poll ] SotA or UO2 which do you want?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by InsaneMembrane, Feb 17, 2014.

?

What do you want Shroud of the Avatar to be?

1. same same - Ultima Online 2

28.4%
  2. something new - Shroud of the Avatar

71.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

Shroudies. I can’t believe there hasn’t been a simple poll for this yet. If there has been, I missed it.

So vote now Shroudies and show the Developers what you want, what you really really want!

Do you want more of the same good old FULL LOOT l33t sandbox play Ultima Online provided for us at all costs? Or do you want a game which will possibly re-define or reset the PC RPG genre and set a new standard for the next decade plus, even if it sacrifices your ability to lay serious PWNage down on all of the part time housing n00bs?

This is a simple poll, there are only two options, you either want UO2 or you don’t.

Lord Baldrith and Jivalax Azon like this.
  2. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

The only really interesting thing to me about UO was the ability to capture an RP/Crafting crowd that only SWG was able to do as well. Most games are geared toward the Achiever/Killer powergamer, and that's always how I've played, but it's interesting to me that they made this work.

enderandrew, Jivalax Azon and Ristra like this.
  3. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Not sure I understand this poll. The game has already been flatly stated, by the developers, multiple times, to not be UO2.0

So I guess this is just a fun exercise in What If?

Cheers

4. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

Something new.

I was very uncertain about the original UO2. UO should have been a game, like EVE Online, that was continuously updated. Not replaced with a sequel.

Now thanks to EA/Mythic butchering the game and lore over the last few years, it's best to leave that franchise die. Time to move on to something new. :)

Nhili Dragon likes this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Someone had made a statement that "most" people here want a UO2. I think this was more or less meant to prove otherwise.

6. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

These results are shocking, considering what forum we're on.

fumblefingers and licemeat like this.
  7. mike11

mike11 Avatar

UO 2 is not "same same", it is **AMAZING**!!

licemeat likes this.
  8. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Actually, a similar argument was made regarding the single player aspect and the original Ultima series. As much as nostalgia still lurks in our memories, it's impossible to expect an exact recreation and outcome, especially given the changes to not only MMO design, but online gaming in general over the years.

Back when UO first launched, it was still a very fledgling time for online gaming. Internet access was still limited in areas, and gaming was nowhere as mainstream or popular with the masses as today. Gameplay, graphics, party/guild systems, skill balance, etc have all constantly changed even in UO itself, and always with varied levels of acceptance as changes have occurred.

SotA can't be a direct clone of either the Ultima games or UO itself. What it can be, hopefully, is an enjoyable, interesting, fun, and immersive game world that uses the best elements from those backgrounds, along with new and exciting features, to make something we'll want to continue to play for a long time to come.

Just keep in mind, not everyone's fun are compatable, and you can't please everyone all of the time. There has to be enough variety to reach and keep interest, so the game as a whole can not only be a successful release in the MMO field, but also maintain a strong consistent market share. :)

9. Mattsy

Mattsy Avatar

I want SotA. I hope it has some of the same feel as old UO.

fumblefingers and Lord Baldrith like this.
  10. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

Really??

Pretty much Bowey.

11. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

12. Ara

Ara Avatar

Just cause EA butchered the game don't make the old game any worse.

UO2 would have had loads of pledgers.

fumblefingers likes this.
  13. Ara

Ara Avatar

I thought the slider would provide a game that would please everyone, both Ultima fans and Ultima Online fans.

As it is now it seems to only please Ultima fans. Hardcore UO PvP players have little looking forward to.

fumblefingers and Ferrus like this.
  14. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

Ok, I loved the Ultima series and of course UO. But in the greater scheme of things I think the real value of UO was the introduction of MMOs to the world in a way they had never considered. I know it is sacrilege here, but there are many games I liked better than UO that came out after UO and were inspired by UO. The thing is, the market has kind of fallen into a rut. My greatest hope for SotA is that it will redirect the market as a whole again. I hope we get a game that can be fun for years, but more importantly, that it inspires other game makers to again experiment and branch out. Any genre that is not growing, is dying. While MMOs are vastly popular now compared to the old days of UO, the market doesn't have a lot of innovation. People have realized that almost all the games are similar and it doesn't matter much which one they play - or worse yet, maybe not play any at all and move on to something else. (What level of tragedy it would be if MMOs fell to idiotic games like Farmville or other FaceBook time sinks?) SotA has the potential not to revisit an exciting time of yesteryear, but to mold an exciting new future for the next decade or two.

15. G Din

G Din Avatar

If I was giving producer status by EA for a UO2, I'd make a game that would blow your mind. All I have to say.

16. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

There were two separate UO2 projects that were developed for years. One was called UO2, and I think the other was called Ultima X Odyssey.

17. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Heu ??

This poll is &%€$#

add sotauo2 in poll option dude.

18. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Wait, why would EA do a kickstarter?

19. smack

smack Avatar

I absolutely hated the design of the original UO2. I present this aberration as evidence:

Yes, those were kung fu moves. And yes, that was a cyberobotank. I'm so glad that project died.

20. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Eh, it's still really early to make that call, though. We're days from pre-Alpha R3, and we STILL haven't yet gotten into things like combat systems, ability balances, skill cap limitations, or even anything towards actual PvP in game. There's so little solid information at this point, it can be easy to over speculate yourself into a frenzy. ;)

Not saying your concerns are unfounded, or that they shouldn't be at least addressed one way or another by the Devs at some point. But all I am saying, be patient as more stuff gets revealed and released, so there's actual direct facts to discuss and make suggestions on, before you make any final decisions on a game we have yet to even play. I do think they want to offer that experience for the hardcore fans in their way.

And from the Ultima side of things, I'm constantly chomping at the bit waiting for any new scrap of lore and knowledge about the lands of New Britannia, so I feel your pain as we wait for them to finish. :D

Nhili Dragon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.