Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[POLL] R5 Updated Overland Map

Discussion in 'Release 5 Feedback' started by High Baron O`Sullivan, Apr 25, 2014.

?

What is your opinion on the updated R5 dual-scale overland map?

1. I like it.

50 vote(s)
    28.1%
  2. I do not like it.

11 vote(s)
    6.2%
  3. Would like if improvements were made (read my post below)

31 vote(s)
    17.4%
  4. Do not like - and do not think I would ever like - even with improvements

23 vote(s)
    12.9%
  5. Revert back to the 3D map

63 vote(s)
    35.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

Well the thing is since the main way to travel in this game will be by the overland map many people will end up spending a decent amount of time on that map. Many of us hoped and thought with the original map overland map travel would still be fun and interesting.

2. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

I personally would like them to go back to the original map. However if that does not happen I am fine with this map as long as there are some changes. Such as day/night cycles with decreased visibility at night. Fog of war or something like it. Only major cities and the like marked on the map we should not know where every dungeon or little town or landmark is before we have even been there. Animals and monsters roaming around the map and the chance when crossing over a hex to be pulled into a random encounter with one of the creatures inhabiting that hex. A more 3d look would be nice. Different art for the trees and town and cities and so on so everything doesn't just look the same.

3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Many changes for a map they obviously redesigned to have less work with it.
    And many new features they already had in the old map.

I somehow doubt that there will be much more features and changes to the current map, otherwise this would mean too much work - work they would have to do again as some features already were part of the old map.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  4. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

I agree that the old map would have taken a lot less work. I could still live with this new map with all or most of the changes I mentioned. I do think it would be a lot of work for them that would be unnecessary if they just went back to the original plan. Of course maybe I am wrong and the old map would not have been as great as I thought I mean we only ever saw a tiny portion of it. I would have liked to get a chance to test it out a little first at least though.

5. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

So where is this doubt comming from?

6. Lord Ulysses

Lord Ulysses Avatar

Maybe the time they spent on changing the look of the previous map to the new current look could of been spent to polish up the look of the original map look! Or maybe they changed the original map for some other reasons completely?.

If it doesnt end up going back to a more 3d look, i agree with everything you stated here!

7. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

They haven't reacted to the criticism of the R5 map yet, they do not answer the questions about how they plan to improve the map (but to be fair we now have weekend and therefore answering here is not a must) and Chris said that they did not make progress on the old map fast enough. So I think they wanted to have an overland map that would not be too much work and adding all those things we would like to have would bring them back to their original situation: not enough time to create a great looking, immersive map - especially with more functionality.

8. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

I voted more improvements

But!

I Like this Map over all . New Different and fun its like a Old table top war map,if we had 3d /pewter pieces atop our Cloth maps on our Desk tops we would be adding a town piece a windmill or dungeon as we discover them . I would still like the Hex's less pronounced though.

9. stile

stile Avatar

I pertty much agree with Smack. I liked the 3d style much more in addition. Anyone seeing this game if the first thing they look at is the overland map they are going to think its something from 1995, not 2014. I want depth, i want crisp graphically rendered icons, animated icons, weather patterns, light levels, etc. everytime i exit the zone and go overland its a heart sinking feeling. My immersion was just broke, and movement and control is lost, and it feels amateur made.

Disclaimers- its not a game breaker for me.

Youll notice i RARELY have anything bad to say about the game, im 99% behind most things.

Im in favor of duel scale map.

With all that said, the current map feel and look are not enjoyable experiences for me.

The controls and movement is lacking as well but im guessing thats an early stage thing.. So no complaint there.

But the devision to change to this artsy look, is something im not really happy with *shrugs*.

The kickstarter map, with 3d depth, moving caravans, flying dragons, etc was better even though it had a long way to go.

10. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I actually liked the less pronounced hex's this version, thy could go a notch less but i think they quite unobtrusive now. And would prefer seeing them than not.
    But i like this map in R5 like you.
    I like the style. The cloth has been done great and the colours are splendid. Im liking the animations and im sure more will come on this. I don't like the shield on wheels and would prefer maybe me with a flag but overall i much prefer it over the KS one.
    If you don't do the 3D style of map very well they just look bad imo. Done very well it would be great but for the amount of time i feel we will be in the map the cost is to much.
    I also think updating hex information could be done with more style and a lot less work in the cloth map than the 3d one.

I think in 5+ years time we will all rather love the cloth map, it does seem quite friendly and warm over just a few days playing.
    Maybe in further episodes they might look at a new 3d version if time and cost allow. Im sure if the game succeeds everything will get constant makeovers. Until then im happy with this direction.

Cir and Margard like this.
  11. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

This, a hundred times, this!

Lord Baldrith, Sunsanvil and Kaisa like this.
  12. Minoc

Minoc Avatar

To me these are the big questions I would like answered.
    I would still prefer the prior overland view, but if the current map had these features added then it would be an 'ok' replacement.

docdoom77 and tradyblix like this.
  13. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Sorry to have to post about the overland map of another game again but I just played the early access version of Endless Legend and boy does this look incredibly cool! This is how SotAs map should look like! A stylistic but very detailed approach. Even the zoom is fantastic!

[​IMG]

14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

map examples click to see tons of examples

Oh I just can't like the map at all. I truly don't think we should waste anymore time on it. I know a lot of hard work went into getting it ready for R5 but it is just not gonna fly and will just bring the game down. The current map and of course the current character models so far look so out of date for a current game, and so not what will make this a successful game . I know it's early, but just saying again not the look that will promote the game or help the game.

15. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

THAT is the seminal point which we are discussing in the other thread. If I may quote Mishiri (emphasis added by me):

So while I voted "3D", it comes with the qualification that I dont think the game needs a 3d version of the map we are currently being shown, but rather a second 3D playable layer (and hey, you can still have a static flat map as well to take notes on).

16. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

As I said, I guess one and maybe the main reason for changing the 3D map to the cloth style seems to be that the devs have much less work with the map. As Chris said they planned for the map to be a simple means of travel, nothing more. And by using a cloth/paper style they accomplish this much faster and cheaper. Maybe people would think that there would be much more to the map if they would see a living, detailed 3D world. Maybe then they would think that they could actually do something on this map, that there would be functionality to it like hole up and camp, encounters with monsters, a day night cycle with some effect on gameplay and weather etc.
    With changing it to a map they can concentrate on it being simply a map where you move from point A to point B, nothing more. And this would be a HUGE disappointment.

17. selbie

selbie Avatar

So long as they give the map some more life with animations and detail, it will suffice for Episode 1. However, given the community's clear objections to certain aspects of it, I think they will have to work hard to develop something better for the later Episodes. Especially when the world map becomes larger and more complex and they introduce things like sailing etc.

18. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

The first impression is what will last on SotA like with Star Wars The Old Republic. No one cares how the addons improved SWTOR after the reviews and impressions after its launch. So SotA has to include as much features and functionality as possible with the launch of episode 1.
    Even after a year people will say "SotA? Wasn't this the game with map you could do nothing on?" - "Yeah, but for episode 2 they improved it significantly!" - "Who cares anymore?"

19. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

This can even be done using their current hex based map. Would need to be able to rotate though to see the hexes on the other side of the elevations.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

20. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Ok, I am a bit angry now after having read this interview with Starr Long:
    https://developer.amazon.com/public...cing-Really-Work-An-Interview-with-Starr-Long

Those statements obiously don't apply to some elements of the game for example the overland map:

"The biggest tips for doing a Kickstarter are:

"So the double edged sword there with a built-in crowd is they want you to build something like you have done before. They will not support you if you try to do something very different. So our strategy started fairly simple: “Make what they want.” "

"Have a very clear message about what you are making exactly (gameplay description, platform(s), visual style, etc.)"

"Don’t over promise what you can make with the amount of funds you are asking for or make sure potential backers that Kickstarter will only be one source of funding"

"Art Assets representing the rewards promised to backers. This means building the game model and putting it in the game. This content includes player houses, pets, clothes, tools, etc."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.