Probably beating a dead horse ...

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Aralain, Jul 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

Just have to look around. Much like the npc recipes you won't find them all in one place. Just because someone is selling them for 20k gold does not automatically make them worth that much. For example, I could list 1 coal for a million gold but that doesn't mean anything.

Your best bet is to have someone with all the recipes teach you everything they know. I know there are some players willing to do that for a small fee (20k for all teachable recipes is a STEAL compared to paying 250g or more a piece for them.)

2. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

Maybe they should have made having the recipe make it cheaper to gain the knowledge to craft the item. Like 10k exp to learn how to make X but only 1k if you have the recipe. Still worth some gold to avoid the exp hit but not limiting.

Anyways, I've got about 100 table top catapult recipes I'll give away... please some one take them!

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I never charge to share recipes. Many I already had from long ago before they changed up the way it is done. When I'm back the end of August anyone can hit me up to trade recipes with them. I'm Majoria in game. :) Just send me a whisper or mail message in game. If you want them sooner pm me here and I can get you in touch with others who are happy to share free of charge. I also left instructions with Wizards Rest town members to help if any needs it but of course I didn't need to since they are all wonderful at doing that anyway.

Jatvardur likes this.
  4. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

It is true that you could just go to a website and look the recipe up. Just like you can look up a map of resources or a spoiler for a quest, if you don't know how to do that.
    The difference was that the discovery system, in order to put a recipe into your book, you had to ACTUALLY MAKE IT.
    This often ended up costing considerably more than the 250g cost for buying a recipe from the NPC, anyway.

I have long been against this....frankly, stupidity, of "you must kill 10,000 bandits and search their pockets for a particular piece of paper to learn how to make a supple leather strap, when you know already how to make regular straps, and then you immediately destroy that piece of paper after reading it." It makes no logical sense whatsoever. Same as the whole teachable/reteachable paradigm.

I'm not against there being some "rare" recipes that can't be taught, but the core material recipes being unavailable except by sheer dumb luck (and sufficient adventure level to spend hundreds of hours grinding/farming the recipes or money to buy them) is a huuuuuuuugeeee barrier to entry to crafting, and nonsensical besides. If I know how to make a dagger blade, it shouldn't matter what type of metal I'm using. At the very least, someone should be able to show (teach) me how Or I should be able to do a task/quest/buy the knowledge from a friendly blacksmith. The only way to learn how to do it is to rely on something that only has a what, 0.01% chance to drop from a supply bag that only has a 1% drop to begin with? How is this a better system?

I say bring back full discovery and expand teachability.

Failing that, we can place recipes as deco now, so lets let people learn by reading them that way? Recipe libraries! Crafting Academies! Down with rng! Crafting needs far far less emphasis on adventuring, you already need to adventure to finance the materials and fuels having to finance the recipes as well is just overboard.

/gives dead horse another kick

5. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings all. I admit I use the wiki and other web pages to learn crafting, deck building, times for the portals and so many other things but I also admit that I am lazy. The game is meant to be hard, tedious, and sometimes grindy but there are reasons for the design. Adventures and exploration are the part of the game I like the most. Getting money requires me to go kill mobs which require me to learn combat and deck building. Crafting requires me to gather resources or spend the money I make killing mobs. Re-teachable recipes require me to discover them or buy them. And harder recipes require me to be patient until I can find them or afford them. It all depends on your play style. BTW I played UIII multiple times because I keep discovering areas or dialog chains I have not seen before.

On a side note... @Tiina Onir I would love to see a list of recipes and their teachable status.

Tiina Onir likes this.
  6. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I LOVE the idea of quests to learn the skills/recipes from Master Crafting Artisans.

Witcheypoo, Jaesun and Tiina Onir like this.
  7. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

I have not learned the "hug advantage" yet either. Is this teachable?

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I hope so!

Brugas likes this.
  9. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, I don't know what they should do about this.

I definitely at least think they should cut out the thing where even though you know how to make an iron hilted sword, you don't know how to make a bronze hilted sword. That's crazy. Also, un-exotic recipes should be simple, not difficult, to find. Other than that, I would prefer they make most teachable and focus on exploration as a means to get rare ingredients, rather than rare recipes.

I think there's a possibility in the future for them doing teaching through copying recipes, ie a scribes skill tree, like I described here.

Witcheypoo and Nelzie like this.
  10. Alioth

Alioth Avatar

Crossroads Alleys for one, at least a half dozen vendors often listing many recipes for 1500-2500 gp.

A few vendors charge 15-20k per, but usually they have everything.

I charge 7500 gp per archery recipe at my shop, because I want to maintain stock. If I don’t charge that much, it’s just the recipe resellers that buy, and I run out of stock too quickly.

Also, the high cost of getting recipes is a good way to get crafters to specialize. Took me 2 months just to get all the bow recipes, so I could dedicate my crafting time to that tree. But having narrowed down my interests has also made the game more fun for me, personally - kind of like limiting your pallete when painting.

11. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I carefully shop and find NPC vendors that always have very good prices for recipes, and note where they are and buy from them. :)

12. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

I've created a page that shows what's Re-Teachable/Discoverable. This is probably not it's final home, not it's final format, and it doesn't link into the rest of my web-site yet, but https://www.sotadb.info/by-learned.

And if there are any mistakes, please PM me. I'll fix them as quickly as I can.

Witcheypoo and Jaesun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.