(poll) Combat Deck System [UNOFFICIAL]

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Brass Knuckles, Nov 28, 2014.

?

Tradition skill tree vs Deck system

1. 1. I like the concept of the deck system and want to see it threw.

57.5%
  2. 2. I like traditional skill trees /w skill point and static buttons

42.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Town-Portal

Town-Portal Avatar

Not calling you odd at all :)
    Was just wondering... i guess my healer is a hybrid also, i prefer to have ress and purify locked, but to be able to upgrade my heal glyphs.

ThurisazSheol likes this.
  2. Sunswords

Sunswords Avatar

I agree with this completely (PvP balancing ruins the game) - I speak from experience of Guild Wars 2. Prior to splitting skill balancing in PvP and PvE, everything was one huge messy lump that was veering from one end to the other. Only later when they introduced separate skill balancing did some sanity get restored.

3. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

Yeah, since I'm not a full healer, i dont have res or purify, but it certainly makes sense to have those utilities available moreso than the heals.

I was toying with going full heal spec, to see if the combo stacks would work better locked. Tried that yet?

tekkamansoul likes this.
  4. Town-Portal

Town-Portal Avatar

You cannot combo when using a fully locked deck, you can only combo when you get random cards thrown at you.

I am full healer atm, and with my whole hand locked, it works fine, but you wont be able to upgrade glyphs then, which gives a fair amount of better healing. That is why i use hybrid for heals. To upgrade them and then use.

This is just my testing, i am still fairly new...

blaquerogue likes this.
  5. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

met someone tonight who was a dedicated healer. their utilities were locked but all their heals were randomized. so far, they were the best healer in that dungeon for all the runs i've done. i was impressed - even when the liches kept respawning repeatedly

Keira OFaolain likes this.
  6. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

I play a dedicated healer and have all my heals in deck except one locked glyph of ray and touch which I only use when I absolutely need them but they aren't otherwise available at that moment.

Still hating having to constantly rearrange and wrangle my hotbar though. That would be a lot more fun in a turn based game and not one where I have to potentially be running from monsters at the same time.

7. Town-Portal

Town-Portal Avatar

Thats how i do it also, have not tried much grouping though, i just go around healing young people in need... :)

ThurisazSheol and Duke Raas like this.
  8. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

If you are in at 7pm cst, and interested in trying a group dungeon with some folk, in braemar cemetary. We usually make 1 or 2 runs a night. Bayridge set it up and is a great crawler leader.

9. Town-Portal

Town-Portal Avatar

Thats just next to my house, how convenient, hehe.
    I have a dragonbone throne outside, and all crafting tables... :)

I live in Europe, so i will try figure out the time... thanks!

10. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Well I can only speak to my experience so far but here's my opinion.

I have been doing deck combat since they launched it. Have to say random skills popping up is not realistic and kills strategy. I tried and tried and no matter how I setup my deck it always ended up just a button mash. I'm constantly watching the bar waiting for anything useful to come up then hitting it as soon as I can. Very frustrating and in my opinion no fun at all.

11. joshthewimp

joshthewimp Avatar

You do not wait for something useful to come up, you discard useless runes and and get something useful. :)

Keira OFaolain and Duke Raas like this.
  12. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Why is there no option to vote for "none of the above"?

13. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

again, button mashing from hell. Not fun. For instance, I have a spell with a long cast time. So I need a stun or knockdown, mash buttons until one comes up and by then the spell has cycled away.....weeeeeee

14. Jabatox

Jabatox Avatar

That all seems a bit juvenile. If they wanted to made UO 2.0 they would have done so and been promptly sued by EA for it. So far your argument is that you don't like it because "other retarded trammies like it" and because you have to wait a few seconds to use your skills because you apparently go into war-mode a half second into battle. There are emulator out there, you know, that cater to people who want to relive the UO experience.

I think the deck system is new and fresh look at combat in MMOs. I haven't seen it in any other game I can think of, so I am willing to give it a shot. I'd rather not see the typical hotbar because it will lead to the min/max mage/fighter skill time sync scenario. If you are such a UO advent then you know what I'm talking about. Having the rotating deck system allows more a more varied and diverse set of circumstances because people wont be pigeon holed into the, "Well, if I want to be effective at anything then I guess I have to be a tank mage..." mantra that was so boring in UO. Why cant I carry a spear into combat and be effective? Why the hell can't an archer be good at PVP? I'd like to see more diversity in combat, and I think the rotating deck system helps do that.

I'd suggest giving it time to work itself out, this isn't even beta yet so what are you so indignant about?

15. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

Welcome to the community Jabatox and very well said. :)

16. joshthewimp

joshthewimp Avatar

Build a hybrid deck with one or two of your five stunrunes in locked slots and you are good to go. You wont be spamming stuns and roots anyway so the cooldown and focuscosts should be ok.

Comming from Age of Conan the decksystem is a lot of fun for me. The only thing it might need is a full customization of the bottom bar. Let us drag the single slots and our life/focusbar where we want them on screen and we can easily watch the fight plus our available toolset.

So far I really like the hybrid between pianoplaying and chess.

17. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Why bother? If I lock runes then I might as well just use the old fashion hotcut bar. The point is the deck system should be usable as is, but it's not. It's a random mess of mashable buttons.

Heavy Smoker likes this.
  18. joshthewimp

joshthewimp Avatar

The "random mess" a nice combination of tactical planning and reaction. The possibility to lock as many runes as you want adds up to this. You have some runes locked as oh **** buttons which come at the cost of a high cooldown and higher focus costs. It gives the player the choice of what he/she wants. Sure it might need higher flexibility when it comes to button presentation on the screen but the thought behind it seems like a consequent further development of the combat system age of conan had to offer which I really liked. Lets be honest here, the traditional combat of games like world of warcraft is just boring and ends in nothing else like exchanging cooldowns. The harder the system is to master, the higher the possibility of skill mattering over class, which is a very good thing. I am a noob myself but I am really enjoying the challenge the current decksystem has to offer.

19. Borg

Borg Avatar

I cant see how a Locked Deck user could have a chance in PVP. I played both Locked and Dynamic and tbh Dynamic Deck is a gun machine compared to Locked.

Locked Deck penalties:
    Cool downs for example for Bludgeon ( 15 /45 seconds) you can use 4 or 5 hits and then you have to wait until cool downs are over.
    Double Focus cost forces you to throw a lot of points to Focus tree.
    Locked Deck users have no access to combos.

The main concerns I have about Dynamic Deck:

Dynamic Deck requires a lot of players attention. (too much attention in my opinion)
    Moving ,Dealing with Slugs and combos is quite complex , we need extra fingers in our hands.
    Dynamic Deck and Random number generator fanciness :

[​IMG]
    Yup this is actually a real game image, from 25 glyphs/8 slugs I got a Royal Flux..........
    Im not going to say this aint funny, but believe me, it is not when you realize this happens more often than you may expect.

Heavy Smoker likes this.
  20. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Locked down kind of defeats the whole deck system. There is no "tactical planning" when your skills pop randomly. "Tactical planning" would be setting up your skills on a tradition hotkey bar.

Flexibility has nothing to do with it, when you're in combat you need what you need then and there, otherwise you're left running around waiting for the correct rune to pop. That's neither realistic or tactical, in fact thats comical!

There is no mastering a system of randomness, just learning to tolerate it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.