Positive Question for you all

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by macnlos, Feb 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Lot's of discussion on what is wrong, missing or incomplete in SotA. Let me ask this question.

What systems or features in the game do you really like AND you feel are in a complete state?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Fionwyn Wyldemane and Bayard like this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

mail. they got that right the first time: i have seen almost no bugs reported on it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  3. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

Housing is great - more feature complete than any other MMO with housing in my opinion.

4. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

While farming is not in a complete state, still needs fertilizers, and not something I find fun, but it is productive. I think fishing is done, again, not something I find fun myself though. I am more about combat, and that seems to always be changing.

5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

No idea. What i can tell you is that the game isn't what i had expected. It's far off the mark. But as you can see i am still here, still playing and playing SotA more than all other games.
    So it seems they did a lot of things right ^^

6. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Hey Mac... I thought about fishing too but I think I consider the whole butchery and cooking part of it as well. Really haven't finished that up.

I guess when I think "complete" I think about it flushed out and integrated with all the other systems that makes sense. Heck, I could even imagine getting some of the scales off the Lava Fish and using those for a type of armor that is fire resistant.

7. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

When UO did the whole house building system I thought that was a pinnacle type moment. But I agree with you, out of all the systems I can think of, housing is the most flushed out.

Fionwyn Wyldemane and Cordelayne like this.
  8. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

It's not "sexy" but yes, I think they nailed it and I haven't heard much on it.

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  9. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

I always liked the in game radios too and thought that was done well.

10. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

For me, it's no hard cap. I progress at my own pace and don't worry what level or build other people are. And, as a mostly solo player that enjoys the occasional community event, I can be self-reliant. I know many say that self-reliance kills the economy but I seem to be able to spend lots of gold on player crafted items just fine.

Elwyn, Chatele, CatherineRose and 8 others like this.
  11. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

The following are complete and work IMO:
    • Agriculture
    • Fishing
    • Decorating
    • Vending
    • Combat
    • Property & Town management
    • Crafting in general
    You can improve all of these systems with tweaks and new features, but the systems work well enough to be considered complete IMO. An MMO is always evolving and there's no code on the planet that is running without bugs. However, all of these systems are used heavily in-game today.

They work... enough. They work so well that I'm jealous of what more creative people have been able to do with each of these systems.

The one thing for me that is broken, but still some people can make it work somehow is the quest system. I've rarely had a quest work. I wonder if that's due to the age of my character though, and I probably should reset my quest history. I think resetting is possible anyway. I never did that and it's probably why I have quests breaking often.

Does a mob glitch once in a while? Yep.
    Is there lag from time to time? Yep.
    Do I wish I had a list of features a 100 items long? Yep.

The game is released. It's working. It ain't great, but they're getting it there.

I agree completely. I've been in-game everyday with few exceptions for 2.5 years. I'm probably not going away until the game is shuttered.

12. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Thanks for the input. BTW, I just saw your signature and you govern the Welcome Center? We have never me but always wanted to thank the person that did that. Well done you!

13. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

Thank you. New arrivals are SotA's future and I want to do everything I can to help them get a friendly and knowledgeable start.

14. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

In case anyone doesn't know, I have a lot of respect for Titania. I agree with most of this too. My two objections would be Fishing and Vending. The rest of it I totally agree, sure there can be some tweaks and improvement but they are complete.

Fishing I responded in a previous post, I don't think it is done until it is integrated with butchery and cooking. Plus, there are no treasures which Port has already talked about too.

Vending is a bear for me. It is complete until they at least provide a ways to sell groups of things. Until they do it you can't sell a "set" of things like Armor. Or how about the 3 rods that make up a staff or something like that.

Titania Xylia and that_shawn_guy like this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Although it still needs some balance, I really like the combat system.

16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Exactly, @Titania Xylia;

And I hope that everyone gets this, and keeps it in mind when they use words like "Complete" in reference to any system in the game.

Thank you for pointing it out.

17. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

The way I describe the fishing system and it not being integrated well with other systems like butchery and cooking; I would say that it is incomplete. To me that is like saying I want a radio for my car, buying it and then setting it beside the car and calling done or complete. Every system/feature is part of a broader ecosystem. Not integrating or connecting it to that ecosystem to me does not seem complete. Interested to see your thoughts on that.

18. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

It's subjective... Everyone will have their own definition. I accept yours even if I might not agree with it.
    Many of the fish are butcherable, and have recipes... I will take your word for it if you say that not all are, or do.

19. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

We could use a "Reply" button. But yes, it's complete enough even without that. (Just realized the reply wish last night).

The bank works really well (except for the Take All bug having arisen for chests inside of it).

Enchanting and Masterworking is always exciting to me. The future updates are things I'm looking forward to but it's solid as it is. I know people complain about the RNG but I like XCOM, RNG doesn't bother me too much.

I love housing and deco, and feel like it's in a complete state.

That being said it's missing the giant opportunity of interactivity which takes it from complete and great to earth shattering, ground breaking. It'll be a double back flip slam dunk when the system exists that lets a random person come into my Inn while I'm not there and play chess with another person I've never met. That's double dog done.

Totally disagree on the vendor system being done. There's a list of requests 2 pages long that's been around for years now. There are a lot of noobs who don't get to sell because I haven't been able to bring myself to deal with half an hour of restocking tiny buy orders. I just had to invent a work around so new players can sell me boards while I'm not on... just simple boards.... but it requires books, contracts they buy, and them trusting that I won't screw them. Plus the UI misses a lot of QOL opportunities. Not to mention if it were integrated with housing (ie, see cool weapon, buy it off the rack) it would blow all of our minds out of the back of our head. TBH while I like being a merchant, the vendor interface itself is such a drag after a few years that I just don't want to do it.

This was a hard question though, because there are a lot of things I really like but I don't feel are complete. Combat, I really like it but the animation system and impact and hit box locations (try with daggers, you'll see) are still not done.

That being said, the game is great, there is more stuff to do in it than any of us but @Mac2 and @kaeshiva have time for!

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

i'm pretty sure nobody feels any system in this game is 'complete'. every system can use more polishing, refinement, improvement.

i like the housing, the player vendors, the crafting.

however, i don't like the economy right now. the economy (prices/supply) is really screwed up.

Cordelayne and macnlos like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.