POLL: Your opinion of the NPC Dialog/Quest User Interface

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladamir Begemot, Mar 8, 2019.

?

Groups of 3, answer once per group, Like, Don't Care, or Don't Like.

1. I like the Dialog User Interface

25 vote(s)
    20.7%
  2. I don't care about the Dialog User Interface, one way or the other

9 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. I don't like the Dialog User Interface

79 vote(s)
    65.3%
  4. I like the font size as it is

21 vote(s)
    17.4%
  5. I don't care about the font size

25 vote(s)
    20.7%
  6. I don't like the font size or would like more choices

55 vote(s)
    45.5%
  7. I like the CONTINUE button and how it functions

16 vote(s)
    13.2%
  8. I don't care about the CONTINUE button

31 vote(s)
    25.6%
  9. I don't like the CONTINUE button and how it functions

51 vote(s)
    42.1%
  10. I like having to scroll back up to see dialog

9 vote(s)
    7.4%
  11. I don't care about having to scroll back up

15 vote(s)
    12.4%
  12. I don't like having to scroll back up to see dialog

79 vote(s)
    65.3%
  13. I like the keyword system

54 vote(s)
    44.6%
  14. I don't care about the keyword system

18 vote(s)
    14.9%
  15. I don't like the keyword system

37 vote(s)
    30.6%
  16. I like the dark color scheme

32 vote(s)
    26.4%
  17. I don't care about the color scheme

37 vote(s)
    30.6%
  18. I don't like the dark color scheme or would like more choices

30 vote(s)
    24.8%
  19. I like the position of the dialog window

25 vote(s)
    20.7%
  20. I don't care about the position

30 vote(s)
    24.8%
  21. I don't like the position of the dialog window

42 vote(s)
    34.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Please answer before commenting or reading further.

There are 7 sets of questions, each with 3 possible answer. Choose either Like/Neutral/Don't Like for each set you wish answer.

At a minimum answer the first question set. If you want to go in depth answer the further question sets.

The reason I did this was because @Chris seemed a bit surprised when I mentioned that the Dialog UI is really bad. So rather than debating I figured it best to ask. I could be wrong, maybe it's just me that thinks it's terrible.

However, if the UI is terrible but the developers don't think so, we might be stuck with this UI or a similar version in the next Episode, and that would make me very sad. So lets see.

Time Lord, Astirian, Rinaldi and 3 others like this.
  2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Random puppies to prevent someone writing here in a way that influences votes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Evadrepus

Evadrepus Avatar

I think you're failing to point out the dogs that would be best found in Adonis - Samurai pets.

[​IMG]

4. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

i don't really have a problem with any aspect of it. however, i do like more options.

i will now influence all the votes.
    [​IMG]
    :)

i could not resist. please don't let this derail the conversations.

5. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

All is IMHO - I want quest system kicked off from the game, it gives none, it very badly implemented, it not interesting, the journal is annoying. I see zero bright spots in it, the faster it would be kicked off from the game, the better it will be for game health.

6. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

The dialog UI isn't very friendly and having to scroll is painful, but better writing could improve it immensely. Perhaps we could have a simplified and complex UI for talking with NPCs. Simplified would be only keywords and complex would be more story driven.

7. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

i think we kind of have this now. some npc will respond to keywords not in the list. side quests, etc. this is one the aspects i hope we keep with the new system. want to get though the main quests quickly, click away. want more back story or some side quests, have a chat with them.

Jason_M and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  8. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Looks like I messed up a bit, typical with polls.

Don't like/like the keyword system in relationship to what? Viola was very confused taking the poll.

So in my mind it was vs. other types of systems, such as dialog trees, but it's not clear there. Ah well. Puppies.

(And then I typed on her account. We're sharing her computer while I wait for parts :'( )

9. oplek

oplek Avatar

wtf. What's with the beheaded corgi?

Astirian and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Just needed to put some space between discussion and the poll, for fairness sake.

11. Evadrepus

Evadrepus Avatar

New masks for next release.

Astirian and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  12. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Lol I guess he is kinda weird.

13. oplek

oplek Avatar

I just tend to feel like the overall presentation is uninspired. It's not engaging.

Astirian, Katu and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I had to laugh so hard!

So far i find the results really surprising.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  15. Katu

Katu Avatar

I prefer the "skip" "accept" "complete" type of dialogs.

The dialog itself, is pretty dull. But, thats maybe wanted feature, simplicity. I find it bit hard to find where I should go and when I go, I'm not sure if I'm in right place anyways after all. I never know if I missed some discussion path, so I just keep smashing keywords.

I admit, I don't play SotA for a story, I play to progress my character. However, normally I try to complete what ever I can and here I am, about 250-300h after release and I don't have my shroud.

I'm having hard time to complete the main quest, even thou I have character that can just run down everything theres coming. You can blame me for "not understanding", but the UI and me, are not compatible.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  16. smack

smack Avatar

The NPC dialog / quest UI is total crap.

17. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

What is the purpose of this thread?
    Even the dev team admits that the quest system is broken, and are going to rebuild it, so I'm unsure what good is expected from continued discussion of its failings.

18. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

(the keyword question was a mistake, shouldn't be in there as that's too big of a question, not adequately expressed.)

It's not about the questing system but the LOOK and functionality of the UI. During Chris's Wednesday livestream he expressed surprise that we aren't satisfied with the UI design, and said that someone else high in the ranks, probably @Lord British , is fine with it.

If that is the case we are in grave danger of having the same cramped, small font, IMO fugly UI for EP 2 even if the questing system gets an overhaul. They do like building on old systems (remember, this was just the chat window..... moved into the center of the screen with a keyword bar added.)

I thought I better check in and see if it's me or them that's crazy. It appears that I am not the crazy one.

19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

I would say improving the quests, to me, necessarily includes improving the dialog system as well. How the dialog is shown. How it is conveyed. How we interact with the npcs. All of this is part and parcel of the questing experience of this game.

I mentioned before, that professional voice narration/acting would be ideal. If that's not possible, then at least hire someone with professional UI design experience to revamp the dialog system.

This game's UI looks like it's designed by developers. (btw, that is not a compliment)

20. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

FIRST IMPORTANT POINT:
    I do not think that the UI is bad overall.
    I just think there are a few disturbing and distracting parts in the game play which should be removed to provide a better feeling!
    For that reason I posted many threads about that over the last 5 years ...

Remember the "Player xyz is on/offline" in Dialogue Window? One of the most important storyfeeling destroyer we had.
    Well, a few more have to be changed ...

@Sannio, @Lord British, @Chris,
    I want to follow Vladamir and for a very last time and for the sake of a very good user experience,
    I try to make a short summery of those things preventing a good user experience AND especially try to provide creative feedback how to solve it (simple):

1. People are visually aligned. It is our most important sense organ.
    All information we receive (especially with our eyes) must be processed!
    Because of this, please only show on screen, what is needed - YET. (Player stats if we are attacked or attacking something 'z', not all the time. Auto fade is used with a few things and this is very good.)

2. Please, watch what Kindle has done and why! Why?
    Font and Background is very important for our eyes!
    If you want people to read all those story text, make it an interesting thing, not a challenge for our eyes.
    Not a disturbing and destracting (= annoying) experience! Alot of people told on forum, they knew not what the story is about!
    Make it fun to follow and to read the very good story of Richard!

3. Please, get rid of the input line. Why?
    a) + one line more for text (prevents 'continue' button in over 90%!!!)
    b) it implies, we could write whatever we want. No we can't and this is confusing and after a while annoying, because NPC won't understand most of our questions!

4. While in conversation mode (dialogue window), please don't open other windows.
    Don't close a conversation window for no reason - NPC just walking away!
    Let it happen like "Closing in 5 Minutes" or "I have to go to bed. Meet you later!"

5. People often don't know what to ask (again), because keywords are highlighted again or won't fade to grey!
    Please consider this easy improvement: Every former asked (klicked) word will be shifted into 'asked before'.
    If a keyword provides NEW information it shifts back to Main line! Why?
    So we know in each conversation, what we asked the NPC the last time. Never get the feeling, we are listening to the same answers again and again ...
    If asked about all keywords, remaining: [Farewell] [Buy] (merchants) [asked before]

Improvement: clicking on 'Story so far' shows up a window with faces of NPC and player providing the whole dialoge in a seperate - good looking - window (left or right of screen)...

6. Please, get rid of underlined keywords in text as standard!!! Why?
    It interrupts the reading flow. Our eyes "jump" around because of all that underlined words! It's exhausting for our eyes ...
    Of course only if you really try to read the text. But for sure more underlined words bring us down ... Try it!

KEEP IT EASY AND SIMPLE! --> This was one of the most impressing moments, as Richard showed one of the first demos!
    The screen wasn't covered with too many information ...
    Just show on screen what we really need to see - yet!

I believe those few changes will give another experience, even for offline mode!
    Remember the effect of omitting the message "Player xyz is on / offline"!

Last but not least: if you don't believe me or think it does not matter, try this:
    Create a new character and play the intro of every path (love, truth, courage)
    READ EVERY SENTENCE starting with Arabella!
    (skip the learn part with Anais).

The second time change this:
    1. Remove underlined keywords! How does it feel without all those underlined words?
    (other way to feel what it is doing over time to our eyes and our patience:
    Make a copy of a page of your favorite book and underline 2 words in every line on it!"
    Read it carefully. After that read the original page. I hope you feel the difference :)

2. Close windows and count how often they Pop up again and again and ask yourself:
    WHY???

Every 'why' is a reason for a player to feel a small pain while playing the game and this is also a good reason for UI improvement :)

I am very very hopeful about the changes coming over the next releases ...

Thank you for your attention. Thank you Vladamir for your thread to improve the game :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.