Possible Problem With Masterwork Carpentry Upgrade Skill...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Khalest, Aug 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khalest

Khalest Avatar

I had never preformed the Masterwork Carpentry Upgrade before so thats why i used the thread title i did. I wasnt sure if i had done/not done something or if it was a genuine glitch. Anyhow, i had crafted my first weapon, a 2 handed double bladed copper Great Axe. It ended up with a +2 & descent enhancements. So i wanted to upgrade it & add something using the Masterwork Carpentry Upgrade skill. It said i needed 5 silver ingots & the Crafted Carpentry Equipable, but when i double clicked the recipe it did put the ingredients (the 2 items mentioned above) into the right area but the only button lit was the Salvege one. So i cleared the work area & double clicked the recipe again & once again the Salvage button was the only one lit up. Well it was my first time doing this so i assumed since i did everything else right that it must be the right button. Well...it wasnt, it turned my first crafted weapon into 37 metal scraps & left the 5 silver ingots as they were...[​IMG]
    So did i do or not do something or was it a glitch or what happened?

Paladin Michael likes this.
  2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

It sounds like you had it right, but there might be something else happening. There is a minimum durability required to masterwork. Did your axe have at least 30 points of durability after the enchants?

3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

if you have the recipe in your list then i know you bought that part, but did you buy the masterwork SKILL from a crafting trainer? you need both.

Paladin Michael, Ataniiq and Jaesun like this.
  4. Khalest

Khalest Avatar

Yes the minimum dura is 30 & i had 55 still on mine

5. Khalest

Khalest Avatar

Bought that part? You mean bought the recipe for the axe? Yes i did buy it & yes i also bought & have the Masterwork Carpentry Upgrade recipe & i either bought it from a crafter trainer or a Carpenter, i dont really remember where i bought it...[​IMG]

6. Alley Oop

masterworking requires buying the masterwork recipe from a carpenter AND the masterwork skill from a crafting trainer. is the skill unlocked on your skillsheet?

7. Khalest

Khalest Avatar

Im getting on my offline char right now & she needs the same done to her weapon, so ill check to see if it says Salvage again, but this time if it does i wont try it. Ill wait till we/I get this figured out & ill let you know one way or the other if it worked or not.

8. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Sounds like you just haven't purchased the Masterwork skill yet from the crafting trainer.

Take a visit to Desolis and speak to Dhalia Lock in the Bazaar area.

Paladin Michael and Nelzie like this.
  9. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

As Alley said you need the skill. So bring up the skills window, hit the k key. Then go into the crafting tab. Click on carpentry and look for the masterworks skill. I believe it is a second tier skill on the right hand side. If you haven't trained the skill, which it sounds like you haven't, you can't do any masterworking.

10. Metalton

Metalton Avatar

Could sworn I masterworked something as soon as I was able to learn the recipe.. skills just increase your chances..

Maybe I'm just remembering backwards though ;)

Anyways .Also make sure the item is at full durability.. can't masterworked a damaged item

11. Alioth

Alioth Avatar

I feel your pain, I have also accidentally salvaged some things. Salvage button will only ever salvage stuff, craft button is for everything else. Also be careful when patterning something that you don’t pattern over the wrong object. I have done this also. Word to the wise, always double check what is in your table window before you click the button. Another thing that can help in future is to right click anything in your inventory you would never want to salvage and “lock item”. That protects the item so you can’t accidentally salvage it or pattern in or trade it away. I do this for all my main gear or stuff I’m saving.

12. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Not true. In order to train my masterwork (or enchanting), and not eff up a bunch of actual GOOD weapons, I masterwork and enchant Long Bows that drop from Lich Archers, as well as Heavy Warhammers that drop from Elite Skeleton Footmen all the time. These are always in some state of damage. In fact, I even found that the maximum durability of ALL of these weapons is not displaying correctly via doing this. Like if you get a Long Bow (not shoddy) from a lich archer or elite skeletal archer, and you see something like 32/46, that is definitely not a 46 there at max. It is closer to 100. I know this, because I can masterwork/enchant these bad boys like 4 times. Can't do that with a weapon that is actually at 46 max dur.

13. Khalest

Khalest Avatar

Ok, i dont know what happened the first time but i just got through trying it again with my offline char's axe & it came thru beautifully. (as you can see per the screenshot)...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

@Khalest Did you press "k" go to the crafting tab on the left, then go to carpentry, and look at your skills in the tree there?
    [​IMG]
    That is a super old image, with none of the text on it, but your crafting tree on your offline character is probably filled out, and not filled out on your online character. The one on the right in the second tier is "Masterworking." Also, be sure you have a fully functional carpentry hammer. You might have a broken one that needs repair from a "repair kit - tool"

majoria70 likes this.
  15. Khalest

Khalest Avatar

You mean in the book with all the skills? Yes, otherwise i dont think the skill its self would have been lit like the others are when i have all the ingredients/components. An since once one char knows a skill the others on that account on & offline also automatically know it, that couldnt have been it either. But either way it worked just now when i tried it on my offline chars axe (as im sure you saw the screenshot above). So im going to attribute the first failure to either a random anomaly or user derping...[​IMG]

16. Khalest

Khalest Avatar

I thought id had the masterworking skill for awhile to, but either way i was able to get it done on my offline chars axe (see screenshot above), so i guess it was a random anomaly or user derping xD

A huge thank you shout out to everyone who so quickly & helpfully (if thats a word) came to my rescue. I was really bummed at first because it was the first weapon i had ever crafted...EVER...in any game & i was sad to lose it, esp the way i did. But all of you coming to help me really brought my mood back up, so thx again. I know whenever i have a problem the folks at SotA Forums & Burgers can always either help or make you feel good inside...[​IMG]

Nikko likes this.
  17. Metalton

Metalton Avatar

Ah :)

Had 2 piece of armor I had made and used for awhile before I decided to masterwork them. At first didn't get a craft option, until I tried again after repairing.. just assumed I couldn't masterwork damaged items.. might have had something else going on ;)

18. Alley Oop

no, those are not skills those are recipes. skills are not in a book. open the skill window with k.

you need the recipe and the skill. those are two seperate things purchased from two seperate people.

absolutely not. neither skills nor recipes work like that, they have to be gotten for each character. ...and there's absolutely no mixing of online and offline.

majoria70 likes this.
  19. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Maybe if the durability gets below 30, it is not masterworkable/enchantable. Not sure. I know for sure that the MAX durability must be above 30, though. This much is certain.

20. Khalest

Khalest Avatar

Oh my god, now here folks is proof im not afraid to admit when im wrong. Well Nikko, you were right on the money. I had bought her a new axe that was already enhanced after the loss of the one i made her. Then i saw just earlier i had 5 Silver Ingots in the bank...xD I thought i wonder if i can do the same to a weapon made by someone else. Well i tried & once again the only button lit was Salvage. Then i noticed it was damaged 59/89 durability, so i figured maybe thats why it didnt work before. So i repaired it & sure enough...i was wrong, it still said Salvage. Then i heard a ding & thought about what you said & looked at my skills &....well....i bet i dont have to continue the story...just ck out her new axe in the screenshot...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nikko, majoria70 and Paladin Michael like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.