Portalarium's Health

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mugly Wumple, Sep 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Wait, are you saying they took the bet and paid up? Cuz I had a post named after me (yes, I like bringing it up to show the absurdity of it). Prior to that I made a similar offer, but no one would bet me. :( (This was circa late 2016/early 2017, I think).

Arradin likes this.
  2. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

What book??

3. Crowell

Crowell Avatar

The one of which @2112Starman gives the synopsis of course.

4. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

I always laugh when I hear Reddit. I don't think anyone likes anything over there. The same can be said about gaming sites like morph.com. When you read so many negative comments about every game you wonder what games people are playing.

Game developers all face the same challenges in trying to deliver a game that people like and want to play.

There was a post early that was too long to quote about games releasing with certain base mechanics or features. That is not quite true. Such as GW2 which only recently added mounts. As many cool features GW2 has there is a lot of negative feedback on that game as well. Lack of a dedicated healing class, removal of the GvG system which was such a major part of the success of the original GW. There are class specs that are useless and plenty of unaddressed class balance issues.

ESO which had a horrible release and is still plagued with class imbalances no effective tank class and if players don't play a particular race with a particular build your out of luck for being a part of any end game high level content.

FFXIV was so horribly done they they had to reboot the game. And there is no PvP or RvR which was mentioned as a standard for MMOs.

Then of course we have our Wildstar, Vanguard, and Warhammer, Bless MMOs which didn't cut it.

Many other kickstarter games basically use the same formula as a AAA game. Once funding is secure they hide away only to talk on occasion about features but giving very limited opportunities to test the game until it is done. Port has decided to be completely open with development and give gamers an opportunity to see the good, bad, and ugly of game development.

The biggest issue I have with reviews that I read is the miss information that is contained in many of them. Either they did not play the game or they only played on such a limited basis that their information is just wrong. For example, one person wrote on steam that they didn't like answer the questions and getting locked into a class. That is not even true since we have no classes in this game and raising a skill to 40 takes very little time.

I have 5 completely distinct difference avatars that hold their own in PvE and a two that are more set up for PvP. I am thinking about doing some game videos myself because that could be a good way to showcase gameplay.

5. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

@Dulayne

It never occurred to me, but the comparison to Elite Dangerous is very apt, from the origins, the customer profile, the feature depth, etc.

I'm a big E:D fan, but I do have to give the nod to SotA. It's the better game despite being younger and less renowned. Part of that might be that the developers knew what they were doing and got the bones right.

I think they're doing just fine and we have nothing to worry about. Whinging from players have harmed the long-ter health of more games than developer incompetence. Keep that in mind.

ebonmark, Dulayne, Astirian and 4 others like this.
  6. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Port spends nothing on that other than the time of their people who show up and do the VIP tours. If anything, SotaCon pays them for their time and transportation. Fan-run cons are not just a thing, they're decades old.

For those who think they're changing offices because of money problems, it turns out that their current 3-year lease is up next month, so they had to find a new place anyhow! And the new place has already been found, we should hear more about it next month.

We already know from Ep1 that systems come before story. This is the point where they would still be working on the outline of what the story will be.

ROFL. Also some of it was delayed, I didn't catch the "QSOTA" refreence for a few more seconds. Deep state? So deep it's Y = -1000!

Witcheypoo and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  7. Brewton

Brewton Avatar

Duhhh that was answered already. Read the followups.

I'm sure lease prices are sky high in Austin, but since you know all, why didn't they just renew their lease for another 3 years?

8. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

I thought we were not supposed to bash other communities yet you people always bring up Reddit and MMORPG?

Bad info like what you said just before that?

Guild Wars 2 really has no dedicated class of anything, and yet, I can pick a base class, with weapons and skills, and be a dedicated healer if I wanted to. Unless you mean a healer class to never use a damage dealing ability, because then WOW and FFXIV doesn't have "dedicated" healers then either. I would think people here would appreciate the ability to pick and choose abilities and not be locked into a single class.

And FFXIV has no PVP? That is a flat lie. And it does have a sense of RVR too. A very basic sense.

Crowell likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.