Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[POLL] What is your *overall* rating for this Pre-Alpha Release 8? (UNOFFICIAL)

Discussion in 'Release 8 Feedback' started by smack, Jul 26, 2014.

?

What is your *overall* rating for this Pre-Alpha Release 8? (1=bad, 5=great)

1. 1

5 vote(s)
    3.9%
  2. 2

5 vote(s)
    3.9%
  3. 3

28 vote(s)
    21.9%
  4. 4

40 vote(s)
    31.3%
  5. 5

50 vote(s)
    39.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bainks

Bainks Avatar

Best PvP experience I have had in years! Made a lot of friends. I didn't play any other aspects of the game tough. Just a little pve in the mines.

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

This was the best release yet, by far.

Making a "fun" version of PVP on the first go was an amazing accomplishment. I feel like this game is about to explode with new players over the course of the next six months.

I haven't been this excited about a game in my entire life. I can see now how we're going to get to where we all want to be. There were times in the past where I wasn't always sure, but seeing the development team execute at this high of a level makes me very confident in the future.

Mishri, Kaisa, abovenyquist and 2 others like this.
  3. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

This has been my first experience playing SoTA and i have really, really enjoyed it and am very excited about playing it when it's all done. I have played mmorpgs for years now. But up until this game i have never, ever enjoyed pvp... now i do! LOL - whoda thunk it?

Of course there's obviously still a lot of work left to be done but here's my votes on the release 8 items:

- Open PvP Areas (7 Open PvP Zones, PvP Balance (NOT) ) well i didn't get to all 7, i got to the valley ones and the island, just lovely, lovely graphics - not sure if we're going to be dropped in the same place like this when the game goes live? if so, maybe a randomized drop point would be better - i can see mobs of pvp jerks waiting for people if we all get let off at the same place... so because of that going to rate it a 4. but really - i had a blast!

- Combat Systems (Positioning, Cover / Line of Sight, Interrupts / Casting Bar, Jumping, Fizzle, Misguided Missiles) it seemed my spells got interrupted awfully easily... maybe focus could include a 'less likely to get spell interruption' aspect to it? maybe it will and i just didn't see it, liked the casting bar, my spells did seem to hit their targets the majority of the time.... so could use a bit of work, not perfect yet so giving it a 4 too.

- Glyph Combat and Deck Building (Multiple Decks, Gear Links, Locked Spells, Slugs, Fully Locked Option) Loved it - just loved it! I tried both locked and unlocked and for what i was doing with each i think it worked really well. 5

- NPC Collision - I know some people complained about this but i actually liked it (except with your own elemental! conjured critters should stay out of their masters' way, lol) It seemed to add more verisimilitude to the experience.. when there are people walking down the road you DO slow down and go around them, that's normal... you don't barrel through them like they're ghosts , and you shouldn't rudely push them out of the way on a daily basis - that breeds contempt for others. so i rate NPC Colllision a 5.

- Target Highlight on Interactive Objects - didn't mind this too much, you really do need to have it highlighted in some way so you can see what you're doing with what - so this was fine with me (placing items in your house is still a bit glitchy.. and trying to use the mouse to move around inside was a nightmare as it tended to grab things and move them around through walls n stuff but that's another discussion for another thread) . so i give target highlighting a 5

I'm not competent to respond on the remaining items, sry.
    - Damage Types & Resistances (Fire Resistance)
    - Combat Skills (Innate Skills, 23 New Skills, Focus Skills)
    - Status Indicators (Buffs, Debuffs, Low Ammo, Broken Gear)
    - Scenes (Ferig's Battle Camp)
    - Item Tooltips

thank you all for a great experience!
    sophi

4. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I still give it a 5, it got off to a slow start with the Card system.

- Open PvP Areas (7 Open PvP Zones, PvP Balance (NOT) ): not going to comment too much about this as I don't PvP. I like knowing where to stay the heck out of...

- Combat Systems (Positioning, Cover / Line of Sight, Interrupts / Casting Bar, Jumping, Fizzle, Misguided Missiles): I liked it better when you self aligned to the target you were focused on, the interrupts were quite noticeable, everything else I didn't notice at all.

- Damage Types & Resistances (Fire Resistance): I thought it was cool. but how do I know what armor to use to protect myself more, I can understand full plate being an incumbrance, but all I seen every PvP video guys using was plate, so I don't think it hurt them much, me on the other hand I was using Leather and then some founder stuff I picked up, which was cloth tunic but had better stats, the sintyre still killed me in two whacks.

- Combat Skills (Innate Skills, 23 New Skills, Focus Skills): still trying to learn them all and what the effects are, which are more useful..

- Glyph Combat and Deck Building (Multiple Decks, Gear Links, Locked Spells, Slugs, Fully Locked Option): I don't really like it, but I was getting used to it, and noticed I was still using the same combos, just in a random fashion (no key binding), so I don't really see the point of having a system like this...

- Status Indicators (Buffs, Debuffs, Low Ammo, Broken Gear): didn't notice any, probably because I was watching my cards more than anything else.

- Scenes (Ferig's Battle Camp): didn't get a chance to go there, maybe next time, I was farming ore & wood to craft since we don't get any anymore.

- New Creatures (Fire Elemental): they came in really handy as a companion, never died or ran away, stood a bit close though I was alway walking through her..

- Item Tooltips: they were good and very useful.

- NPC Collision: I don't normally walk through NPCs so it didn't bother me.

- Target Highlight on Interactive Objects: I liked it, at least you knew what you had targeted...

Other comments:
    -I like the change to stacking controls.
    -I like the bumped up resource spawning of ore, you went overboard on the gems, and bumped the silver/gold, but didn't do anything with the iron, that needs a big bump if we don't get more firsthand.
    -Cotton/wood need big bumps too, hides have always been good
    -I think spiders are bugged, they have "loot" sometimes/sometimes not, and you can field dress them too, sometimes you need to dbl click the corpse to FD then, sometimes your tool, it was all different on each spider corpse.
    -I still "moonwalk" sometimes but it's getting better, something to do with my elevation to the corpse.
    -My tools would disappear and need to be placed in the toolbar again after loading/exiting a scene.
    -The recipe for "Jeweled" longsword needs to be changed, it calls for 2 "bars" of Gold/Silver and no gems, if it would call for "ingots" instead of "bars" then I could have made a couple of them, gold/silver is spawning ok now in good ratio to each, but I only mined 1 bar/ 3 ingots of gold, whereas I mined 10 bars/ 8 ingots of silver.
    -I don't like having to target myself for light/heals I don't see why that was changed. There's a long cooldown for light out of combat.
    -I found it very tedious having to constantly go out of combat to use my tools, before you just automaticly did it. It was a pain to press the arrow then, but it worked.

All and all it was a good release, had some problems in the beginning but you guys fixed them fast, I like that, Good Job...

smack likes this.
  5. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

4, because the graphics still make me think I'm in 2004, I know, its something they joke about in the comments video, but they are just not to a high standard, couple that with poor optomisation, I can run most games on high/ultra at 60 fps but this chugs along at 10-20. HOWEVER, its alpha so I don't mind, but as we're grading the actual alpha and not the future its a 4 still. The combat was great.

Oh and the load times ><

Second Oh, still no cooking!

Caliya and smack like this.
  6. abovenyquist

abovenyquist Avatar

I never, ever thought I would be interested in PvP. I thought I'd just dabble to see what it was about.

And then almost the entire weekend *vanished.*

I had an absolute blast -- and to be clear, I pretty much got my ass kicked all the time. I can't think of other time I've had so much fun at something I was really mediocre at.

7. Floors

Floors Avatar

The island was the most successful PvP zone, because we could defend the castle against another group, they could storm it, you could swim away, you could fight on the beach, go onto the far beach for 1 vs 1.

The other 2 zones were cool too but a little small. Let's have a pvp town next time, fighting in houses, man, that will be fun.

PvP was super fun, met and learned how to fight from some amazing players, also enjoyed the PvE with some great players, great community, it is such a relief to get away from the atmosphere that, at times we have all contributed to on the forums.

I am getting a little stir crazy for the mainland though. The SP side remains somewhat a concern, but I think it will work out.

The community aspect of the game, the plays, meeting people in a dungeon, talking to randoms, lord british's meet and greets, just awesome.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to make the BT tournament - had some things to do in RL early in the day, I regret missing it, next time.

Vision OpenWorld likes this.
  8. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

This is the first release I've rated a 5! I loved the combat system. I was in the 'wait till I try it' catagory and I tried it and loved it. Not at first tho.

-There are some learning curves for the focus section, including knowing to have fast draw speed and slow discard speed, which I had no changed at first and the default is wrong even when you put points in it :).
    -I played pure mage, so I wanted to check all the spells out and found that the most important spell in my deck was lightning. Does mucho damage and has a chance to stun. Plus you can cast it while moving. I also loved Fireball for when I had a bit of time to cast it, the sun spell (I forget the name), and Fire Arrow. I found a wand and it helped with auto-attack. Good to throw out damage while kiting!
    -I loved the terain where the Satyrs were. Plenty of walls to hide behind, trees, jumping spots etc. I was able to kite 3 or more mobs at a time and LIVE. That's impressive for a mage.
    -I wore all cloth so had no slugs and no fizzle. That is how it should be. I was taking 40 damage hits from Satyrs so I learned to keep out of their way :)
    -During PvP I was pretty survivable. I didn't do much...but the couple of people I did fight I won at least 1 battle with. Not a big PvPer but I may find myself doing it in game because it's such a fun combat system for me.

The graphics continue to amaze me. Very polished and beautiful to me.
    The characters are still pretty bland. No new beards/hair for my mage. Need my long beard!
    No wizards hats or robes yet...Still hoping to see them either in game or in the store. (I'm sunk when they add wizards stuff)

Awesome job on this release! Funnest ever! I played every day for many hours a day! That's a game. Once they add XP I will be doomed!

Khloec, Gaelis, majoria70 and 2 others like this.
  9. Ker

Ker Avatar

I gave it a 5/5 since I totally loved it. I do not normally look for PvP but found it to be great fun here.

Retro and smack like this.
  10. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Sorry, but why was this needed? Do you really need a highlight to tell you that a door or chest can be opened?

Kaisa and Alexander like this.
  11. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

this release was a complete bust for me.

12. smack

smack Avatar

In what way?

13. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

to begin with i've barely even been able to play, i can't even get logged on right now. Then there's the fact that I'm not really interested in deck building games anymore, its an emersion breaker for me. 0

14. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Best release yet, I had no issues when I had a chance to play (only played Wednesday and Thursday). I really like the combat system, once combos get in there and more abilities it should feel really cool. COMBO! can't wait to see it. I think it will grow on people, and for those that it never grows on, I hope they can be satisfied with all locked skills. I wish I had more time to play with different combos, i just made a root/fireball mage.. I didn't even try healing...

Sadly R9 I'll probably have other plans as well, I'm looking forward to having some longer play sessions outside of the pre-alpha's.

Retro and smack like this.
  15. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah unfortunately the pre-alpha releases are time limited. And if you hate deck building, there's always the Fully Locked Option, where it acts like a regular hotbar like any other game (no random deals, plate spinning, etc).

Thanks for the clarification and the vote!

16. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Isn't the game shut down right now?

Doppelganger [MGT] likes this.
  17. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I can't tell you how disheartening this release was for me.

18. Retro

Retro Avatar

5\5 They said the goal of R8 is "Fun PVP" mission accomplished!

In fact this has been the first "Fun" release period, all releases before this were just boring (IMHO) technology demos, R8 was the very first early glimpse at the "game" and combat. Great work...

19. Annah_Sennah

Annah_Sennah Avatar

I liked this release more than the others that I have gotten to try.

The one thing that bugged me the most was that healing doesn't default to heal you, it stays unusable until you click yourself. I like the card based fighting more than just spamming the same attacks/spells, the randomization makes it more fun. It's like playing Magic the Gathering and waiting to draw your favorite card, plus it makes you think how to build the best deck...balancing out skills and such.

I'm n0t very good so I didn't bother with pvp, but I also don't really like pvp so I avoided the pvp specific areas. Will it continue to be that the pvp areas are marked off? I think I remember it being said that there will be specific pvp areas. This I also like because it adds to a bit of realism...like the 'bad part of town' feeling...and keeps it so that you don't have to worry about talking to your friend and being randomly killed by some grief pker.

So far so good!! I'm so excited for the final product!!

Gaelis, smack and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  20. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

I gave a 4. Battle system was great and a real surprise!,But the framerate and my ping in England made combat tough at times.

smack and Ravicus Domdred like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.