Post "Truth Bomb" questions.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bridge Troll, Mar 16, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bridge Troll

Bridge Troll Avatar

I now have a pretty clear picture of the ownership of the game and how Atos stepped up to take responsibility to keep the game going after it was no longer interesting to the others. Thank you. What I do not have clarity on is the plans for the future of the game. It was comforting to hear Chris say that he is certain he can keep the lights on, but I am curious as to whether all this means the game is mostly built now, or if there is still more to come?

Are we still pursuing Episode 3? Is it known what that will entail? Did the Portalarium to Catnip conversion change game plans? I just want to temper community expectations for speed of change... Also I have a pretty big idea brewing and I want to see where it could fit into your plans as I write up a proposal.

Beaumaris, FBohler, Time Lord and 8 others like this.
  2. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Pledge backer expectations is 5 episodes total pre-bought.

Thank you Bridge Troll for posting this post. You are right it is good to flesh these out even if they don't materialize. I hope there is 5 episodes as I love SOTA's adventuring stories. :)

Ancev, FBohler, Time Lord and 5 others like this.
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Episode 2 isn't even out the door yet. Let that happen first.

Cordelayne and FrostII like this.
  4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I'd be elated if they spent 6mths fixing all that is here but somewhat "broken" and then move on to new stuff.

5. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

That's the 100 sq ft rug in a 90 sq ft room issue. Spend 6 months fixing the current issues and he'd have 6 months of work left the fix all the issues raised or revealed by the fixes.

Cordelayne and FBohler like this.
  6. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Would be great to see Chris act like Richard wasn't his boss//

Imagine working so hard as a programmer, having everything thrown into your lap just because a rich guy got bored and lost his creative passion, or worse lost the incentive to try keep the $ going. (and do we really think Richard had the right to sell a project it was renown for 'being created by and for the community'?

Rename the game, give part ownership to the seed investors and // create player working groups to find new creative vision from people who will actually stick around in their free time.

In what realm is it ok to excuse yourself from something you helped create and dismiss your presence because the current work is boring?

Onwards and upwards. New lords, new visions.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
    Time Lord likes this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I really feel that you are incorrectly characterizing RG and I'll bet that @Chris would feel the same way. Also, he is still involved with this game (although in a much more limited way). In fact, he not too long ago held a ONBE ceremony at Castle Atos. Lastly, removing his participation and influence from this game would not help it in any way.

[edit] There's also this coming in July.

Akandriel, Cordelayne, Xee and 4 others like this.
  8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Can we talk about monitizing ideas and ideas of monitizing without it being a taboo subject yet?
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...idian-potions-of-x2-x3-or-even-x4-exp.171474/
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...offline-sota-issues-whats-your-issues.171468/

We have a great brain bank here from our forums members, which seems to be dominated by those seeking free stuff.

• Money = Development
    • Development = Money

They are one in the same, inseparable, and all our ideas need to include how to pay for them (aka) "Monitize Them".
    It has been the direction of "giveaway & free" that has brought us to this point.
    The micro transaction can and does work, but we must also work with it.

I expect to be whipped and badgered for bringing this up again.

Know more of what is needed, when suggesting what is needed.

So get on with it, have at it!
    [​IMG]
    I bought $100 Coto today...
    because I love you all :D:thumbs up:
    ~Time Lord~

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The answer is not to find ways to squeeze more money from existing players but to find ways to attract (and retain) more players.

10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Doing what doomed our past, would doom our future!"
    [​IMG]
    RIP Portalarium, all hail "Catnip Games, The Kwisatz Haderach!" :):thumbs up:

11. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

Greetings!

As you all know, we are working on Episode two and have been producing new content for Mistrendur as we move forward. We need to get Episode 2 done before we start on Episode 3 design let alone a timetable. The latest scene 'Grusk' is now on the QA server and available for exploration and feedback. Please be sure to see the testing directive Sannio posted in the the Player Test Environment forum section.

Everyone working on the project today has a passion for the game and wants to see it succeed. Our aim is to continue making new content for as long as we can. The pace may slow, but there is no intention to stop. We have been transparent in what the team is doing the issues we have all faced over the last two years due to everything life has thrown at the world, the team and the game. One of the pacing changes that has already taken place is the move to a Tick/Tock development cycle; allowing us to address bugs and quality of life changes the game needs to attract and retain new players. The pace at which we are developing new content will be tweaked as needed as we progress.

Working on a game with as small a team as ours, our planning and pacing must be more dynamic. Planning out and publishing definitive plans and time frames for all 5 episodes now would not be the right thing to do. We have to be able to adjust things as we move forward.

I have been working with Richard on a number of SotA aspects, including Lord of the Isle fulfillment, the 'Sword of Midras' sequel, 'Eye of Scales', and long term plot development that would lead to a story climax for Episode 4/5 time frame. The plotlines and overarching storyline are not yet solidified (Richard, Chris, Keith and I still need to meet to review concepts and forge the main plot)

As Chris has noted on stream, he is working on something that should be good for the game in the longer term. More information will be released on this topic when details have solidified.

We have a good community here. Constructive discussion is always welcome, let's be positive and look towards the future together.

Ravalox

12. Bridge Troll

Bridge Troll Avatar

Thank you Ravalox. I wasn't seeking a timeline, but it sounds like the original 5 episode general plan is still active. Thanks for the reply, it was well written and informative.

FrostII, FBohler, Ravalox and 2 others like this.
  13. Powersurge45

Powersurge45 Avatar

Our game is in a very good place right now...I would love to see a "treasure hunting" style mechanic implemented and i would love to be able to view "buy" orders for vendor listings. But other than those 2 wish list items, I'm very happy and will continue to be here. The amount of content coming at its current pace is excellent and I'm very satisfied. We need more players...there are years of content here...from crafting, resource gathering, business ownership with armor/weapon/resource vendors, real estate, garden farming, dungeon creation, fishing, cooking, brewing...even the performance arts are part of our game. Let's face it...options in activities are now virtually limitless. And you can make ANY build work with enough experience...I mean how awesome is that? I can be 2handed sword wielding Death mage if I want or a anhk/staff wielding, plate wearing, potion drinking life mage purging the land of undead. You can even walk around like Thor with full viking gear with the lightning hammer and summon lightning as an air mage. I mean geez!!! What more could you want :)!!

I would love to see an advertising campaign to attract more players. Of course that takes money...but its not the game holding us back at this point...in my opinion at least.

Vaiden Luro and Time Lord like this.
  14. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

A while back Chris tried to, but a game funded by a multi billion dollar corporation was basically buying all the ad space and couldn’t. I don’t know if that’s still the same case currently.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This is something that was on the roadmap. I don't know if it still is but I certainly hope so because it's something that I'm really looking forward to.

FrostII and Time Lord like this.
  16. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Wasn't that the explanation for "Why isn't SOTA successful" for the weeks between "Steam made the patch not work" and "Unity changed something and made the the patch bad"?

Time Lord and FBohler like this.
  17. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

You're so smart

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.