Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[POLL] What is your *overall* rating for this Pre-Alpha Release 8? (UNOFFICIAL)

Discussion in 'Release 8 Feedback' started by smack, Jul 26, 2014.

?

What is your *overall* rating for this Pre-Alpha Release 8? (1=bad, 5=great)

1. 1

5 vote(s)
    3.9%
  2. 2

5 vote(s)
    3.9%
  3. 3

28 vote(s)
    21.9%
  4. 4

40 vote(s)
    31.3%
  5. 5

50 vote(s)
    39.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Since I still can't stay logged in longer than 10 minutes in single player mode, and crash just by trying to leave an area or open a door, I can't rate most things since I've never seen them nor able to participate in anything.

When I was finally able to leave an area in single player mode (wasn't possible in multiplayer), I could finally see the overland map since the first time, and was impressed with the changes, but it could still use some tweaking.

I was also impressed with the changes in lighting, although on my screen, even in daytime, everything is way too dark. The lights and candles are awesome. The firepits, and especially the fireplaces were impressive.

Since that's the only real changes I was able to see, and nothing else, I gave only a rating of 2. If I hadn't liked those things, it would've gotten a 1.

I don't like the combat system, from the videos I've seen. Can't ever utilize it firsthand, so maybe it would feel different if I could actually experience it.

I think housing architecture is ugly and doesn't have a real feel. It's better than in the beginning. But the size of people in comparison to rooms make me feel like a giant in a dollhouse. Not only that, but staircases are set up terribly impractical for getting to your things on upper floors. It still has design elements that make me think an American, used to living in cheap tract homes, designed them. Sorry to be so blunt, but I know no other way to get a point across.

I still think the game has good potential, but the old school elements really get to me - texting, artificial feel of npc dialog, too many crafting supplies. Can't I just have perma tools at a station?

Anyway, I'm not really able to comment on most items you posted because I simply can't access them.

Lord Lonn Bimmer and smack like this.
  2. Stormblessed

Stormblessed Avatar

This was the first release I've had the chance to try. I give it a 4/5 mostly for reasons having to do with my desires to have it so close to Ultima Online. The most disappointing thing to me was the world map, (I loved the open world of UO, where you could stumble across towns and dungeons/monsters.) That being said, things need to change for things to move forward and get better. The deck building and random glyphs is a great idea that makes combat, especially PvP, more interesting to me. This is a great beginning and I hope moving forward will continue to improve and enhance both features from UO, as well as innovative new ideas. Happy to be a part of this process.

smack likes this.
  3. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

I gave it a 4. I think overall it was fun. The new combat system surprisingly is pretty fun which I did not expect at all. I did not get to pvp kept meaning to because I really want to pvp in this game but couldn't bring myself to. But I have a hard time in group/social settings so instead I tested it in pve and it worked out pretty well. Next release I will try to make it a point to go into a pvp zone at least once though. I did end up spending a lot of my play time trying to make effective deck builds and skill setups and that did take up quite a bit of my play time. Next release I will go in with a better idea of what to expect I think.

The status indicators worked well at least when it came to showing debuffs on my enemies. We really need to be able to move those ui elements around though. It is hard when your health bar and your targets health bar is on the top left of the screen and the combat bar is on the bottom. In games I always move those things towards the bottom center so I am not constantly having to look all over my screen.

The new scene was decent I guess I am hoping in the future there will be the potential for big invasions at spots like that camp. It wasn't really that exciting though when it was just a couple kobolds. There wasn't really much to see or do in the area otherwise, though I guess the tents looked nice.

Only spotted a fire elemental once or twice but it looked pretty good.

Slowing down when walking through npcs was annoying though probably better then just walking through everyone like we are ghosts or something. I think we should push npcs out of the way personally, or they could just move out of our way. The target highlights like I have said before I really do not like in fact they are something I can say I outright hate. They look horrible not to mention in some cases just seem outright silly. Like why do I need a whole door to highlight? I can see from the curser that I can interact with it! I really hope they either give us the option to turn this off completely or at least tone it down. I miss the glyph or whatever it was they had in previous releases. Sure imo it was still a bit too much but it was leaps and bounds above this. Ok sorry rant over.

smack likes this.
  4. TheOneEyedJack

TheOneEyedJack Avatar

I had a blast during this release, more fun than any of the previous releases. I do have a few suggestions that may already be in the works but I figure I might as well state them anyway :)

1. Fire Elementals were a little over powered, it would be nice to see a defensive skill that would get rid of them fairly quick (Maybe not in one shot but more like 2 shots)

2. Stuns were abused quite a bit. Even with stun resistance and a stun breaking special it was hard to keep moving when you got ganged up on. It would be neat to see a stun reflect ability or something that granted immunity for a short duration.

3. This is thinking pretty far ahead but an interactive tutorial of how the deck works, a better explanation of how some of the focus skills go hand in hand with the decks and some clarification on locked vs unlocked would be beneficial.

4. Being able to intercept heals/beneficial spells meant for your opponent from his ally would be fun. An ability that steals the next beneficial spell would make 2v1 more competitive.

Vision OpenWorld, Retro and smack like this.
  5. Jaqknife

Jaqknife Avatar

Combat felt clunky to me. I was concentrating too much on what card was going to pop up instead of the action on the screen.

smack likes this.
  6. Bainks

Bainks Avatar

Ok so i didn't get to clarify why I gave this a 5/5 earlier, because I was using my phone. So here we go.

First off i want to openly disclose, this was my first release I have played. I cannot comment on Crafting at all, as i barely touched it. I will at a later date for sure though, and am really looking forward to it.

So PvE side of things I only went into the mines, it was a mediocre experience. I really didn't find that I needed to go there other than farm some mobs for some coin for armor. I would really like to see some actual reason to go to some dungeons other than money, and places to farm crystals and ore nodes. I would like there to be a dungeon that has something behind it, some sort of darkness or evil entity that I would really want to run. Even a boss at the end that I get to fight for some minor rare materials to gain access to, or plans for weapons or armor. Give me a reason to PvE, because so far all I could do was PvP.

Before I touch on PvP, I want to touch on the combat system. WOW just WOW. I love it, no min maxing, none of the other issues I hate in other MMO's. I loved it, I started with a locked deck, as that is what I was used to. Then I watched this video If you have not watched this you need to! It really breaks things down as far as decks. As I stated I started with locked decks, and pure mage. I did VERY well the first day. I however could not take on more than one person, and found myself with no heals, and a fast focus burn. However, the damage I did was stellar. Then I watched that video and everything changed. I only had a locked spell for my 2 heals, and went for plate and Bludgeon. WOW WOW WOW. Huge difference. I really fooled around with the tree's and found myself a very very nice template, I was suddenly able to take on 2 or 3 people at times. It was so intuitive, and new to me. I loved how it was random, but preset. I loved that I constantly had to pay attention to everything on my screen, it kept me looking at every aspect of the fight.

Now on to PvP. Holy crap guys, I have not had PvP like this since UO. Truly, it was absolutely amazing! The fights at the Brave Coast with Lord Spaz, Espada and Storm Blessed, the fights at Lord British's Castle, all absolutely memorable. Myself, Lord Spaz, Espada, Storm Blessed, and Riven held the bridge two nights ago, outside of Lord British's Castle, and fought of an onslaught of players. Burningtoad even logged in and we fought him back as well. Burningtoad went into Dev god mode, constantly healing 10hp, and we were able to burn him down and kill him twice! It was all in good fun as we yelled "STAY OFF THE DANM BRIDGE!" lol. Just an absolutely memorable time. There was also the numerous 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, and whatever v whatever at the castle. Complete Chaos. I genuinely have not enjoyed a game this much in years. On Sunday I got off work and logged in at 8am, then logged off at 12am. I just could not stop playing.

In short, I believe the game is headed into the right direction, and cannot wait to see what is next. I made a lot of friends this weekend, and wanted to say thank you to a few people. Lord Spaz, Espada, Blessed Storm, the Vengeance crew, Exodus Slum, Net, Halloween Nightmear, Seorsa, John Connors, and all the others that we played with and against this weekend, it was an honor killing you and being killed by you.
    Joseph Stalin, I hope you read this part. I cannot stand you. I will forever hunt you down and slay you. When the reputation system goes live, I will gladly go red making myself your personal reaper!

Lord Spaz, Retro and smack like this.
  7. Dusty Macd

Dusty Macd Avatar

I gave it a 3, compared to when I last tried it it looks a lot better and ran smoothly.. Where it falls short is it's main focus, PVP and i believe combat in general.. the card system is both ver complicated and not very intuitive.. it is clunky with the deck system... I don't feel it is the right system for this style of game.. if I wanted a card deck game I would play Heathstone or magic...

Caliya, draykorinee and smack like this.
  8. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

The game is just a long, long way from being playable. And I still don't understand what the game is about.

There's PvP, but why? Am I fighting for guild castles, like L2? Is it about economic domination, like Eve or Archage? Is there some seesaw of control like warhammer, DAoC, GW2? Is it some arena ladder like WoW or LoL?

While I don't really like the combat system, I don't know what combat is for either. Is PvP so optional it has no real point (so I won't bother)? Are there going to be 5.10.20.40 man instances and epic raids like WoW where everyone's min/maxing and crunching spreadsheets for the perfect build/rotation/group make-ups? Is there going to be hours and hours of grinding / farming for stuff? Or are things mostly scaled to be soloable with moderate difficulty, doing whatever? Perhaps I just make a farm and raise cats, so I don't even care about the combat system.

9. Malekin McKracken

Malekin McKracken Avatar

Mountains, Rocks, SAND and HEAT!! far from home
    Looking at the Game with fresh Eyes - I pledged and got access just in time to see this latest iteration (R8)..... all told, very good (4 of 5) - I am very impressed, but I too had a lot of game crash and log in issues that kept it one point off of top notch. After digging thru the posts and some video footage - I can't wait to apply some tactics and missing information to my game-play on the next go round..... sure would be nice to have a Sandbox version that stays available to practice skills and mechanics on.

smack likes this.
  10. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

I gave it a 3 of 5, since I like the combat, crafting and house decoration system, but I'm missing the single player elements (and no, a story doesn't count, I'm looking for depth in characters and interactions, quests and motivation; otherwise I see no reason why there should be an offline mode at all...)

Hazard, Kaisa and smack like this.
  11. Khloec

Khloec Avatar

I always like each release generally but this is the first time i have given a 5. I thought the combat was excellent. To much fun i got carried away at times. I may have to repent next release and get my karma levels back to positive. I think the new players will love this system, something new like combat that's got a rethink will always attract new players. If you manage to be innovative in each area of gameplay as you are doing at the moment then the future looks bright.

Liked most everything, but whoever had the idea, to stick doors on the LM house after a patch.... It was much better open downstairs. I would like the option to have doors on or off myself, maybe a right click door/no door option would be good and keep everyone happy.

Open PvP Areas (7 Open PvP Zones, PvP Balance (NOT) )
    I know balance wasn't there but it was a goodish attempt. Damage was obviously favored to blades and fire. Which allowed all play styles to do a degree. The Brave Coast was my favorite, open spaces where i could run around which suit me. The smaller ones with the roundabout in the middle were also fun for for breaking LOS and such. It felt at times like a racing circuit, being chased or chasing with not enough focus to halt them but it was fun. At times when the hunter became the hunted as the others focus had recharged was funny in the extreme. Me and one chap must have chased each other around that roundabout for 15 mins. We laughed about it afterwards when HE re spawned :)

Combat Systems (Positioning, Cover / Line of Sight, Interrupts / Casting Bar, Jumping, Fizzle, Misguided Missiles)
    I used LOS and cover a lot if my cards didn't come up and i was able to and it it seemed to work. I got interrupted quite a bit myself but was unsure how much fizzle i dished out.. Jumping got me out of root a number of times, i think.

Damage Types & Resistances (Fire Resistance)
    I did get hit at times for 75+ damage and did see someone get hit for 96, a melee, think swords. The armors all seemed to increase longevity against melee but im unsure of the numbers. A fire elemental seemed to take negligible damage from fireballs but didn't like lightning to much, which was good to see this early in testing. I didn't manage to get that far into the right side of the fire skill list, as there were more interesting skills to pick.

- Combat Skills (Innate Skills, 23 New Skills, Focus Skills)
    I looked and read most of the skill lists. It all seemed well thought out but i will have to play with to see myself. What we had was a little confusing as i didn't know if some of those innate skills you needed to advance to the next level actually did anything at the moment. I figured not.
    Focus skills were well thought out. I liked the 2 deck rotation skills especially. I played most of the weekend with them both on 3 and by the end all on 5. I liked them flying through my bar.

- Glyph Combat and Deck Building (Multiple Decks, Gear Links, Locked Spells, Slugs, Fully Locked Option)
    I liked the Character stats sheet. All the deck building was well designed really. I like the UI of it all, some good work went into designing it and it was good you could keep it open while you bought up combat and watched those glyph's rotating, allowing you to stay in there while tweaking.
    Locked spells were very handy. I did play most of the release without any but i did experiment to begin by locking a few skills i would need in an emergency. The cool down was very long on some of them, especially root. But that is good to see and in so early.I can imagine when released we will be spending a lot of time in deck building. When dragging skill to the locked bar however, it was always a little off the slot, seemed to take the reference point of the mouse and not the dragged icon which could be at times a good distance from the cursor. And i did not equip a deck at one stage and it puzzled me for a while why i could only get 4 spell slots.

- New Creatures (Fire Elemental)
    Liked the fire elemental, and also Dread Lord Lum hanging around on the docks.
    -
    - NPC Collision
    Peeved me off as i was always running into them, well at least they apologize. I didn't notice if it was in pvp as it was all a bit hectic for me, but would hope there will be no push through against players.

- Target Highlight on Interactive Objects
    Can see why its been done as it is needed , but it was useless in the pvp for me as wasn't enough of, and was a bit to much in more less needed places like doors or on yourself even. Just needs toning up and down in different settings for me, and a little less bright, apart from pvp.
    One of my pet hates was Tab targeting, if there were many people around trying to relocate your previous target before you unlocked and healed was a chore and got me killed a few times. I would love a last target key please. I can remember seeing a hold on target self but i couldn't change the default key on there from memory so didn't use. That would have helped but still please a last target key.

12. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Those aspects will come, and it's rather too early to judge the game as a whole. I've been answering these polls each release based on the content delivered in that release.

Right now, there is NO Offline mode since they need metrics and other data, only a single player online mode. The rest of the game will come, just not all at once. Always best to take each Release for what it is focusing on rather than expecting a completed game.

smack, Lord Trady of Blix and Kaisa like this.
  13. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

I thought R8 was the best release to date by FAR. Not only did it have PvP, but with the glyph combat system I was able to adventure through dungeons much more efficiently. I made it through that dragon cave dungeon where we loot the eggs out of the crates at the end, and also though the dungeon with the satyers, without dying one time. (Although I came close with those satyer warriors).

Retro and smack like this.
  14. smack

smack Avatar

Yep, the intent really is to show the community's overall sentiment towards each specific release. If the devs are high-fiving each other and breaking out the champagne yet the community is scoring the specific release low, we might have a problem. It's also hoped the relative scoring shows an upward trend by the time the game is complete.

Having said that, no rating or feedback is right or wrong. And I do thank everyone that has voted and given feedback, especially those that have done so in all the previous polls.

15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

There isn't much in the game that isn't MMO specific. Even with the online single player it is just a single player version of the MMO.

AndiZ275 likes this.
  16. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

Well, I did rate the content of release 8 and not the game as a whole. But I can't give it a higher rating because of the points I mentioned. And since I'm not a PVPer or want SotA to become another MMO, I can't rate it higher, since the content I'd like to see isn't here yet and I can only rate what I see. And many of the people here, that gave high ratings rated it according to the now included content in release 8, that they wanted to see (PvP and combat ;)). So should I abstain from rating the release, because the content I'd like to see is far from here yet (and me getting more and more doubtful from release to release)?

Mata likes this.
  17. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

THE RESULTS OF THIS POLL ARE ALWAYS THE SAME

18. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

not really. they normally fall on 4 having the most votes.

Khloec and Kaisa like this.
  19. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Mine have varied from release to release. I've given 5s to a couple of releases and either a 2 or 3 to Release 6 because of the Item/UI lag and crafting bugs that made it nearly unplayable for me.

Kaisa likes this.
  20. Floors

Floors Avatar

Wait, where the the other 3 pvp zones ?

Arena, 2 forest and the beach... that's 4 ???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.