will not champion your views. The people responding to you will start to avoid you. People in General will start to ignore you.
    Etc.
    I fail to grasp how you can see this as "winning" the debate with "facts"?

I noticed you and your tactics in Owl's Head, is that what you consider competitive PvP? If so I'd disagree with that to. Attacking PvP flagged people from behind at a spawn point isn't really showing any competitive skill, especially if one uses the exit to retreat as soon as things go bad.

Me I have no specific problem with you personally, I'm just curious how you think you will make any progress doing what you do?

Sophi, Aegis159, Sunswords and 8 others like this.
  5. cmorris975

cmorris975 Avatar

The deck system is great. I look forward to playing around with it for a long time to come.

6. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

This .......

7. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i use the hybrid setup and i do not feel that i'm looking too long at the bar. less than usual actually.

But there's always room for improvement. how about mouse gestures to indicate hotbar buttons, that can be done anywhere on the screen?

first, is a heatmap of mouse clicks on the screen, over a 5 hour play period. you'll notice that very few are actually on the bar itself, while in other areas of the screen happen much more frequently. i suspect clicking on a mob occurs much more often.
    another thing of note: i do use a gaming mouse and use several thumb buttons on the hotbar, but not all of them.
    [​IMG]
    Second, is a heatmap (?) of mouse movements
    the solid dots indicate mouse hover zones. the larger the dot, the more often, and/or more time spent, hovering in that zone.
    note: bottom right quadrant you'll see a lot of movement to the edge - i have 2 monitors, and use the left one for the game.
    [​IMG]

Spoon and Moonshadow like this.
  8. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Wow, that was a pretty impressive post. I didn't even know about heat mapping.

9. smack

smack Avatar

Razer Synapse offers this with their products -- there's a similar one to show keyboard heatmaps too :)
    http://www.razerzone.com/synapse/stats

10. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

SotA's combat system? You can't improve nonsense... the randomness? Hotbars? Unable to swing my own sword? Unable to target a spell etc at a non-combat designated target? The locked penalties? Waiting for timers? etc'. What a load of rubbish.

If it were up to me, I'd rip the combat system out and have it remade (properly this time).

11. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Greetings Avatars! I just wanted to take a short moment this weekend to pop in here and remind everyone to abide by the forum rules. There are to be no derogatory terms used, per the rules.

If your post was removed and you did not receive a personal message from me, it is because it contained a moderated quote. Consider this your notification.

Joviex, Moonshadow and Duke Raas like this.
  12. King Dane

King Dane Avatar

I like the concept of the current combat system, and would like to see it through, however I also am a fan of UO's hotkey/countercasting system. Ideally, I'd like the current combat system to remain, but to require me to pay attention to my opponent's combat decisions (both in PvP and in PvE) and to allow me the visual freedom to observe the battle without focusing on bars, gumps, and my keyboard. Saying what I'd like to see is easy enough, but describing how to make it happen is unfortunately beyond the breadth of this post.

Heavy Smoker and Moonshadow like this.
  13. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Punishing people for using the locked deck is ridiculous. It is obviously a feeble attempt at making locked seem inferior.

But the random/locked deck aside, why it is even a deck? Why is it a few skills on a hotbar? Why is it so limiting? Why don't we have access to all learned skills/spells? There was SO MUCH more they could have done. SotA's combat could have been so great.

Heavy Smoker likes this.
  14. Town-Portal

Town-Portal Avatar

Well, that is awesome you can do that.
    To make combos all the time, and upgrade glyphs, i have to use 90% of my time looking at my hand/glyphs.
    It is simply not fun. :(
    I would much rather look at the gameworld itself.

15. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

yeah, I'm jsut not interested in stacking and combos..i'm more of a traditioanlist in that respect, so it works well for me.

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  16. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

I have found that for pvp, random deck is more worthwhile because of the saving in focus, however for PvE i believe locked decks are where it's at because it doesn't take much thought to memorize your favorite skills to use with which situation. For situational hazards I think locked is the way to go.

17. Town-Portal

Town-Portal Avatar

That kinda ruins the whole point of hybrid? Or am i missing something... still pretty new here.

ThurisazSheol likes this.
  18. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

for me it doesn't. i like having my heals and an AOE static while my combat skills not. there's a LOT of combat skills, after all. call me odd..it works for me. :)

19. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Who knows

20. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I don't think this vote really represents any results that are relevant, unfortunantly. My vote would have been:

3. I want to see the Card deck continued and have more added to it so that it is larger in scope and more meaningful.

Kaisa, King Dane, Joviex and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.