POSSIBLE PVP "Holy Grail" solution that we all might be able to live with?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Quetzalcoatl, Apr 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Same here. I had hoped PVP would be similar to the NWN servers I played and I think it is shaping up nicely. I still mourn Friendly Fire, but I will still be trying to convince them of some way to implement this. :) However, I think PVP will be very flexible, and with our input during testing will be a great system.

2. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Sincerely, the result of your idea for me would be that, if I was attacked, I would just sit there, wait for the attacker to kill me without even trying to defend myself, instantly rez, and keep playing (and ignoring the pretense PKer) as if nothing had happened. It would just create a nuisance for both me and my pretense attacker.

(And no, I would not try to fight back even if I could potentially loot the attacker should I win. I don't loot other players, ever, not even if I think they deserve it. I don't separate in my mind looting players from real world stealing, so I will never do it.)

I'm still skeptical. Seems like they don't want to leave any space for a player like me, that enjoys PvP only as long as the loser doesn't suffer a setback. So, from my part, what I currently want is a guarantee that opting to never engage in PvP won't result in disadvantages for the player.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Not sure I am following where your skepticism is coming from. I follow your perspective, just not sure I see the setback.

The current setback for death in PvP is the same as the death any other way - minus the ransom. If you pay that ransom it's purely monetary. If they allow for MOBs to loot players, with the ransom system in effect, PvP and non PvP death is the same as far as setbacks.

4. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Let's try it again.

I don't mind (much) having a death penalty in PvE. It's just part of the game.

I mind very much having a death penalty, a setback for defeat, in PvP. I tend to look at it as the winning player maliciously and intentionally choosing to ruin another player's fun for his own enjoyment. I feel bad both when I cause a setback on others and when I suffer a setback caused by others. Thus, PvP with any negative consequences for defeat worth mentioning is something that is never fun, never enjoyable, for me.

So, with the system as currently proposed, I will not take part in PvP. It's not the setback per see; it's the fact that a real person is choosing to cause it to me, that in order to win I have to cause it to others.

(There is also the fact that, in my mind, I equate looting in game with stealing in the real world as far as how unpleasant it feels, both on the giving end and on the receiving end.)

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Here is how I see it. Death has it's sting, cost, penalty. Death is the same when we die at the hands of a player, MOB, or environment.

The PvP aspect is consensual, we choose to have the player element added to death. Any form it comes for us, death happens because we put ourselves into that position.

Setbacks are the same all across the board (assuming MOBs can loot us - with ransom - and ignoring the fact that the environment does not O.O ) We choose to PvP, that is the only difference in PvP death.

6. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

There will be many options for PVP. I doubt Open PVP will work without some sort of setback. Right now that appears to be the Death mechanics (item loss, some sort of stat/xp dept, etc.) and - for PVP specifically - a lock into non-PVP for a set time. If that is too much of a setback then there will be duels and most likely arena type stuff which should be more personal.

As for never engaging in PVP, the only disadvantage right now would be lower rare resource yields, and temporary lockout of "contested" areas. Only Single Player Offline will not be affected by PVP, but I think the current plan will not be punishing yet allow PVP conflicts to impact and be seen throughout the world even by those that avoid it.

I believe the current plan is item loss will be the same in PVE and PVP. The only exception would be any voluntary full loot mechanic they put in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.