POT Templates

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Poor game design, Jan 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

+100 this... :)

2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I wasn't going to comment here, because I don't own a POT - not because I wouldn't like to, just can't afford one. :(
    But after reading Fister Magee's post here, it dawned on me that we ALL are affected by the current "Universal Pax Lair" model - and it gets quite boring quickly.
    Every POT is basically that same layout, and I do remember the dev's saying that there would be individual "meetings" with them for POT owners to "customize" each one. So far, it seems that what they are being given is the "Universal Pax Lair" model and told "Here, work with this.".

Pax Lair was laid out to Winfields specifications - as it should have been.

Now it's the other POT owners turn, is it not? :mad:

3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Actually not really.
    Winfield was great in that he knew that his base template would be re-used for other templates. So he invited ALL POT owners to add input and feedback into his process. So what should have been 'his' template acutally isn't since he was trying to accomodate all possible variants.
    For instance the positions of the two castle areas are designed for PvP scenes, something which PaxLair isn't.
    etc
    The only problem was that most POT owners didn't pay attention and a vocal minority even berated Winfield for doing that effort, since they thought (and probably still think) they would get a fully custom scene of their own.
    What the issue really is, is that all scenes based on the PaxLair template right now have the Entrance in the exact same location - which severely restrict any owners options on where they can build lest they want to enforce a 10min run every time someone wants to find their town center.

If the choice of entrance was different then the perception for players like yourself would be that it would be a totally different town.

It is like Kingsport and Solania, they feel completely different but they are based on the same template. This is in large due to them having the entrance at different ends.

Check this out:

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...holdfasts-and-wasted-space.40575/#post-455600

It seems that like I predicted that Portalarium aims for the second solution I outline in that link, although without the option to change it like I outlined, but rather have it in the form..

4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Winfield may have "known" that his base template would be reused for other templates, but I know that not ALL other POT owners understood that this would be the case.

While he may have "invited" ALL POT owners to add input into HIS layout, not all POT owners understood or accepted that this would be their ONLY input.

Sorry Spoon, I do respect your perspective and input, but the POT situation here stinks a bit to me.

5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Winfield did a fine job, and I have nothing negative to say about Pax Lair or his efforts. But the template for Pax Lair was built for Pax Lair, and it was ALSO built in mind for reuse. But it wasn't and couldn't be all things to all people. It was a great and well deserved reward that Pax Lair was able to make the first template. They are leaders in the community, have a long history with UO, and generally conduct themselves extremely well (though there are always outliers). But the process was not "right" and did not take into account the desires of all the POT owners. So I take issue with the notion that everyone was invited and somehow that makes it ok. It makes it ok for Pax Lair, and anyone that enjoys that style of template, but through no fault of Pax Lair it was doomed to end with unhappy POT owners. And I think that's what was expressed during that time by a number of people.

6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Never said he didn't.....
    Nor do I...
    Exactly !
    As are MANY others...
    As do MANY others...
    As do MANY others...
    Correct. And those people are now speaking out once again, and they deserve to be heard as much as Winfield...
    IMO, of course.

7. Drocis the Devious

I was responding to you, in agreement. I wasn't trying to say you said or suggested otherwise. :)

FrostII likes this.
  8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Misunderstood then, my bad... ;)

9. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

Can't believe this bitching....
    ask for stuff you want to be done for different templates, give input, offer Ideas, make templates the devs can use....... but stop suggesting someone who really cares about all players to have fun with the game, make meetings so all can share ideas and get things done together was selfish and used others to get his things done.
    That fits much more to others here.

Duchess Fionwyn, Tahru and Solazur like this.
  10. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@FrostII
    @Baron Drocis Fondorlatos

Yea I hear you about the process. I put in a proposal for a completely different process, I also put in proposals for the POT submission form, and for changes to the one they did make.
    So I'd be the last to say that the process of making the templates was to my liking or that I thought it fair.

Instead that post was about Winfield going above and beyond in a way which he didn't have to do.

Also that lots of owners do not research this stuff and do not listen to those that have and that I think most of those who don't will be disappointed.

BUT I also think that they shouldn't have to research that much, nor that the real info they need to know should be everywhere but in the POT store. To me that is where I would want all the info given about POTs should be, or at least links there to where the info can be found. So that people can make informed decisions based on the current/latest data when buying.

11. Drocis the Devious

Gaelis, I don't think anyone is suggesting Winfield or Pax Lair was selfish. I know I'm not.

I'm just saying that because of the process, Pax Lair was able to get what they wanted (or close to it), and the rest of us had to follow that lead. I mean, the Pax Lair template has nothing to do with what I designed for Rats Nest. So it's not about saying Pax did something wrong, it's about saying the process stunk and regardless of what Winfield tried to do, it still stunk.

And as for making templates, I've probably made about 200 (I'm not kidding) that I have privately sent to the devs over the last year. These could certainly be used by other POT owners, but that's never been my primary concern. I simply purchased a POT and wanted to get what I paid for.

Scraps MacMutt, FrostII and cartodude like this.
  12. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

The paxlair forest template would work a lot better if they:
    1) got rid of the parking lot,
    2) filled in that area with trees... You know, like a forest for the forest biome,
    3 ) flattened that entire lower area (there are lots of little rises)
    4) get rid of the inland lake and turn it into more forest area.
    5) take the upper area And level it out so its at the same height up there instead of the area for a castle.

Then add more trees....most of the player run (the non-pot/non-NPC) towns have far more trees.

13. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

What we are getting for the templates, before episode 1, is what we have currently (and the what I estimate - maybe 3 to 6 more). The Grassland will be Feb, the Mountains either March or April, and maybe some 2 to 4 more before beta.

No, I do not have a crystal ball, it's merely what I believe the timeline will allow. If you are thinking that none of the current ones work, we either have to wait (like some static defined towns may have to) or adapt or walk away from it.

I have learned to be in the adaptive category, so while I understand the frustrations, it just makes everyone uncomfortable if we try to apply a different reality to the one that is occurring.

14. Drocis the Devious

I'm right with you on the adaptation vibe.

In no way am I suggesting that Portalarium make a custom scene for me and my POT. Rather I'm saying that I can't be the only person that could use a template that is similar in characteristics that I'm looking for in Rats Nest. And since I also assume that we'll have a few more templates to choose from between now and launch, this is my lobbying to ensure at least ONE of them is something close to what I'm looking for.

FrostII and Stryker Sparhawk like this.
  15. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Wait to see the other two templates. I think arx said soemthign above about beign able to submit a static town design and areas being flattened to accomodate the lots

The piddly ability well expand as stated by the devs. As far as static towns, i believe you have the ability to do a bit more with those since they are building each of those internally before releasing them.

16. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

I fully understand the desire of that. :)

17. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

i'd imagien the grasslands would be prey flat, or having the ability to be made flat pretty easy, since your town is static. jsut guessing.

18. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

i wouldnt be suprised, later on down the line after release, in a later patch or episode, to see the ability to place a lot on a near-flat area and have it auto-flatten to accommodate

Solazur, Gaelis and Spoon like this.
  19. Drocis the Devious

My town is on a swampy island on the overland map though. It's in a location that makes sense for me, and the lore I've already written. I haven't decided yet if it should be static or dynamic, I can see advantages for both. I think having a dynamic town would be wise for the long haul, we never know how many interesting new features or assets might be available in the future.

What I'd really like is for Portalarium to create a swampy island that is flat.

Duchess Fionwyn likes this.
  20. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

PoT template discussion, WInter Telethon 2 days ago or yesterday, whenever it was

Gaelis and Mata like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.