[POLL] What is your *overall* rating for this Pre-Alpha Release 3?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smack, Feb 21, 2014.

?

What is your *overall* rating for this Pre-Alpha Release 3? (1=bad, 5=great)

1. 1

5.9%
  2. 2

11.1%
  3. 3

19.0%
  4. 4

39.9%
  5. 5

24.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

I am amazed at progress. Do you code? I am amazed when I can code a clock program or a name generator. (not much of a programmer and I don't do it for a living.) But I do game work. I could make all of the changes they did and more to a PnP game in the time since R2. I couldn't incorporate fan made music even if it wasn't up to high fidelity standards. I couldn't get my stuff to work across multiple platforms to people all over the world (though arguably they are struggling with this too).

As a game right now, this sucks bad. Of course that is because it is a pre-alpha. For a pre-alpha, it is amazing. Seen many pre-alphas? This is the first I have come onboard for a Pre-Alpha. I've done a fair amount of closed beta and much of it was little better than SotA is now.

But we do agree on some things. Here I post how happy I am and that I am amazed at the progress. In the bug and feedback forums I post everything I can find wrong or incomplete. Carrot and stick. I think there is a time and place for both. In the feedback, tell em everything you dislike and how to change it. Here, why?

2. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

After playing this today, I need to drop my rating. The memory leaks being a primary issue. Lag was getting bad, compared to say, a couple of days ago when it was non existent. They will need to address this before moving forward. I also find it curious that people like to rip apart a pre-alpha, as if it were some finished work. Perhaps this is why many developers don't have open 'pre-alpha' testing :).

3. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

Well nothing is wrong with posting complaints/concerns. I have posted plenty of concerns in the R3 forums. But I do think some people get the impression the game will be much more complete and much more stable then realistically a prealpha will be and that leads to disappointment.

I definitely agree though memory leaks and lag are a big concern.

Jivalax Azon and Alexander like this.
  4. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

I, for one, do not like to "rip apart" a pre-alpha. When asked for our input, I'm going to be honest about my take on the game. What other reason for being in pre-Alpha? If you just nod your head and say it's great, what use is that?

Joviex and Jivalax Azon like this.
  5. Margard

Margard Avatar

They are aware of the memory issues - Darkstarr mentioned it on the update for extended game play - through Sunday night

- Playing it with full screen and reducing graphics to "fastest" is supposed to help until they optimize

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  6. Margard

Margard Avatar

Me thinks you always like to have the last word :)

7. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

I followed the suggestions. They don't work for me. I don't have an old PC.

8. ZooK

ZooK Avatar

I'm surprised with the amount of progress made in a little under a year since the kickstarter.
    Its not a game yet, but it's quickly getting there.

9. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

The memory leaks were a problem for me as well, but I also chalked that up to it being a test client. It has been surprisingly crash-free overall, and there have not been any play stopping errors that have killed it to desktop yet.

Hell, just on a comparison to the last Ultima game, it's leaps and miles ahead of Ultima IX's original retail release for playability. :D

mitchellhamilton and smack like this.
  10. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

4 here.

Cant 5 cause lag is terrible.

smack likes this.
  11. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

How about a( did not participate )option so people don't randomly pick a number to see the results?

12. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Not specifically aimed at you and sorry you took it as such. I agree with reporting issues so that they can be fixed. This was stated in general that this is just a pre alpha and is far from the final. Some peoples expectations are a bit high, but it could be because the final launch date is only several months away. My personal opinion on this is that the Oct 2014 launch date is too close and should be bumped up to at least 2015, especial with the game in its present state. Even with UO, there was a one year separation between pre-alpha and beta tests.

Caliya, smack and Jivalax Azon like this.
  13. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

? Just click "View Results" o_O

The Oct date has already been pre-emptively soft sold as "last quarter".

NRaas, smack and Jivalax Azon like this.
  14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Sorry you got disheartened. It's very hard to remember this is not yet the game. I too have to remind myself at times. Sometimes I think it is more difficult to do pre alpha, pre beta, and beta than actually waiting for a game and seeing the finished product. Hopefully you can hang in there like me. I am clicking my little ruby slippers and saying """this is not yet home, this is not yet home''''', Peace to you.

15. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I was hoping this would be more flexible. Oh well.

16. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

I think the key thing to remember is that each Release is going to focus on the list that is provided beforehand. If we're lucky (and we have been), there are a few extras as well. Compared to R2, R3 for me was only going to be adding one real "thing" and that being Multiplayer. Fortunately, they've added in a few extras beyond that with the features to explore in Braemar, Vendor commerce, and improved crafting. Also, considering the fun I've seen people simply using MPO as a "meeting space" to see the people we've been posting with for the past almost year, even just the simple concept of Multiplayer Access is a big thing.

I would say to people who get upset over what these Releases are or are not to actually READ what is and is not part of the Release. Starr posts a VERY detailed synopsis for each release.

As for scoring, I'm not judging the Releases in terms of what we're given vs "a complete game", I'm judging what we are given vs what the Release Notes say. I know there is PLENTY more development to go and that there will be plenty of bugs and other issues. That's why the Releases are being done... because 20,000+ people will find more issues than a few Devs can (and 1 QA person according to the latest video). A drop in score is based on something that is stated to be in the release and is not or is not working well. In this case, while Multiplayer works, the lag issue and lack of optimization is enough to down my final grade a point.

17. smack

smack Avatar

Indeed. They're going to need all the time they can get to even make a 2014 date.

NRaas and Abydos like this.
  18. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I really enjoyed the new city Braemar. It is beautiful, with the thick trees and the multi-colored leaves on the ground.

This is so early in the process of the game and the graphics are just amazing to me. I salute the devs for so much awesome in our game's look. Even the avatars have improved quite a bit. I love my long braids on my hair, but hope to see full on hair that goes all the way down my mage's back. I also want to see a long beard and wizard glasses.

What I still do not like is the crafting. It is nice that they added convenient ways to click it to the table for you automatically, but that doesn't make it any more fun. It's just going to be a matter of wikiing the receipes we can't figure and then being able to click 'craft' Done...I know we are all 100% perfect right now, but even some failure won't make it any more interactive as it stands. I want to see more of a mini-game or at least the ability to adjust things during my craft. Please no place and click crafting in the final version.

The multiplayer mode seemed to work really well. I was getting some lag, but nothing game-breaking. I was unable to figure out how to get my friends in the same instance as me...Like when we'd teleport, they'd disappear to me...so not sure what I was doing wrong there, or maybe it's not set up yet.

Really looking forward to r4. This game is going to be epic to me (even if the crafting stays as-is) because I know there will be so much more to the game than we have seen thus far.

19. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I gave it a three. The solo mode improvement warranted a solid 4/4.5. I loved the crafting book. I liked the new town. The music was fantastic. The controls are coming along (though I still find it hard to actually double click something and have it just activate the first time!). It was pretty good. Oh and the moon rift graphics were cool! But it wasn't as big a jump as R1 to R2 imho, probably because they were focused on multi-player.

For mpo, I gave it 1.5 or 2. I know it's not optimized, but it was just completely unplayable. So much lag and choppiness, I couldn't even give it a solid testing. If half your player base can't make it work, it's not much of a test in my mind.

So a 3.

smack likes this.
  20. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

After what Star said I can't bring myself to vote.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.