POLL - Realistic or Unrealistic Armor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tartness, Nov 4, 2013.

?

Vote - Would you like to have Realistic or Unrealistic Armor in SotA

1. Realistic

84.7%
  2. Unrealistic

15.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

i want my char to have armour on but not show it, i prefer cosmetic clothing so i can dress my girl up!

2. Oakwind

Oakwind Avatar

I have seen armour and how it functions . All armour should function the same.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

notes:

Make us some armor or else.lol

[​IMG]

3. Eldgrim

Eldgrim Avatar

Are the two mutually exclusive? As long as both types don't have wildly different stats, what is preventing the game from offering both? If it would ruin the story to have both, then I would say keep it internally consistent.

4. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

Going along the lines of what the Dev team has said, it would not make sense to have unrealistic armor. This is because if there is no stat bars or points over an enemy's head showing a visual of their life then you have to look at them to see how your progressing. If you see a well armored opponent, whether that is scales, thick fur, magical armor effects, or armor; you know you will have to beat on them. If you see something standing there in their skin only, as in a human. you can kinda figure they wont be as strong. Having no relation between visuals and armor value will make the model they have talked about very difficult.

5. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Just because the Blizzard CEO is living his HE-MAN Collection Dream in all his games does not mean they would have failed if he had gone more realistic armor and avatar.
    Happy that SotA is going other style.

6. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

But there are moments we do not fight, moments we want to role-play a special occasion, man want to look fancy and yes women wan't to look pretty and female and even show off what they have.

Please provide casual clothing that gives the opportunity to give personality to your avatar.

Running in full plate armor to shop bread, or smithing a sword in full leather armor, or dancing at the kings party in a assassins armor with 20 daggers attached to you is just as stupid as fighting in a bikini.

So give as casual clothing to also look sexy and pretty at home.

Even if we will not scream it out we do love to show sometimes the hard trained muscles or the wonderful female curves.
    And that works even without being rated R

7. smack

smack Avatar

I suspect we will see many items in the shop in the years to come. House decoration and avatar personalization are prime candidates for this.

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  8. Kell Frost Wyrm

Kell Frost Wyrm Avatar

I voted realistic, if only to avoid that chainmail for men turns into chainmail bikini's for women.
    It's been done to death in fantasy games IMO.

I like the approach in the NWN games, a female full plate armor is essentially the male version, they only adapted the chest piece a little. other armors like leather armor are more along the lines of "one size fits all" and are the same armor.

9. Oakwind

Oakwind Avatar

I just learned that the word chainmail is not correct. It is called Maille. I just found out myself.

10. Oakwind

Oakwind Avatar

11. Oakwind

Oakwind Avatar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    cool looking maille armour .

[​IMG]

this is my favorite so far.

12. Oakwind

Oakwind Avatar

[​IMG]

Great maille (chain mail) armor from the SCA club.....

13. Oakwind

Oakwind Avatar

Here is some cool stuff I came across.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Oakwind

Oakwind Avatar

I hope we see this armour in the game too

[​IMG]

smack likes this.
  15. Sanctius

Sanctius Avatar

I voted for realistic armor for the reason that i like more simple outfits. I'm sure unrealistic can be simple too so in the end it doesn't make a big difference for me.

I just hope there is lots of variety and customization options (and the way i understand there will be). I'd love some glow effects that represent different characteristics. I know glow effect is nothing new but i still love it and many games use it just for the eye candy without any real meaning.

16. Stiler

Stiler Avatar

I voted for realistic armor, no giant pauldrons or spikes, or horns on helmets, etc.

However I do hope many people do realize that real armor could (and was) able to be quite decorative and varied.

Speaking in regards mainly to plate armor, which is something most people picture when they hear the word "Armor" and middle ages, there was many styles and ways to decorate a suit of armor.

The idea of plate armor all being this silver chrome like finish with nothing on it is not quite true.

One way armor could be different was dependent on the color from making the armor itself. When heating the steel it changes colors, and depending on the skill of the armourer he could get this color evenly or on a full set of armor. This could lead to a blue colour (known as bluing), black (black from the hammer), and others.

Another thing that many people don't realize is that they actually used paint on armor. A lot of armor that is in museums and things these days have sadly lost the paint that wa soriginally on them or have accidentally had it "cleaned" off when they polished it not knowing what they were doing.

Ther eare a few surviving examples of this , the most famous being the "Black Sallets," see here:
    http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2700

Both the painting on armour and the heating of it also helped protect it from the elements and rust, so it had a secondary use aside from just making it look "cool/unique."

There was also the ability to cover your armor with cloth, with some helmets (like the sallet) having small area's to attach cloth to them if you wished.

Then there are the other numerous ways plate armor could be decorated, from engraving, gilding (this is how you got the "golden" armor), inlays, embossing, etching, etc.

So this idea that "realistic" armor has to all be silver and bare-colour or non-decorative is actually "un" realistic, at least when it comes to plate armor.

vjek and NirAntae like this.
  17. Oakwind

Oakwind Avatar

Etching and all that fancy stuff was worn by royalty. polishing, was done, and has a good effect against rust, the smoother the surface is, the less likely it will start to rust, as moisture can not cling all to easily to the surface.
    As to the actual polishing, well one method is using pumise powder and a bit of oil, that is a very old method, which works great, but costs a bit of elbow grease! That mehtod is still being used now a days by some tradtionally working goldsmiths on their juwellary. The thing is keeping up the gloss, then you only need to give your stuff a short rub over, and that is it. If you let rust get a good hold on your gear, then you got a good portion of work ahead of you! Painted and burnished armour did exist, but at least burnished armour seems to have been cheaper gear. Looking at existing armour that all seems to have been polished on a regular basis. The easiest protection is a thin film of oil, and seeing to it that when ever the armour has been used that, that fim is renewed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Oakwind

Oakwind Avatar

Some History of armoured Knights.

19. Oakwind

Oakwind Avatar

check this awsome video

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.