[POLL] What Purpose does Housing Serve?

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Vyrin, Sep 15, 2013.

?

What do you think are the three (3) most important purposes that housing serves? Choose 3 only!

1. Storage

75.6%
  2. Safety (from attack/theft)

23.8%
  3. Personal Expression in Design/Decoration

47.0%
  4. In-Game Prestige for Character

24.4%
  5. Economic Gold Sink

7.1%
  6. Operating a Vendor

42.9%
  7. Crafting

36.9%
  8. Support for Friends/"Kin"

17.9%
  9. Guilds

19.6%
  10. Role-Play (becoming more a part of the story and world)

41.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larawyn Skjaldmaer

Larawyn Skjaldmaer Avatar

Housing for Storage:

I'm coming at this from a role-player's perspective, so please do keep that in mind.

I think it would be great, if housing didn't have much of anything to do with storage SOLEY. I have always liked to see housing used for expression, guilds, role-play ect. Even more specifically when housing is limited.

A solution (we have implemented before) was allowing storage out of banks to have the ability to have as much capacity as houses, so that those who wanted a lot of storage didn't NEED a home. This allowed homes to be really about interaction for vendors, socializing and role-play.

So maybe a good question to ask, on another thread is:

If you had the ability to upgrade your bank storage to the equivelent of a house, would you still want a house? (With the understanding that the cost to upgrade storage would be less then buying a house, and would not "decay" quite so easily, to put out some suggestions.)

Lara

deryk likes this.
  2. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

I certainly would still want one for precisely the reasons you mention.

Lara of Grimmwold likes this.
  3. AuroraWR

AuroraWR Avatar

I would still look for a house (depending on the type of character I play) for RP reasons. However, if I was playing more of a ranger or a traveling sales person, I would be all over the bank storage.

Lara of Grimmwold likes this.
  4. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

A house is my in-game presence when I'm not there. It's my anchor in the world.

rild, Koldar and nightshadow like this.
  5. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

My priority for housing is 99% role-play, with the remaining 1% split evenly between expression and storage. Having a vendor is nice if you're in a location that makes it worthwhile, and each of the other reasons definitely has merit, but are not of any significant concern to me personally.

deryk, rild and AvatarAcid like this.
  6. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

I ticked Storage and Personal Expression in Design/Decoration. I am still in the MineCraft fan club, I wish you were able to use materials and craft your own house in some way.

Exactly what you said about a vendor. I don't have a clue yet really as to how a personal vendor in your own home will benefit you. I suspect that a home out in the "suburbs" isn't the best place to stash items for sale... I can't see every single house being placed well enough to benefit everyone in an equal manner, so I'd really like to hear more on that aspect from the Devs. Especially if plot placement is going to factor into business due to the location of your estate.

7. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

When you hoard items in the game you need lots of space to sort out things.
    Another reason why the house works better for storage.

8. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

The most important thing about limited housing is that its ONE Land deed per account for a fair distribution, So why isn't that in poll

Ara likes this.
  9. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Storage/Vendor/Crafting...

Hope to have every crafting table at home asap YAY!

NirAntae likes this.
  10. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

Vendor guild storage for me. I am part of a community who financed our housing so its all about the guild, there is no way I can afford my own house.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I really couldn't pick only three but I did my best. Honestly I'd say almost all of them for the most part.

12. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

Yeah tough call - lots of good choices. I'd have to say safety, as that looks to be what the more substantial towns/cities were seemingly designed for in this particular game, even though I'm sure most people will quickly be able to protect themselves. Roleplay would be 2nd, as that's really what this is all about (not speaking of thees/thous or hitting you with a trout). Areas run by guilds also seem to be proactive and can add a good measure of community via player driven events if the leaders aren't too egotistical and/or recruit-crazy.

Yeah, mass hoarding is good too, but I would hope there would be some sort of mechanism to allow the Thieves Guild to get wind if treasure piles hit Smaug-like levels. Expanding on that I'd like to see more spawn attacking a city the more affluent it becomes. It would be a nice gold-sink to see people pouring money into defenses to keep their 'precious' intact.

13. Bayard2

Bayard2 Avatar

Lara does bring up a good point. If the bank held as much storage space as a home does...and the game had an "auctioneer" a player could easily do without a house (like most mmo's do)...Oh also a place to farm!

Now I chose a house for storage/vendors/rp I do like collecting all the random stuff we come across and I do RP somewhat so its nice to "invite friends over" and show off your decorating skills lol. Housing isn't necessary but it was one of the nice things in UO...we used to call the people who sat in their homes most of the time "porch sitters" lol

14. Lord Woengus

Lord Woengus Avatar

For me housing is for rp, storage and having my little place in the world.
    It's nice for vendor and crafting as well.

15. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

A house can be any of the things on that list, except for safety from attack, since in SotA you already in a village or whichever, the house doesn't really add another level of protection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.