Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

POTs are going to be ignored, unless we get an indicator

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by Isaiah, May 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I like this idea, but only if it's run through Portalarium and I as a POT owner can update my own information. I love what they're doing at Sotamaps, but I don't like chasing them to get correct information on the site. The same goes for Sotawiki and others. I'd much rather have an option connected to my POT form that lets me do it myself the way I want it done. Having a section for history and lore, events, etc...that would all be well received by me.

2. agra

agra Avatar

Also, PoT visibility is just another layer/filter. You could pretty easily add an option to sotamap.com to show only PoT's, or hide PoT's, which would add tremendously to the versatility of the site. It would also make it -much- faster.

Xandra7 likes this.
  3. Noric

Noric Avatar

You have every right to make that decision.

However, considering the amount of free resources Jakub has provided with sotamap, i'm not sure we should be particularly harsh on him for monetizing some PoT aspects of it.

Elwyn and Womby like this.
  4. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

the Phoenix Republic has been kind enough to take me in lol, I shamefully have not thoroughly visited all of its affiliates but I know that Port Phoenix and Jade valley have them for sure, they are located on Elysium. It's the armor armor and weapons merchants that sell them.

5. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

Check in Jade Caverns it is located beneath Jade valley entry is by the bridge small hatch on left side. It also has connections to numerous pots.

Moonshadow likes this.
  6. agra

agra Avatar

Port Phoenix is a PoT.
    Jade Valley is a PoT.

The issue I raised is with Playing RUN Towns, not Player OWNED towns. And in particular, the new PRT's introduced with R29 that have the NPC core.

It sounds like, potentially, that POT NPC's sell repair kits, while PRT NPC's do not, which would be very unfortunate for attracting players to PRT's.

7. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

my bad

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  8. Womby

Womby Avatar

It's about visibility. Very few people will know about or have that link readily available. Almost everyone will use sotamap.com frequently. Besides, the creator of sotamap.com deserves a little support for his outstanding contribution to the community, and $10 for POT owners is not an awful lot, considering that the cheapest POT is $900.

Elwyn likes this.
  9. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

I would like to see a small indicator that a town is a POT. Maybe a little icon next to the name.

It would save me from entering a town, seeing it has a governor, grumbling about how I hate POTs on principle, and turning around and leaving.

Elwyn, agra and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  10. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

The problem is so much about this game takes people OUT of the game. Internal game resources are far better options than out of game sites, especially for those who only have 1 screen. I have absolutely nothing against any out of game resources (I use them constantly because there is no other choice), but not having anything in game just feels wrong. Unfortunately, it just seems that the focus is not on keeping players engaged in game (lots of different threads about lots of different ways this applies and I don't want to go off topic, but feel free to PM if you aren't aware of those), and instead the devs appear happy to let new players be horribly lost and unengaged and confused while they try to fumble through and find the things the experienced players already know.

Sir Frank likes this.
  11. Womby

Womby Avatar

I would like an in-game world map where places that have not yet been visited are obscured by a "fog of war" type mechanic. I would also like:
    - tooltip information on various points of interest
    - an indicator showing where on the map I am
    - the ability to mark destination points on the map
    - clearly marked roads

I imagine that the map would become visible in a small area surrounding you as you explore, and this visible area would accumulate over time, reminding you of places that you have yet to visit.

Moiseyev Trueden and Shadow like this.
  12. Shadow

Shadow Avatar

I think it's likely a side effect of what commonly gets said, "the community can do it far better" and from their perspective it's resources that can be allocated towards other goals. Which makes sense from a management view I suppose, but results in much of what you said. Some of the external resources could be incorporated into the game with a little work, but that would bring up issues with quality filters and abuse.

I have a feeling most POT will be ignored and potentially empty, save for the community that lives there. Even getting people to live in one if they don't know the owner is like pulling teeth. Who wants to risk being evicted at a moments notice. What ultimately brings us into a scene to begin with? You could probably narrow it down to two general categories. Story and questing only applies to NPC towns. Housing and Resources are all that's really left. If you can't hunt or gather there, then it's about crafting tools and resources from vendors, and potentially living space. If you live elsewhere, then I suppose all that's left is crafting stations and specific vendors? We can't have training NPCs so you're stuck going to NPC towns for that, and you likely already know where the crafting vendors are in those towns. So given the option, why enter the POT at all? Maybe if it's a remote location where there aren't any NPC towns, you check in the off chance they sell what you're after. If you're after high end items, it's likely player crafters will be targeting high traffic NPC towns if they're able. The prime real estate. Some people will just ignore POT outright, but that's their choice.

The only reason I own a POT is that I haven't any faith that there would be a lot in the size I want, in an NPC town. Potentially even a PRT. I could have upped my pledge considerably and been happy, but split it up in order to not have to worry about having a deed I couldn't use. At least with a POT I can choose exactly where I want things. I just wish we had more ways to make the POT feel a bit more lively like the PRT. Or even entice people to live there. Maybe toggle a lot to unreserved and give up the right to evict. I don't know, not sure how to make it any more enticing.

13. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I guess it is about visibility.
    I'm not saying sotamap is bad.
    Sotawiki.net is no more difficult to type than sotamap.com.
    I think people will use bookmarks to get there anyway.
    Both are edited by players, and may or may not be up to date.
    SotaMap looks better.
    I think the free asset stands a better chance of being updated.
    Sotawiki has more stuff available, and has been around a long time.

14. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Things I need to play the game should be in the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.