1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Post Episode 1 Content Plans (aka the 2 year plan)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Close.

I'm actually against there being easy maps integrated for my town in any shape or form. The whole point of my town is for it to be tricky to navigate. It's not supposed to be fun or easy, and since it's my town that's really what should matter the most. I personally love the in-game maps, they're just not right for my town. SOTAmap is taking that to a greater extreme however, by handing people an easy button that makes any arrangement that I can come up with pointless. I'm hopeful that my town will soon be removed from SOTAmap and no in-game maps will work within Rats Nest.

Stundorn likes this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Ok.

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Oh okay, when we were discussing it, it sounded like you would be okay with the idea of a player creating a map in game with some cartography skill and then selling the map to other players, and the issue you had was really with auto-mapping.

4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

If there were a cartography system that required a skill, that might be ok depending on the details. As it is now however there are maps that you can purchase from NPC's (maybe in the future they will be drops) but the point is that it's not supposed to be easy to map it. It's supposed to be difficult actually. It's still a work in progress at the moment because many of the features I thought would be available do not exist in the game right now. So trying to judge the difficultly level now is pointless. However in the absence of more features, cartography included, I would choose to opt out of Rats Nest being on any map.

5. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

They released a Map Pack 2 either this release or last release. It included the standard orientation Swamp Island 01a. I understand why you say it isn't a priority to actually provide maps that match the template, but as far as I'm concerned correct maps that reflect the actual orientation of the template should have been provided last year.

SoTAMAP has absolutely nothing to do with the maps Portalarium provides ingame. There is nothing that Jakub can do about the template map I posted. I threw in a mention of SoTAMAP because that doesn't work either. It's two different issues and I'd LOVE to see them *both* resolved as part of this 2-year plan. Why even offer new templates if the current templates don't have the supporting ingame Portalarium maps? Is that going to be the same problem in the future?

People have been posting about the new things they'd like to see. I'd like to see this old issue rectified. We all have something we'd like to see - this is mine :)

calkano (PAX) likes this.
  6. nico76

nico76 Avatar

Sorry, but SOTA is not my game anymore. I expected some sort of a whole world experience like e.g. in 3D Skyrim or in 2D UO, not an Ultima IV like walkable outer world map or Neverwinter Nights clone with small 3D patchwork maps. Therefore all of your really very nice suggestions like droppable items or usable ships sound stale to me. So my wish would be, before anything else, a complete change of your map system to an open world system.

7. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

It was made very clear back in Kickstarter that it wouldn't be a seamless world.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  8. Morph

Morph Avatar

Couldn't we just remove Rats Nest entirely? I mean it's sound more like you don't want anyone visiting as you state it's not supposed to be fun :)

Barugon and Fister Magee like this.
  9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

You do realize this was advertised as 'The spiritual successor to the Ultima series..."...

Sean Silverfoot and Barugon like this.
  10. chrisjwhite

chrisjwhite Avatar

Seamless world would be huge. Some areas are probably nearly as big as the main land in Ultima VII. And a seamless world would probably make it harder to add new places.

11. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I'll be honest with my opinion. Most of the things on that list have been promised for years already in various dev videos. I only see a few new things. I really dont see much new hard core technology going in that would alter the game... things like the second update Wow had where you could fly in scenes. So the next 2 years is a bit of the same old thing in day to day playing.

Stundorn and Jens_T like this.
  12. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

My wish list:
    1 ) Better reward on crafting (GM having better item status, higher excepcional chance and getting patterns easielly)
    2) Bard skill tree, with peacemaking, provocation and area buffs for friends;
    3) More end game content, t8+ mobs spots with mini boss and a chests; (like Albion Online)
    4) Better loot reward for high tier mobs;
    5) 10 seconds loading screens... and 30+ in everywhere
    6) Some free for all (PVP) event (scene) with goals and rewards;
    7) Daily world bosses;
    8) Virtue X chaos nodes battles (reward: gathering and crafting bonus if a faction win the event for x days in the battle area);
    9) More freedom and consequences;

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Boris Mondragon likes this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Please link the videos where they made actual promises.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  14. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

I don't think this discussion leads anywhere. Unless @2112Starman knows them by hard it is impossible to find them and highlight the exact moment.
    Many of the ideas sound like they were discussed before or are somehow related to previous stretch goals.

Every Telethon and video they answer player questions with good ideas that eventually maybe will come, for the questions answered on video there is no transcript, let alone a database.

Therefore my recommendation would be to agree to disagree in expectations and what might have been hinted or mentioned before.

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  15. Lained

Lained Avatar

Also remember that they're an open discussion with a healthy dose of Don't Lawyer Me Bro™.

16. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Over the entire ep1 from ks to now there have been countless cool ideas expressed and not yet implemented. Seems like a natural evolution of software design to me. I am sure there is a ton of those ideas in the jira queue now that have the "future" release tag just because there is limited time in a day. And there are some things that won't because they no longer make sense.

I have little doubt when my forum family says that something they expected has not happened yet.

Fionwyn Wyldemane and Lained like this.
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

They may have been discussed before but I don't recall Portalarium making any specific promises since Kickstarter.

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  18. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I'm not about to search for videos but a good place to start is the kickstarter page.

"1.6 M - Shipping Lanes Open for Business: Ports with boats that run on schedules... Safety not guaranteed! (In short be prepared to defend your vessel!)"

Correlates pretty closely to

Navigable Ships: Boats that can move around in water of multiple sizes. This includes boats previously marked as either decorations (ex. Longboat) or homes (ex Pirate Galleon)
    • Ship to Ship Combat: Be able to shoot cannons and catapults and other ranged weapons between ships
    • Sea Monsters: Creatures that can be fought at sea either while swimming, from shore, or while on ships.
    • Ocean Scenes: fully oceanic scenes including random encounters while taking boats between destinations.

19. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

Actually this list is not a promise either. It is features that Portalarium considers / wants to implement over the next five releases. I would be very surprised to see Portalarium making firm promises beyond KS / features they already sold. This development process is too dynamic - as can be seen in the discussion about pledge reward replacements.

20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I never said otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.