PoT's and perception of over power.

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by rune_74, Sep 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nepenthor

Nepenthor Avatar

Hear!...Hear!

Duchess Wyldemane likes this.
  2. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

There goes my entertainment for the evening :(

3. Womby

Womby Avatar

Let's assume that a dispute such as this arises on average once a year per POT (wild guess). Let's also assume that at launch there are around 300 POTs. That means that some poor dev is going to be drawn into a petty dispute every working day of the week. They won't know the details, so they will have to correspond with both sides in the dispute, possibly also talk to third parties, think about it, then make a decision. That's at least half a day gone. Seems like that would be an ideal task to delegate to the players - which is exactly what they have done.

Duchess Wyldemane and mbomber like this.
  4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

If the PoT owner and his friends are in the wrong, he gets ban power with no questions asked. Don't like someone because your friend told you he did something he didn't like...don't even need to talk to him, just ban and tell anyone you want to that he did this or that...his word against yours, but at the end of the day he got banned so he was in the wrong.

Very rarely would I trust a player involved in a dispute to put making the right decision in front personal feelings.

5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I don't trust most players to make good design decisions.

6. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Xandra7 and Rufus D`Asperdi like this.
  8. Drocis the Devious

It also sounds like a problem that doesn't exist.

If you don't like POTs you don't have to go to them. I don't think serfs had that option.

You continue to say things like this, and these are false and misleading statements based on bad logic. You should stop saying things that are absolutely not true. You're not giving an opinion here, you're stating something as a fact that is clearly not even close to being accurate.

9. smack

smack Avatar

If it will never materialize, then why even have these powers -- again, currently as implemented. Just to be clear, I'm not against some level of manageability, not just in the way it's been handed down.

And what would that do to this game if they did that? Is that really a viable solution? Continue to band-aid the root cause? Just as suggested above, fix how selective multiplayer works, just for a situation that "will never materialize". The devs wouldn't have to do anything if they addressed the root cause and how it's been implemented. There are so many alternate solutions. Plus, they aren't going to create 500 PRTs. They'd more likely ban the POT owner and take over the town for GMs to manage or give it to a current resident or even another POT owner to manage.

I agree with this, but it's what happens after choosing to live in the POT which turns bad because of overreaching powers beyond the original problem and without due process to its residents, its connected POT and its community at large.

10. smack

smack Avatar

Land won't be plentiful. There will always be more deeds than property lots post-launch.

11. Drocis the Devious

Why don't you just stay out of POTs then? What's the problem?

12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I don't think you are in a place to say things like that.

I'm not wrong in saying that anyone using a lot in a PoT has zero rights at the moment....anyone entering a lot can be banned for absolutely no reason. These are facts.

I don't see an issue with adding some controls there. There should be no complaints in that. As far as I can see, it one, makes the PoT owner look better in that anything that gets done would be on the up and up and two it gives some support to the players who can then trust a PoT more then they can now.

I did say I would not live in a PoT and do you know why? For the exact reasons I have been stating, because you have zero protection from the human in control. Why would I put myself in a position that is reliant on that person not changing his mind?

Xandra7 likes this.
  13. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

If your worried about people griefing then don't have events, what's the problem?

14. Drocis the Devious

You were saying that non-POT owners were serfs. That's not true. That's totally false.

And you don't have to live there...so what's your problem?

No one has to live there. So there's no problem.

15. Drocis the Devious

Broken logic again.

16. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

You have that backwards... Port has said the deeds will be restricted. There will enough lots for every deed plus about 30% more lots than needed. So land (ie lots) won't be an issue ... getting the deeds will be. Even after launch. They've stated this in practically every hangout that housing has come up in.

17. Womby

Womby Avatar

The opposite is true. Currently there is more land available than deeds with which to claim that land. That situation will continue post launch. It is a deliberate policy of Portalarium to restrict the number of deeds - see how village lot deeds have already run out in the Add On Store.

18. Drocis the Devious

I agree, that's also my understanding.

mbomber, Womby and cartodude like this.
  19. smack

smack Avatar

You're not thinking long-term. Players, over time, will let their houses decay, for any number of reasons. Those deeds are returned to those accounts. The land is now claimed up by existing deed holders. They release a small number of deeds again, but they won't create new land because they'll run their metrics and notice lots of open land from decayed housing. Those property lots get taken up by existing deed holders or new ones. Repeat this cycle and over time, you will have more deeds in accounts than claimable property lots.

20. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

But you're missing the point... Port has said there will be at least one lot for each deed plus 30% more lots... period.... does not mater if a lot/deed decays... they are not adding in more deeds too account for this. They've never stated that. There will always be enough lots for all the deeds.

mbomber and Womby like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.