Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Poll - Inventory format Free, List, or Other!

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by Valice Belgraham, Jan 25, 2014.

?

Which inventory format do you like best so far.

1. Free form

42.0%
  2. List form

44.0%
  3. Other form

14.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valice Belgraham

Valice Belgraham Avatar

Thought I would make this a poll instead.​

"I like free form all the way. List gives good details at a glance, but completely ruins immersion for me. Makes it feel like the icon for inventory should change from a bag to a scroll...​

My main concern with list is that it would ruin the development of a thief build. Free form bags make it harder for thieves to steal certain items based on how you have your bags laid out. If a thief has the option to look at a list format, there would be no form of risk for the thief to have to spend more time looking through your bag and moving objects, that will potentially give them away, before finding something valuable to take. If given the option between list and free form, someone who plays with list might not ever arrange their bag in free form mode, so valuables might get pushed on top of your bag, and make it easier for a thief to grab the mother load, if playing a thief means you can only look through a bag in free form mode and not list mode.​

A good compromise, that I would be happy with, would be to have both formats in the game, but make list format only viewable to your characters inventory and houses that you own or are allowed joint ownership too, and have it so that you can't move or take things out of it in list view. This way the list is only a quick reference to what you have/own, and doesn't break immersion, or limit the developers from creating other game elements that would have an unfair advantage from gaining access to a list view of what a player has.​

You could also add to the list format an option that list what items are in what sub bags/inventories, for players that might loose track of where a certain item is if they have 50+ bags, pouches, chest on them.​

I'm hoping in the future they limit what items can go in certain containers based on size, even though we all know you shouldn't be able to carry a whole crafting station or 10+ chest in a single backpack. That's what they had deeds for back in UO, and hopefully that will be tweaked to be more realistic as the game comes closer to public release. Obviously adding those levels of details and restrictions at this point in pre alpha would gimp the whole testing process."​

prospereau likes this.
  2. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

Option for both like they have is good!

Jambo, Time Lord and Skalex like this.
  3. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

Both are good, but I prefer free form for more immersion

NRaas and Skalex like this.
  4. Nord

Nord Avatar

I like having both for personal use but maybe restrict thieves going through others inventory to free form.

5. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

A list. But much more powerful. Too much dragging, etc. atm.

Skalex and Lord Baldrith like this.
  6. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

Why not both? Why only one?

They are both awesome in their own way. Each have their time to shine.
    They should make it easier to toggle between the two, rather than go to options.

A lot of feedback has been given on both systems. They should take this feedback, make both systems better and make everyone happy.

7. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

I Love both and this topic is a great example of things that we should be able to have both ways ...because the community is so involved with the project its in our favor to simply ask can we have List ,Bag and another type if its liked ?

8. Fredrick FlameGrinder

Fredrick FlameGrinder Avatar

9. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I really love both types of inventories they have advantages and disadvantages but I would really love to see grid style. Starr Long said that it's not currently planned to have Grid style but I think if enough people want this that it could happen anyways vote for other on the poll if you want three options in the game Classic, List, and Grid!!

10. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I prefer the Bag inventory, but very much want a toggle or even a different hot key for list view. List view is very useful for comparing and filtering items, but this use is specific. Bag view is much more natural for day to day use.

Having to go into the settings is a bummer and too cumbersome. A toggle or separate way of launching the list would be preferrable so you can go back and forth easier.

Link_of_Hyrule likes this.
  11. SirWhale

SirWhale Avatar

Both modes are very clunky, so I'm hoping for big improvements. (double click to move to inventory, or to craft table would help a lot) I wouldn't mind if managing inventory was completely redone.

12. Valice Belgraham

Valice Belgraham Avatar

I would have to agree that as things are currently, both modes are clunky. There has been great discussions on these issues in these R2 feedback forms though, so make sure you provide feedback where ever you can as well, if you have not already.

13. Bayridge

Bayridge Avatar

both for me

14. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I like the list best, but not just the list. I like the ability to use both and my main suggestion is that they make it easier to do so, by giving us a hotkey.

To be honest, I think a grid would be the best. Open up your pack and it's laid out with graphics of your items on a grid, with large items taking up more space, and with multiple items stacking.

15. prospereau

prospereau Avatar

Interesting that the results seem to be tracking pretty much 50/50. I guess the devs really knew what they were doing when they made this an option. :)

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

The only reason I voted for list form is because it was easier to work with., well if you could resize the window better that is. I have always been a fan of the cute little bags. They are nostalgic for me reminding me of the wonderful years when I played Ultima. But of course things need to be scaled down to work with the bags. I actually think it would be best to keep both styles in the game as an option since we are all different in what we like. So I'd say no choice here, just improve the bags and keep the list too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.