Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Post Post-Mortem about Exit To Menu going away

Discussion in 'Release 26 Feedback Forum' started by niteowl57, Feb 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. niteowl57

niteowl57 Avatar

Let's say I'm standing in a scene, lost track of time, realize it's around midnight because even with my light, I can't see much, recently figured out I shouldn't have gone in there to begin with and I'm afraid to take a step or something will be all too happy to kill me, the exits aren't on the compass, and I have no clue which way to go. Yes, that's happened to me a couple of times. I would prefer that death not be the answer to leaving, or doing nothing except wait for daylight, so without Exit To Menu, what is the player's solution to getting out alive? Will some of the craftable Teleports include Return to Overland Map?

stratigos, Womby, 4EverLost and 4 others like this.
  2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Excellent question... ;)

3. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

run for your life or die.

4. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

Cant happen. The entrance is recorded when you enter the scene.

5. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

This would be a great opportunity for us to be able to click on a bedroll in our backpack so that we can sleep to advance time - at least in offline mode ;)

4EverLost likes this.
  6. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Actually I just had a "fun" time leaving Aerie. The exit to the overworld map was NOT on my compass.:(
    And it's a big town!!!

niteowl57, Womby and 4EverLost like this.
  7. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Alt-F4 and worry about it in the morning??

niteowl57, 4EverLost and Sara Dreygon like this.
  8. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

To be honest, I think that "Start on Novia" was a very cheap way of getting yourself out of trouble. It's basically a free cheat button.
    While I would keep it for cities and civilised areas, where getting to the exit is just a tedious and sometimes long walk, I reckon having it in "adventure scenes" and dungeons would be a missed strategic opportunity.

We should need to plan carefully our adventures.
    Make sure you have enough light sources, and don't keep going any further if you think you may not make it back to the exit with your life.
    Come on, are we adventurers or girl scouts? :D

There should always be consequences to our choices. That includes choosing where to go and when.
    If I get lost, that means I did something wrong. If I get killed while trying to find my way out, that means I made the wrong choice, and should face the consequences.

That is not to criticise the OP: a spell or craftable magic item to get you out of trouble I think is a good solution, as long as it is balanced - i.e. should be costly enough to still pose the question "is the risk of getting lost or killed worth consuming my limited use teleport item/spell"?

Single player could use some bedroll/advance time system as suggested multiple times by Lord Darkmoon - that is also a staple of any old-school RPG, including Ultimas, and of course you could be attacked during the night if you were camping in dangerous areas.

stratigos, Quenton, 4EverLost and 2 others like this.
  9. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

The hell with "getting out alive", I've been using it a lot lately because on a low-frame-rate system, something keeps decaying the frame rate (sometimes in as little as five minutes) and I need to reload the scene to have better performance than a slide show. Right now the game is literally unplayable after I've been in a scene for some time, unless I can reload a scene with exit/resume. I always worry that I'm not going to be fast enough going back in and end up in a fresh instance.

I would give better feedback about it in the bug forums, but the fps display in /debug doesn't seem to be reliable below about 6fps or so.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  10. Selene

Selene Avatar

I am tempted not to say the sky is falling until they bring in the planned teleport, and we see how hard they are to make (and how costly), how often we can use them, and where they can take us. If it is too limited, I am full prepared to begin a kermit flail campaign.

[​IMG]

Gurney2, niteowl57, Phydra and 7 others like this.
  11. Noric

Noric Avatar

what about the maps with broken compass markers?

niteowl57 likes this.
  12. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

Its a bug and will be fixed.
    If someone report the bug.

4EverLost likes this.
  13. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Who said you were ever suppossed to have a safe way out? Lol I'm sure the devs would want you to brave the dark and come out alive and wiser or die a horrible death. Either way is fine with them. :p

Joking aside, I agree that zone needs to go away and /stuck should be limited but start on overland map really has no high impact exploitable function, its just a minor convienence function i think most of us enjoy. It should stay in the game imho.

Since there is an in-game timeout, it's not an instant out and therefore not a significant risk for abuse.

niteowl57 and 4EverLost like this.
  14. Noric

Noric Avatar

Think i reported some like 3 releases ago and at the time they were "known" issues.

15. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Not always. I have been in scenes where no exit was recorded. Luckily I was able to use the /stuck command to find my way out in the dark.

16. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I think it would be great to be able to 'put up camp'. Even if we can't advance time, it could be a nice way to rest-up in relative safety from the dangers of the dark unknown around us. Maybe while camped we could do other things like some minimal crafting or setup traps, manage inventory, prepare music/meal buffs.. I actually think it would be great to be able to build an 'observation perch' that allows us to scout ahead at the enemies, and develop strategies to defeat them. We could use the ground to build a miniature of the battlefield in front of us, and play out mock scenarios based on the observed movements during our scouting observations. All this planning could give our characters temporary innate skills that would activate as we carry out the plans according to our laid out strategy during the camping session.

Lets have some cool different ideas that blend strategy and thinking and survival techniques to our gameplay! Thanks.

17. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

If you entered the instance from the map then there IS an exit on your compass, it was noted when you walked in soooooo, find it and take your chances, if you die :oops: In the future sure the loss of an item might be a risk, but life is a risk :cool:

18. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

sounds like memory leak.
    mostly on port to fix this, but you can tweek a few things.
    theres a few programs and ways to allocate more RAM for shroud.
    that may help.
    if ya only got 4g of RAM there isn't a much that will help.

19. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

This is why we asked for the feature. When Ardoris came online people were getting stuck in the city and lag turned the game into photo.

20. Noric

Noric Avatar

I hope they fix PoT entrance/exit distance issues before they remove this feature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.