Poll: Do we need an in-game map?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alleine Dragonfyre, Sep 20, 2017.

Tags:
?

Do we need an In-game map?

1. Yes

158 vote(s)
    72.5%
  2. No

60 vote(s)
    27.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

This thread wasn't about if we need SotaMap.
    It is about if we need a map(system).

Okay most of us are inside this game for a long time and we know a lot because of this, but imagine, if you were new in this game.

Just enter one Outskirts for the first time - it is hard.

And the long way you have to go through all paths. Without a map you could run for hours and wasting your time... :(

I did every quest, every path, and without a map I couldn't.
    So I wonder how people don't want a map inside?

May be I'm wrong:
    Please tell me, how you found all the vaults without a map and finished all the questlines without a map?

I am really interested to hear how this works???

Jens_T, Numa, Elwyn and 1 other person like this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Paladin Michael

Yea, but there was never an argument against a map system by anyone. It was really an issue of whether the original design was something good and should have been finished and polished, or we needed a different design.

Everyone here was once new to the game, so I'm not sure there is much reason for anyone to imagine themselves in a new players shoes. As for your question, I haven't gone through most of the story, but I've found some of the vaults in the ruins and through exploring all the ruins, which was a bit fun.

Hornpipe likes this.
  3. Paladin Michael

1. We saw the World growing from the first time, I think it is a big different between this and to be a new player.

2. Because we had no map, a new player also don't need one?

3. If it is so easy without any map, try it and make the experience! And please let us know how it was. I hope, this will happen before launch, because you could give great Feedback :)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  4. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Ok I voted yes BUT: What I would like is a cartography skill that would allow us to make our own maps... keep our own notes.

I think the maps of the NPC towns should be in the game but I wish we could modify them. I remember playing Wow and all you had to do is d/l some 3rd party stuff and Voila...you knew where every node was.. which meant I just cruised from node to node basically paying zero attn to what was in between. I'd like to see SotA become more of a place I'm interested in exploring. Ofc as things presently are.. with so many places just being clones of each other that's still somewhat meaningless but I hope we get real variety soon.

5. Paladin Michael

And just to make it clear:
    I really don't want a map telling everything, like SotaMap.
    Just a mapping System, showing my progress in exploring this great World, to have fun while doing it :)

In Best case connected to our Quest Journal, showing visited places and paths...

Black Tortoise likes this.
  6. redfish

redfish Avatar

No I think the game needs maps. But I think the original system that the devs were designing was okay and we didn't need anything easier. They just need to finish it and polish it.

7. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I think I should remind everyone that the person who wrote the thread I referenced in this called "Fix.The.Maps" is a new player that had posted in the New Player Forums. He's been a member since Sep 2, 2017. That is a very, very important consideration.

Jens_T, Kaisa, Cordelayne and 2 others like this.
  8. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Yes on in game maps, yes on cartography.

I still say that the most fun I had with modifying in game maps using an in game developer tool, was in EverQuest. Drawing the map as I was running around, adding points of interests. It was like a 3D immersive Turtle programming language (which is where I got my start too many years ago).

Cartography skill can do many things. You need a certain skill to draw NPC towns. Certain skill for POTs. Certain skill for 1-5 skull areas. For dungeons. For world map. For adding certain kinds of points of interests. Treasure maps. Need a certain level of BOTH cartography AND gathering skill, to add those specific gathering nodes on a map.

For the WoW example, there was only one tool I downloaded. I forget the name, but it is where it showed me where I personally did whatever node. Mining, harvesting, etc. I did not enable it to show me everything before I even got there. It was fun to look at a map later on and see where I personally been, where my in game character can 'remember" the node spots were.

For those that don't want a map for immersive stuff. Do you turn off Compass as well? Shouldn't it make sense that if you are playing yourself, entering this world as an avatar, that you yourself should remember locations, instead of you playing a random character from that world, and thus made of that world, and thus you don't rely on YOUR memory, but your in-game character's memory, and thus it would make more sense your world-born character would have a better idea of where things are? Not sure if I am making sense with the very fine hair splitting here.

9. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I would like a map, however, I would like it tied into a Cartography skill tree.

One branch of the tree is for reading and interpreting maps. The higher the skill you are, the better you are at interpreting maps. Think of it as going from a map with outlines thru some sequence to full color, full node display. I would expect most people to get the first tier of this for convenience of basic map display, much like some people get to 20 on Light and stop there.

Another branch of the tree is for map creators. The higher they progress, the more detailed the maps are that they create, meaning the base image (just lines thru full color) displayed node types and the ability to annotate a map. Of course, in order to make a map you should have to visit the area. Perhaps visiting the area gives the basic outline, and more details are added after applying a learned skill. If you apply it right, then your map gets filled in for X amount of meters (adjusted by skill) around your character. You keep exploring, and keep using your create skill until you have visited the entire scene, or you deem it otherwise done.

These maps could be sold to other players who can have their own personal maps updated by this new information, and the skills from the interpreter branch determine what is displayed to them. In addition, make these things frameable and displayable in houses. Eventually cartography would have treasure hunting skills added to both the interpreting and creating branches. Base our displayed map on an atlas where we can add our created, discovered or purchased maps.

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes, we need a beautiful, high quality in-game map with fog of war that works on all platforms.

11. Gix

Gix Avatar

If you're talking about a mini-map? No. We don't need it.

If you're talking about a world-map. Yes. Yes, we need an official map that doesn't require 3rd party solutions to work. I had hopped that the Overworld would function as such but, alas, it turned into a mini-(travel)-game or sort. We especially need it since the NPCs don't know where stuff is either and no one is capable of getting directions from them.

Since when did the compass actually do anything aside from pointing you to stuff you already knew about? At a certain point, it becomes unreadable with a cluster of icons.

In The Elder Scrolls series, the compass actually had a function.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Kaisa and Solazur like this.
  12. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

I hope the Overworld can be made to be more than a time sink

13. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I am for what most people want, I'm just going to sheeple this one :) .

14. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

That is an excellent point and I agree. I had not noticed that Alleine! :)

15. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Really though here's what I want: :D

Addison and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  16. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

I do not think a map is needed, but it is nice to have. I would really like it if it had a system to where you needed to uncover the map to see the map and nodes. The in-game item maps could be used as a means to uncover space without having to travel through it.

twofoldsilence likes this.
  17. Gix

Gix Avatar

Why?

How is the fact that being a "new player" important in any way? Is it because we can shrug off the issue because that player will just learn to deal with it or that the particular player can't give an informed feedback, or is it because being new suddenly makes the argument more relevant than any other time one of us veterans gave the feedback countless times already?

New player experience isn't up to par? Guess what? So is the rest of the game...

18. twofoldsilence

twofoldsilence Avatar

Personally I would love an in-game map with a fog of war that I can makes notes on. As for whether it's a mini map or in game map items I really don't care. If Port does return to the individual inventory maps the only thing I would like is for the maps to be added to a personal world atlas similar to how recipes and journal entries are stored when you find or buy them as I always found it annoying prior to the SotaMap integration how it took me forever to find the specific map I was looking for in my inventory. Especially, since the maps all use a very large icon, and I use the bag inventory mode.

Paladin Michael likes this.
  19. Atticus Gryphonheart

Atticus Gryphonheart Legend of the Hearth

I vote we need a Map System. I think it should be like originally envisioned. You find/purchase the map for the area you are exploring and then you have access to look at a map for that site.

I would like to be able to edit the map, i.e. put down tack for my favorite hunting spots, etc.

How complete the map is a matter of opinion. I feel that there can be different types for the same area (Yeah! More work for the developers!).

Three types that come to mind would be basic topography map for an area (showing all the paths), or resource map for an area (shows locations of nodes, but not necessarily all the paths to get there), or a "wildlife" map.

In regards to having an icon that show where I am on the map, I don't think that should be persistent. I think you should enter /loc while map is open, and then it shows where you are. As soon as you move, the icon disappears off the map till you hit /loc again.

Perhaps later through crafting a device can be crafted that allows the loc to constantly be shown.

I think any mapping system should involve finding a map and being able to say "oh wow...been here for years and only now discover there is a secret cavern!!"

Edit. Oh forgot the Overworld map. Again, the ability to see the whole world, but use /loc to know where you are, not constantly following you while moving.

20. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I read it as the opposite as you did. They're a new player, so their input is based on their first impressions. They haven't gone through four years of incremental updates and a different set of expectations.

You sound very bitter, so I am sure your impressions and expectations are much different than theirs.

Numa and Cordelayne like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.